• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Sirio Gain-Master installed but poor TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

I installed a new Sirio Gainmaster with with rg213 cable, mounted on to two top rail fence post which are 10.5 feet each and am using a Galaxy DX 44 radio. I checked the SWR and they are below 1.5. Went out in the mobile and had the wife key up from base back and forth over a 13 Mile radius and could only get out on the base for about 7 miles without losing total reception on the mobile. The RX/TX were near the same both ways. I could hear other base stations clearly 25 plus miles out on my mobile and I could talk to them on my mobile, but my base station could barely hear me nor transmit to me. I don't know if I did that great at installing the connectors on to the coax cable, could That be my issue even though the swrs are below 1.5?

Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How long is the cable?
Is the cable pinched, damaged, cut, coiled up, etc?
Tell us about how you installed the connectors?
Were all outdoor connections properly waterproofed?
What is near the antenna? Is it well up in the open?
Any thing between the antenna and the radio other than the coax?

stlouisx50

How long is the cable?
Is the cable pinched, damaged, cut, coiled up, etc?
Tell us about how you installed the connectors?
Were all outdoor connections properly waterproofed?
What is near the antenna? Is it well up in the open?
Any thing between the antenna and the radio other than the coax?
The cable just under 200 feet. I have about 25 extra feet, coiled up inside near the radio. None of the coax is pinched, however I did notice when I was about done mounting the antenna to a tree, that some coax was tight between the u bolt and the mast. Not mashed down though and no outer jacket damage. The antenna is up in a tree and has 1 branch from another nearby about 5 feet away. The branch that's touching is about .25 in diameter. The other tree is only about 6 inches in diameter.

I did a horrible job installing the connectors onto the coax. I watched a ham operator of 60 years show how he did it. So I tried to do the same. I cut about 1.5 inches from the end (outer jacket), then cut 2 extra notches of outer jacket (for space to keep the copper ground) then pulled the outer copper fanned it over the outer jacket , twisted it, snipped it so that it would fit within the extra notches I made. Slid the first ring (screw on connector) onto the cable and then did my best to screw on the other connector (that you solder the center pin). Soldered only the center pin. I noticed I didn't get it screwed down to far but did get the connector on over the outer grounding copper and was able to solder the center pin.

Per the video I was not to solder the middle hole areas (only the end, center pin) as the reason to cut the outer jacket a few snips back and use the outer copper as the ground with the connector smashing it.

Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's a lot of cable. All coaxial cable has loss, and the longer the cable is, the more loss there is. You could be losing close to half your signal just in cable loss.
If there's any way you can make the cable run shorter, it's going to help. Even getting rid of that 25 extra feet.
Or, you need to upgrade your cable to something better. If 175 feet really is the length you need, then using a higher grade cable might be a good idea.

Nearby tree branches can be an issue. If you can cut that branch off, it might be a good idea.

Sounds like there may be an issue with your connectors, too. Installing coaxial connectors takes some practice, so no shame there. Might be worth either finding someone to help you, or upgrading the cable/ordering to length/and getting the connectors installed for you.

Looks like you have a decent antenna. The coax could be better, but that can be expensive. Probably first thing you should try is getting someone to assist in installing the connectors.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, might be a good idea to check continuity from end to end and make sure there isn't a short circuit between the center pin and the outer shield (make sure you disconnect from the antenna first, as this is a DC grounded antenna and will show a short).

stlouisx50

That's a lot of cable. All coaxial cable has loss, and the longer the cable is, the more loss there is. You could be losing close to half your signal just in cable loss.
If there's any way you can make the cable run shorter, it's going to help. Even getting rid of that 25 extra feet.
Or, you need to upgrade your cable to something better. If 175 feet really is the length you need, then using a higher grade cable might be a good idea.

Nearby tree branches can be an issue. If you can cut that branch off, it might be a good idea.

Sounds like there may be an issue with your connectors, too. Installing coaxial connectors takes some practice, so no shame there. Might be worth either finding someone to help you, or upgrading the cable/ordering to length/and getting the connectors installed for you.

Looks like you have a decent antenna. The coax could be better, but that can be expensive. Probably first thing you should try is getting someone to assist in installing the connectors.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, might be a good idea to check continuity from end to end and make sure there isn't a short circuit between the center pin and the outer shield (make sure you disconnect from the antenna first, as this is a DC grounded antenna and will show a short).
The cable type should not be that much of an issue, it's RG213U. So id guess out of the things left, connectors and length are the problem.

