• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy only powers on after shaking upside down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nissan11

Hey guys, I just bought a used Galaxy 959 which I have hard wired to a 30 amp fuse box in my truck. When I power on the radio the LCD does not come on. I can only hear a very faint hum. I discovered that if I turn the radio upside down and shake it that the LCD screen will light up and I can hear radio traffic. It will continue to work until I go down a rough road and then it stops working again. Is tgere anything simple or obvious I can check or do I need to ship this unit to a CB shop? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20171012_201222.jpg
    20171012_201222.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 348

SnowWalker

I discovered that if I turn the radio upside down and shake it that the LCD screen will light up and I can hear radio traffic.

Hmmmm; it works only after you turn it upside down and shake it? My wife isn't inside that radio, is she?

Actually, I have three, 2016 & 17, Galaxy DX 959s (2 are SSB) and all three have have not given me any problems. Unless you are up to date to work on these radios, I would take it to a reputable CB or radio shop. By the sounds of it, something is loose on the radio's circuit board.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are comfortable opening it up, I'd look for loose connections. Make sure everything is properly seated. -Carefully- unplug and replug each one if you can. Be really careful with the flat ribbon cables.

If that doesn't fix it, off to the shop it should go.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Once a friend of mine dragged me over to his friends house to fix a TV. It was apparently an emergency because they had the small TV upside down on a kitchen chair and the family was watching it that way. It only worked upside down. How they discovered that was a mystery. Anyway, I sent the guys wife off to find a small artists paintbrush and used it to lightly probe all the parts until it failed again. I located an unsold eyed coil in the color section.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Nissan11

I pulled the bottom cover off and am a bit lost as to what I shoukd be looking for. Are there certain areas more likely to be the ussue or do I just need to look everywhere for something out of the ordinary? Do I need to take the top cover off too?

SnowWalker

Then don't touch it.

I pulled the bottom cover off and am a bit lost as to what I shoukd be looking for. Are there certain areas more likely to be the ussue or do I just need to look everywhere for something out of the ordinary? Do I need to take the top cover off too?

The new units are not as robust as they were twenty & twenty-five years ago. They can be very easily damaged. I now sit with a ham operator (VE7 BZE) who loves to tear radios apart and put them back together. He has shown me time & time again the difference between the older radios and the new ones. The new radios, in a lot of cases, require specialized tools to work on them.

Spend a few dollars to have your radio repaired by someone who is equipped with proper tools, analyzers and "knowledge".

RFI-EMI-GUY

Once a friend of mine dragged me over to his friends house to fix a TV. It was apparently an emergency because they had the small TV upside down on a kitchen chair and the family was watching it that way. It only worked upside down. How they discovered that was a mystery. Anyway, I sent the guys wife off to find a small artists paintbrush and used it to lightly probe all the parts until it failed again. I located an unsold eyed coil in the color section.

Should read unsoldered not unsold eyed. Damn you auto collect.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Use my artists paintbrush technique to find the loose component or wire. You will likely find the solder missing or cracked upon inspection. A small bit of solder and he can say you fixed it yourself.

kf4eyr

chiming in here but many radio i have seen with this problem turned out to be the screws that hold the circuit board to chassis was loose,,,, have you tried to tighten them? make sure power is off to radio so as not to short any thing out while covers is off,,,

Nissan11

Those screws are tight.

I touched everything I dared with a brush and could not find anything wrong. It looks like I am going to have to ship it somewhere.

Nissan11

I made a 2 hour round trip today and dropped the radio off at a place called Crossbow's CB shop in Olivia, NC. It was the closest shop I could find in which the person who answered the phone was friendly and acted like they wanted my business. I will report back what they find wrong

Nissan11

I just picked it up from the shop. The owner said the power regulator was bad which is why I was having problems. He also said the 959's have places that are common for there to be problems with the soldering that he went ahead and soldered. He said he also fixed a problem with the wiring in the mic. He also "peaked and tuned" it and that the radio is now opperating at it's max potential, "swinging 35 watts" whatever that means. Anyway, I spent $75 which was more than I wanted to but the owner of the shop says it is going to be a good, reliable radio for me so I am happy.

FiveFilter

It's probably in better shape now than a new one. At least yours has been tested and reinforced much better than a new one, and the weak spots reinforced.

Best of luck with your new and improved Galaxy 959!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I just picked it up from the shop. The owner said the power regulator was bad which is why I was having problems. He also said the 959's have places that are common for there to be problems with the soldering that he went ahead and soldered. He said he also fixed a problem with the wiring in the mic. He also "peaked and tuned" it and that the radio is now opperating at it's max potential, "swinging 35 watts" whatever that means. Anyway, I spent $75 which was more than I wanted to but the owner of the shop says it is going to be a good, reliable radio for me so I am happy.
That swinging 35 watts,is 35 watts of Modulation on SSB not bad for that radio......

Status
Not open for further replies.