• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Today is "National CB Radio Day"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsav21

Premium Subscriber
Tubes

The first CB radio I owned had tubes in it and was as big as a bread box...( if anyone here knows what that is )

Bob

Last edited:

RFBOSS

I try not to make judgement calls about other peoples hobbies.

BTW, I do know what a bread box is/was and I even know about bread board circuit construction.:D

I built my first crystal radio using a cat's whisker on a breadboard before the transistor was invented.

Look what I did there, I just made myself feel old...

CB radio is what it is, a hobby radio service to give it a name. Unfortunately some, not necessarily the majority, take it to an extreme (a lot of not so clean RF driven by not so clean audio). But it is safe to say that is true of other hobbies.

So...

I Roger D good buddy, catch you on the other side. Keep the shiny side up and the wheels between the ditches. This is the Coffee Man and I am gone.

Okay to be clear, I have not turned on any of my class D CB radios for a long time and my vernacular may be somewhat dated (who am I kidding, everything about me is outdated).:D

TheSpaceMann

I try not to make judgement calls about other peoples hobbies.

BTW, I do know what a bread box is/was and I even know about bread board circuit construction.:D

I built my first crystal radio using a cat's whisker on a breadboard before the transistor was invented.

Look what I did there, I just made myself feel old...

CB radio is what it is, a hobby radio service to give it a name. Unfortunately some, not necessarily the majority, take it to an extreme (a lot of not so clean RF driven by not so clean audio). But it is safe to say that is true of other hobbies.

So...

I Roger D good buddy, catch you on the other side. Keep the shiny side up and the wheels between the ditches. This is the Coffee Man and I am gone.

Okay to be clear, I have not turned on any of my class D CB radios for a long time and my vernacular may be somewhat dated (who am I kidding, everything about me is outdated).:D
The transistor was invented in the late '40s!!! :)

bobsav21

Premium Subscriber
My first mobile CB was made by " Johnson" I think and it looked like a telephone with a telephone handset.
Does anyone remember those ?

JayMojave

I'm not kidding! Just do a search!! Designated October 4th!!! (10/4) ;)

Hello All: Good deal 4 Oct, CB radio Day.

The Eisenhower administration got what they wanted by giving a band for citizens use. Wisely bypassing the Ham Radio community. Because of the Soviet Sputnik satellite scare this country went into overdrive to further the sciences and technical education. Billions and Billions were spent on schools and such to improve and upgrade our countries science capabilities.

My High School had a large area of basket ball courts taken out for a new very large science building, and shop classes and buildings were also put up on the other side of school.

The CB radio Service launched literally tens of thousands into a communications and electronics careers. I know I am one of them. Having inexpensive radios that could talk across the country was sear Guinness, or a terrible mistake, I'll take Guinness. Having to improve ones station with bigger radios, taller antennas, and of course linear amplifiers drove many on to Ham Radio and science related careers.

My high school had a very impressive electronics class, teaching basic to some what advanced electronics teaching, which is still used by me today. A real plus when taking tests for a job. But the academic goof balls dumped the Industrial Arts Classes for budget concerns and I am sure they wanted to push more incoming paper clip type useless teachings such as ancient European history and goof ballism 101. such a shame.

So the CB Radio Service has served and helped this country out significantly. Every once and awhile I will say Ten-Four (10-4) on the local 2 meter repeater, and I can tell many will bite their tong and cringe, he he.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

bobsav21

Premium Subscriber
100 %

I agree with you 100%.....

What these schools teaching kids these day's is a travesty.

Ask some 16-17 year olds if they know how to change a spare tire ?" All you'll get is a blank stare..
If they dont have an " App " for it they dont know what to do.

prcguy

The telephone looking mobile from Johnson was from about 1972 or so and the first Johnson mobile was the 5 channel "White Face", which was also a base unit. I've had both and I still have a White Face buried in the garage somewhere with AC and DC power cords.

In the mid 1970s a friend of mine wanted the telephone style Johnson CB so bad he traded his Colt AR-15 for one. Today the CB is worth maybe $10 and the Colt SP-1 about $1,100.

I am also one who's career benefited from CB. It got me much more interested in electronics in Jr high and high school which led to a bench tech position right out of high school then the commercial 2-way radio business to aeorspace and satellite broadcast.
prcguy

My first mobile CB was made by " Johnson" I think and it looked like a telephone with a telephone handset.
Does anyone remember those ?

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Agree with Jay in his post #13. The cutting of the 11 meters from the amateur band was what started many in their careers as electronics techs, experimenters, builders, etc.
I still think that 11 meters is a great place for many; it allows them to get their feet wet without having to buy expensive equipment. And the fun of talking half way around the world is a thrill to many. (I know, you're not suppose to, but there's NO harm to anyone. (don't get me started about the fools who run extremely high power!))
The Russian's Sputnik went up on the 4th Oct.'57, and just 11 months later, CB was started. And those two incidents was a blessing to each other and to the millions later on.

TheSpaceMann

Hello All: Good deal 4 Oct, CB radio Day.

The Eisenhower administration got what they wanted by giving a band for citizens use. Wisely bypassing the Ham Radio community. Because of the Soviet Sputnik satellite scare this country went into overdrive to further the sciences and technical education. Billions and Billions were spent on schools and such to improve and upgrade our countries science capabilities.

My High School had a large area of basket ball courts taken out for a new very large science building, and shop classes and buildings were also put up on the other side of school.

The CB radio Service launched literally tens of thousands into a communications and electronics careers. I know I am one of them. Having inexpensive radios that could talk across the country was sear Guinness, or a terrible mistake, I'll take Guinness. Having to improve ones station with bigger radios, taller antennas, and of course linear amplifiers drove many on to Ham Radio and science related careers.

My high school had a very impressive electronics class, teaching basic to some what advanced electronics teaching, which is still used by me today. A real plus when taking tests for a job. But the academic goof balls dumped the Industrial Arts Classes for budget concerns and I am sure they wanted to push more incoming paper clip type useless teachings such as ancient European history and goof ballism 101. such a shame.

So the CB Radio Service has served and helped this country out significantly. Every once and awhile I will say Ten-Four (10-4) on the local 2 meter repeater, and I can tell many will bite their tong and cringe, he he.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert
Good points!! Those were also times when the threat of a nuclear war was a significant concern, and the government knew that a war could take out the electric and telephone grid. In that event, CB would be a way for many citizens to still maintain some means of communication.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My neighbor celebrated by renting a Peterbilt with a CB, picking up a hooker at the nearest truck stop then driving around cussing at everyone.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
IAsk some 16-17 year olds if they know how to change a spare tire ?" All you'll get is a blank stare..
If they dont have an " App " for it they dont know what to do.

That brings to mind the "Liberty Insurance" commercial where two kids are stranded with a flat tire, and one of them is on the phone with his dad.

"I know what a lug wrench is dad!" He turns towards the other kid and asks in a whisper "is that a lug wrench?"

"Maybe..." the other kid nervously replies. <thud!>

Status
Not open for further replies.