• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting CB & Antenna on newer SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorbidAndrew

It seems the newer vehicles, in my case a 2017 Chevy Tahoe, makes it very difficult to install and mount a CB and Antenna. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. I am trying to stay away from magnetic mounts and windshield adhesive mounts. Thanks!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Larsen NMO27. I like to put my CB antennas on a fender mount on the driver’s side of the vehicle.

Depending on the size of the radio you wish to use, mounting that is somewhat difficult. If you don’t mind not having use of the center console storage area, Havis makes an insert which sits down in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, 100% on the Larsen NMO-27. Professional antenna that will outlast your vehicle. I'm using one that's nearly 30 years old.
Avoid mag mounts unless you really don't have an option. They work, but as a long term solution they suck. Lots of drawbacks. The benefits are pretty much convenience, and that's about it.
Best performance is going to come from doing a permanent NMO mount on top of the vehicle where the antenna is in the clear. Center of the roof is ideal as it gives you the best ground plane for the antenna.
Mounting the NMO mount isn't horribly difficult but it does take some skill. You can often get a local radio shop to install one for you for a reasonable cost. They'll can route the coax, cut it to length and properly install the connector. Toss in a 6 pack of beer for the boys in the shop, and you can probably get them to put your antenna on their analyzer and tune it for you. Well worth the money.

As for small form CB's there are some good options. Take a look at the Uniden CMX-560 or CMX-760. These have a small RF deck that you can mount out of the way/under a seat, center console, etc. An RJ-45 cord, like what you'd use for your internet connection, can be used to extend the mic cord. The microphone has all the controls in it as well as a small speaker.
Other option would be the Uniden CMX-660, which you may be able to sneak into the center console.

I'm using the CMX-560 in my truck. It's a bit limited in what it can do, but it's good enough for my use, which is 99.99% listening only, and even then only on long road trips.

With any of these radios, adding an external speaker really improves the audio clarity and volume.

With any CB, the antenna is key. Spending a bunch of money on a CB but skimping on the antenna will give you poor performance.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I use the CB infrequently but when I do, I use a mag mount antenna. It's not great but it works fairly well.

I did, however, mount a 2m/440 antenna on my '16 Sorento. It came with the roof rails but no cross bars. I got cross bars and mounted the antenna there. I got a mount designed for cross bars. It's certainly not as good as an NMO mount but, again, it works pretty well. I used nylon wire ties to fasten the coax from the antenna to the roof rails then back to the liftgate. The coax was then hidden in the headliner seams and rubber insulating strips to the radio under the front passenger seat. The radio head is mounted on the dash with 3M double-sided tape. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

I one doesn't want to drill and mount an NMO antenna, this is an alternative. Having said that, the NMO is still the better way to go.

cmdrwill

I did, however, mount a 2m/440 antenna on my '16 Sorento. It came with the roof rails but no cross bars. I got cross bars and mounted the antenna there. I got a mount designed for cross bars. It's certainly not as good as an NMO mount but, again, it works pretty well. I used nylon wire ties to fasten the coax from the antenna to the roof rails then back to the liftgate. The coax was then hidden in the headliner seams and rubber insulating strips to the radio under the front passenger seat. The radio head is mounted on the dash with 3M double-sided tape. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

I one doesn't want to drill and mount an NMO antenna, this is an alternative. Having said that, the NMO is still the better way to go.

So. you have no groundplane.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not much. The greatest distance I talked is about 50 miles on 440 so that's not too bad. I'm using a Yaesu FT-8900 radio and a Diamond NR-770 antenna. SWR is 1.3.

Rred

On 440, the crossbar that the antenna is mounted on, should function as two very adequate radials. With less directional connectivity into the rest of the structure. Not such a bad thing.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
As others said the NMO27 is ideal. I have one on my back seat of my truck and when i travel i pop it on the roof. I already have 5 other NMO's on the roof so it wasn't a big deal.

FiveFilter

After looking closely at the other alternatives, take a close look at the magnet mount option.

That's what I did, and I chose magnet mounted antennas for the three vehicles I use with the CB.