Due to the pain in the butt issue of demounting the antenna, pivoting it down and all. I may try to find and extension ladder and try to install a new connector near the antenna, retest the RX/TX, see if it helped, if not, put a new connector on the radio end and see if that helps. Then the last resort cut the cable shorter since, if you cut it too short, there's no adding it back.

Thanks [emoji16]

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, but unless they are both properly installed, you will have issues, eventually.
Soldering the large connectors outdoors is difficult. Any wind at all carries the heat away. Applying too much heat will melt/deform the dielectric. It's a bit of a trick to learn the right amount of heat.

Tinning the outer shield before putting the connector on can help. You'll need a good hot soldering iron, too.

I'd also find a way to move the radio and antenna closer together. 200 feet of coax is a lot for an antenna 20 feet in the air. It's really not doing you any favors. You are losing close to 1/2 your signal in the cable alone. That loss works both ways, transmitting and receiving.

stlouisx50

I agree, but unless they are both properly installed, you will have issues, eventually.
Soldering the large connectors outdoors is difficult. Any wind at all carries the heat away. Applying too much heat will melt/deform the dielectric. It's a bit of a trick to learn the right amount of heat.

Tinning the outer shield before putting the connector on can help. You'll need a good hot soldering iron, too.

I'd also find a way to move the radio and antenna closer together. 200 feet of coax is a lot for an antenna 20 feet in the air. It's really not doing you any favors. You are losing close to 1/2 your signal in the cable alone. That loss works both ways, transmitting and receiving.
Well, not the greatest of news. Soldered both ends of the coax and trimmed it down quite a bit. Verified no coax is bent and still have poor output on the DX44. Tried my Magnum 257hp and had about 2 more bars on a base 22 miles out. Said I was hitting him at 5-7. Where as the DX44 was 3.5 to a 4.

I tested the 257 to his base first, then hooked up the 44 and then reconnected the 257 and noticed truckers 3 miles away came in at a 3 to a 5 out of 10.

I also did a continuity test and both ends passed. I did notice today two small tree branches are touching the antenna after a storm but did test the SWRs on Ch 1, 19 and 40 and they all show less than 1.5.

So I'm very confused and concerned about my TX, thought I'd do better and question why I'm only getting truckers at a 3-5/10 strength 3 miles away.

stlouisx50

Sounds like a radio issue.

If the only thing that changed was the radio, then that would indicate a radio issue.
I did come up with one additional issue that could be the problem. I hooked up the voltage meter to the power supply, transmitted and noticed a good drop in voltage. Depending on how loud I was, there was definitely a drop in voltage. Voltage with the radio off 13.75, Dead key at 13.61 with max output of the meter rated at 13.8. If I said something loud when keyed up, it would drop to a 12.43 v.

Could the whole issue be the regulated power supply?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Could be. Couple of questions:

1. What kind of power supply is it? Brand, model, amperage, etc.

2. Have any of the radios be adjusted, "peaked and tuned", modified, improved, or otherwise changed from how they were out of the box?

3. Any other accessories in use? Amplifiers, in line watt meters, noise makers, etc?

stlouisx50

Could be. Couple of questions:

1. What kind of power supply is it? Brand, model, amperage, etc.

2. Have any of the radios be adjusted, "peaked and tuned", modified, improved, or otherwise changed from how they were out of the box?

3. Any other accessories in use? Amplifiers, in line watt meters, noise makers, etc?
Here is the power supply
2320d404c0426e73d5423f23fdc0b7df.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, so a normal CB radio will pull about 2 amps on transmit. If that power supply is good, it shouldn't have a problem with 2 amps.
If you are running any other radios, accessories, etc. that could push it over the edge. The voltage drop isn't abnormal on it's own, but it's a sign it's bogging down a bit.

Some CB radios will draw more than 2 amps, either due to age of components or modifications.

Might need a bigger power supply, or find a way to reduce the current draw on it.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You do need a bigger supply. a 36 if you want the radio to do full output. I have a 36 and a 52 amp I have no problems...

Huh???

The Galaxy DX44V Manual said:
13.8V DC nominal, 15.9V max, 11.7V min.
(Positive or negative ground).
Transmit:
AM full mod., 2.2A.
Receiver:
Squelched, 0.3A.

His current power supply is more than big enough, if that's the radio he is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.