• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Cobra 148GTL was the best CB ever made, but that was 43 years ago! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

Has anyone made a radio that is all around great like the 148? I sure have not seen it if they do. All the ones I have seen are cheap junk in a pretty case with colored lights. Piss poor ears. Huge finals in a circuit so badly designed that it takes a crap in a few months. Knobs fall off. Case made of thin metal. I could go on but you get the picture.

China could make a fantastic CB with more features in a bomb proof case, if they wanted to.

Opinions?

prcguy

The Cobra 148GTL was a good radio in its day (late 1970s) but far from the best. The first generations had the best workmanship but being 30 to 40 yrs old now they would need some work to put them in new operating condition.
prcguy

Has anyone made a radio that is all around great like the 148? I sure have not seen it if they do. All the ones I have seen are cheap junk in a pretty case with colored lights. Piss poor ears. Huge finals in a circuit so badly designed that it takes a crap in a few months. Knobs fall off. Case made of thin metal. I could go on but you get the picture.

China could make a fantastic CB with more features in a bomb proof case, if they wanted to.

Opinions?

lmrtek

Yep, CB radios hit their peak in the late 70s and it's been down hill ever since.
The Japanese radios were high quality and well designed.
There is actually a huge demand for those vintage CBs so there are
repair shops devoted to completely rebuilding them.
Ham radios and police and fire radios and scanners are junk today as well.
All are using cheap surface mount crap and they all lack the front end filtering radios had back in the 80s.
Today it's all about selling poorly made Chinese junk for huge profit
and as long as the lemmings keep buying em, they will never get any better.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Today it's all about selling poorly made Chinese junk for huge profit and as long as the lemmings keep buying em, they will never get any better.

Until better alternatives are available, we don't have much of a choice. It's also a double edge sword. I think it's crazy people pay $1,000 for an iPhone. What will that iPhone cost when and if they begin manufacturing them here in the U.S.? Take the Icom IC-R9500 list for $16,000.00! Street price is around $13.000.00! What that might that cost to produce in the U.S.?

Are we still even capable of producing such a device? Our country got rid of so many good people. We allowed other countries to steel our ideas, inventions, patents, and skilled people. Our schools are turning out hordes of smart-phone-zombies.

It's going to take a long time to make America great again. Surely not what's left of my lifetime.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I'm not a CB guy and "best" is probably subjective, but the Uniden BearTracker 885 looks pretty f'n rad:

ZhUzw57.png

BearTracker 885 Hybrid CB Radio/Digital Scanner

I've never seen or used this radio and can't really comment on anything other than the idea of a digital scanner + CB seems pretty neat. I don't think there's any 30+ year old radios that came packed with as many features.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm not a CB guy and "best" is probably subjective, but the Uniden BearTracker 885 looks pretty f'n rad:

ZhUzw57.png

BearTracker 885 Hybrid CB Radio/Digital Scanner

I've never seen or used this radio and can't really comment on anything other than the idea of a digital scanner + CB seems pretty neat. I don't think there's any 30+ year old radios that came packed with as many features.

If only it had SSB!

XTS3000

As a previous owner of a CB repair shop for the last 20 year, I've seen the decline in the quality of almost all CB's during that time. The 148 used to be one of the best radios for transmit, but especially receive. Now they are pure junk. The RF final now used in the current Cobra 148 is a AF (audio frequency) transistor! Not a RF transistor. If you whistle or input a 1Khz tone into a current 148, the final will blow almost instantly. The receive is horrible in the 148 and all the Cobras and Unidens now, they used to have decent SINAD at -110dBM to -115dBM. Now days decent SINAD is around -100dBm! That's a horrible receiver!

I've been out of the CB loop for the past few years, but before moving on to bigger and better things, the best CB for receive and transmit was the Galaxy 949 or Galaxy 959 by a long shot - both legal USA radios. Uniden and Cobra have been spending all the cost of their radios into making them look "pretty" with color LCD's and other non essential things, rather than making quality receivers/transmitters.

davidrfeeney

My CB Radio Base Station

https://imgur.com/a/fgp1M

UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic;

MegaWatt S-400-12 36 Amp Power Supply;

Driver's Product DPSWR2 External SWR Meter;

Midland 21-406 External Speaker;

RADIOWAVZ CB Double Bazooka Dipole Antenna

Homemade PVC Pipe Antenna Mount; Outside 3rd Floor Window, Vertical Orientation, SWR 1.0 to 1.3 Hooray!

Attachments

• BIG BUX CB RADIO SETUP MEME 1-28-18.jpg
    BIG BUX CB RADIO SETUP MEME 1-28-18.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,021
  • 20180126_124405.jpg
    20180126_124405.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,610
  • 20180126_100030.jpg
    20180126_100030.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,618

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Stryker makes good radios nowadays. As does President. The President Lincoln II is a good radio, as is the Stryker 955. Uniden 980 isn't bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.