The reasons:

They allow the antenna to be placed in the best possible location relative to performance as guided by the SWR values.

They allow use of the CB without permanently altering the vehicle itself, especially requiring no holes to be drilled in the body.

They allow five-minute installation and removal, which is great for me since I only use the CB when on highway trips.

They allow the antennas to be used on multiple present and future vehicles provided the ground planes are adequate.

They allow the vehicle to be sold without needing to plug up holes in the sheet metal.

For me, the only real problem with the magnet mounts is how to get the coax from the antenna into the vehicle. I use a couple of methods: close the coax on the door or trunk weatherstripping, or leave a rear window slightly open and use a split rubber hose to fill in the gap past the coax. Although any such method causes a bit of inconvenience when using the door or trunk, I chose to put up with it due to the other benefits.

Some have reported problems with scratches and even rust spots where the magnet antenna is placed. I have had no such problems, being careful when placing and removing the antennas and not keeping them on the car without removal for long periods of time which avoids problems with water retention under the antenna.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Magnetic antennae are not the best. Having said that, that's what I use for some of the same reasons that FiveFilter stated. I only use it on the road, so to speak, and even then, not always. I see no need to permanently install an antenna that I might use twice a year.

I think the more you use the CB, the more the need to permanently install the antenna.

K6GBW

Another option, if you don't want to drill a hole and do an NMO mount, is to do a hood mount. You can get a small angled mount that fits into the hood channel so the antenna is along the edge of the hood. It does require a couple of sheet metal screws, but they are inside the engine area so they can't be seen. You can put an NMO mount and run the aforementioned Larson NMO-27. When you aren't using it, it's easy to just spin it off and store the antenna. This set up works well enough for a caravan or situations were you don't need maximum range.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Another option, if you don't want to drill a hole and do an NMO mount, is to do a hood mount. You can get a small angled mount that fits into the hood channel so the antenna is along the edge of the hood. It does require a couple of sheet metal screws, but they are inside the engine area so they can't be seen. You can put an NMO mount and run the aforementioned Larson NMO-27. When you aren't using it, it's easy to just spin it off and store the antenna. This set up works well enough for a caravan or situations were you don't need maximum range.

I'll add that if you do go this route, there's a couple of additional things you need to do:
1. The NMO mounts are designed to be mounted with the cable entry inside the vehicle, not exposed to rain, road salts, etc. You need to seal the underside of the NMO mount very well. Water inside the coax cable will cause corrosion and destroy the cable.
2. When you remove the antenna, replace it with the NMO rain cap to protect the topside connections.

Fender mounts have the drawback of being below the cab level, which will impact performance. The offset ground plane will also impact performance. As KE6BAY said, it's good where you don't need maximum range. However, if you do what maximum range, NMO mount in the center of the cab roof is the way to achieve that.

Mag mount will suffer from an approximately 0.1dB additional loss when compared to a permanent mount. 0.1dB isn't going to be noticeable by anyone.
The issue with mag mounts is the cable routing. You have to enter the vehicle somehow. If that path is through windows or doors, the cable -will- be damaged in the long term. That damage might be a pinched cable, which can increase reflected power. If the cable jacket it damaged, that means water is going to get in and corrode the cable from the inside.

bobmich52

I realize this is for a CB BUT

Strong agreement with the above

My Larsen 150/450/800 antenna is mounted on my 2012 Hyundai Tucson drivers side

very short cable run trough the firewall to my HP 2 & its low profile & works great for all bands & I live in central CT with a mix from low to high band/800

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Fender mounts have the drawback of being below the cab level, which will impact performance. The offset ground plane will also impact performance. As KE6BAY said, it's good where you don't need maximum range. However, if you do what maximum range, NMO mount in the center of the cab roof is the way to achieve that.

I would also have to agree with that. Mounting a low band 1/4 wave or high band 5/8 wave in the fender position is a performance compromise. For your average CBer, it will be a marginal difference though as many of us know the antenna tuning and radio alignment are the largest limiting factors with the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.