• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB for RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbob

I'll be on a road trip in the spring with a couple of other rvs. I'm thinking a cb radio would be a good method of communicating in case of no cell signal, etc. Looking for recommendations for units that would not require extensive installation (hand held, plug in?). I'm in a Class C so would like to avoid an antennae that has to be hard wired. Looking forward to recommendations.

bob

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Handheld CBs usually don't perform very well. If you don't want to drill, you can always just slap a magnet mount CB antenna on the roof or such.

Other options are FRS radios or MURS depending on how close you guys are going to be together.

ke4emq

FRS or MURS is a good choice if you just want to keep in touch with one another . If you are going to use the cb for traffic reports or try to use it to get help don't waste your money. I installed a corba base with an solar 99 base antenna and a midland in my jeep with a firestick antenna just to see what was out there .I have had them on for about six months and have heard maybe a dozen folks and i live within one mile of two interstates both trucking routes. Good luck on your trip just my thoughts.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
AS other s have said. I do have a CB in my Class A and I installed one in my parents Class C. We use them to monitor the highway and thats about it. I have a few VHF MURS radios, and also GMRS. Depending on where we are heading will depend on what band we use.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Handheld CBs usually don't perform very well. If you don't want to drill, you can always just slap a magnet mount CB antenna on the roof or such.

Other options are FRS radios or MURS depending on how close you guys are going to be together.

The roof is probably aluminum and even possibly has a rubber coating so that might not work. If you're gonna do it, do it right (mirror mount, permanent mount, etc.). I put one in my Class A because it's something I rather have and not need than need and not have. CB is more active in some areas than others.

If I keep mine on, I turn the squelch almost all the way up. That way, I get only the closest traffic. I once had a trucker call me to tell me my exhaust pipe was hanging down, probably too low. I pulled over and checked it. It was about 5 minutes from dragging the ground.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You might want to check out the Midland 75-822 handheld or mobile radio,it come with a auto adapter so you can plug it in to a 12 volt cig lighter plug and you can also connect it to an out side mobile antenna walmart.com has it for 78.94......

arbob

Radio for RV

Thanks for the input. For our purposes it looks like the MURS system would be a good fit. I will be researching that but in the meantime do any of you have a recommendation? We are using this for communication while on the road, i.e. take next exit, need gas, etc.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input. For our purposes it looks like the MURS system would be a good fit. I will be researching that but in the meantime do any of you have a recommendation? We are using this for communication while on the road, i.e. take next exit, need gas, etc.

If that's all you're using it for, MURS is probably the best choice. I would think there would be less interference than with CB or FRS.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The roof is probably aluminum and even possibly has a rubber coating so that might not work.

Didn't think about that, but you're probably right. Mag mount on the hood might work, but that is of course not the ideal place for it.

arbob said:
We are using this for communication while on the road, i.e. take next exit, need gas, etc.

If that's the case, then yes, MURS or FRS are the way to go. As was mentioned, MURS will probably provide the least interference. If all ya'll wanted to get your GMRS licenses, that is an option as well.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If that's the case, then yes, MURS or FRS are the way to go. As was mentioned, MURS will probably provide the least interference. If all ya'll wanted to get your GMRS licenses, that is an option as well.

If they're using the radios for on-the-road communication only, I wouldn't waste the money on a GMRS license.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If they're using the radios for on-the-road communication only, I wouldn't waste the money on a GMRS license.

Fair enough, but it depends on the distance between the users. The license would allow them to run higher power, use magnet mount (or other) antennas, etc. I can assure you that FRS/MURS handheld radios are not going to work more than a mile or so from inside one vehicle (Faraday cage) to another. As long as you are within that distance, no problem.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I got the impression they were traveling as a group, I.e., together

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I got the impression they were traveling as a group, I.e., together

I got that impression as well. Doesn't mean they will be able to remain within a given distance 100% of the time.

I do the exact same thing every single year (and have for the past 20 years) for a boating trip from Southern California up to Lake San Antonio up north. We have about 10 vehicles from RVs to trucks towing boats, and the handheld FRS/MURS radios were not terribly effective. We were traveling as a group as well, i.e. together, and we still encountered issues. Wasn't until we went GMRS with high power and external antennas that communications were crystal clear for the entire trip, from the front of the convoy to the rear and everything in between.

If you can stay within relative close proximity, yes, I imagine FRS/MURS handhelds will suffice. Doesn't hurt to have options though. ;) $65 for that option is a small cost to pay.

arbob

Caravan comms

Hi, Great responses from you all. The MURS seems the simplest and although crystal clear communications is not critical it is something to think about. alcahuete mentioned a $65 option. What is that?

alcahuete

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Hi, Great responses from you all. The MURS seems the simplest and although crystal clear communications is not critical it is something to think about. alcahuete mentioned a $65 option. What is that?

alcahuete

That the license fee for GMRS. FRS and MURS don't require a specific license. GMRS does. GMRS does allow higher wattage.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The GMRS license would allow you to run up to 50 watts, which is generally going to come from a high power mobile radio which would take an external antenna. It's like a mobile CB radio, but on the UHF band.

With that though, you're looking at the license fee (good for 10 years) and more expensive radios, external antennas, etc.

So of course, if you can get away with using handheld FRS or MURS radios,by all means do it. That is going to be the most cost-effective option by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.