• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980 SSB microphone hanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPrine

Loving my new Uniden 980 SSB transceiver. Have it mounted on a vintage Kamel Kriket hump-mount with the built-in speaker and microphone hanger.

But, I'd like to use the little metal microphone hanger mounted to the radio itself. One was in the box, but the two included screws were obviously not intended to use on the radio itself, and the two dark metal screws on front of either side of the radio, are apparently too large for the mounting holes on the metal hangar.

Does anyone have any information of what size and length of screws to use? I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks for any information!

James

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The mic clip is not intended to be screwed to the radio. If you drill holes in the radio, you are likely to damage it.

prcguy

About a week a go I took a new Icom radio to Home Depot and dug through the metric screw drawers until I found some that fit my purpose. You can do the same with your 980.

On a sort of related topic, today I found a Youtube video showing how to make the stock 980 mic sound better by enlarging a hole in a rubber cover over the mic cartridge. In doing this I found the self adhesive white cloth looking thing between the rubber cover and mic cartridge really restricts high frequencies and taking that out made a huge improvement in the transmit audio. The stock mic sounded a little muffled and the mods really opened up the highs and made it louder.
prcguy

Loving my new Uniden 980 SSB transceiver. Have it mounted on a vintage Kamel Kriket hump-mount with the built-in speaker and microphone hanger.

But, I'd like to use the little metal microphone hanger mounted to the radio itself. One was in the box, but the two included screws were obviously not intended to use on the radio itself, and the two dark metal screws on front of either side of the radio, are apparently too large for the mounting holes on the metal hangar.

Does anyone have any information of what size and length of screws to use? I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

James

Last edited:

JamesPrine

Screw holes in radio,

The mic clip is not intended to be screwed to the radio. If you drill holes in the radio, you are likely to damage it.

The Uniden 980 comes with three holes pre-drilled in its sides for mounting the microphone hanger; they are set up so you can mount the hanger either horizontally or vertically. And the mounting holes precisely match the mounting holes in the hanger itself. But the included mounting screws are too large to fit those factory holes.

On all my other transceivers, I use the two screws that are used on either side of the radio cabinet; these work nicely and are very solid. The screws on the 980 don't fit the holder holes, either.

Not wild about using magnetic mounts, and I don't want to use adhesives.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As prcguy posted, take your transceiver to either Home Depot or Lowes. Because Lowes is close to me, that's where I go for such hunting of hardware.
I think the 980 uses metric. At Lowes, they have drawers with either SAE or metric, and usually have them in black also.

JamesPrine

In other words, no one knows. It's hard for me to get to a Home Depot, the closest one is many miles away, and I am confined to a manual wheelchair, and I'd rather buy something a little less difficult to obtain. But thanks for the help!

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Many of the electronic companies no long place schematics or parts list in their manuals or online any more.
Tomorrow I'll try to see what size is used in my Cobras and reply back here. My thoughts are that they all use about the same size threads, but lengths may vary.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Do the ones for the mounting bracket fit the hole for the mic holder by chance? If so they're 5mm. I would suspect the shorter the better. Kinda surprised it's not stamped on the radio or in the manual but I didn't see it in the manual.

prcguy

Next trip to Home Depot I'll take my 980 along and measure the screw size. Which ones in particular are you need?
prcguy

In other words, no one knows. It's hard for me to get to a Home Depot, the closest one is many miles away, and I am confined to a manual wheelchair, and I'd rather buy something a little less difficult to obtain. But thanks for the help!

Ravenkeeper

James

Did you ever fine some replacement screws? I took my clip off of my radio this weekend, will gladly mail them to you, as my mic is on a Steelie Magnet "mount." Send me a private message with your mailing address, if you haven't replaced your screws, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.