• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Just snagged a Galaxy DX2547. Now tell me the bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

I haven't touched a CB in a decade and never a base unit. The price was right on this pup. Looks almost brand new. Except for the busted feet.

So, what do I need to know? I know they do drift a bit when cold. Group Mind tell me the bad news.
And the good news if there is any.

I have had no problems with mine with the exception of having to replace the light in the meter. Love my Galaxy DX2547 I have minimal drift on ssb. The GNF noise filter is for the birds tho.

JamesO

Best deal I hit recently was an older from 2003 that was built in Malaysia Galaxy DX-959 with a power mic on Craigslist for $50.

Needed to replace the meter, may have been able to try to free it up, but decided after 15 years a new meter would be the best solution.

I have been traveling quite a bit lately and have been bring a CB in the car. FInding out that most truckers do not run Waze and I have had many situations where people are not running Waze so the real time traffic conditions are not accurate.

I found with the CB on a 1100 mile trip saved my *** 2 times with really bad traffic and I heard about some detours. Again Waze did not have info for the road closures due to accidents.

I have also found that Google Maps is FAR better for real time traffic outside of major Metro areas, but no info on police or road problems. Seems to me that Google somehow tracks all the phones even if Maps or Waze is not running to compile real time traffic info. Was heading down I95 a few weeks ago and was riding shotgun with a friend, did not have a CB at this time. He was running Waze, NOTHING about the dead stopped traffic on I95!

I told him to exit, quickly pulled up Google Maps on my phone, showed backup on I95, Then found a very quick and easy alternate route following Google Maps.

So between the CB and Google Maps, I have saved a few hours sitting in traffic in the past month.

Last edited:

Astrogoth13

Has anyone changed the 9-normal-19 knob to act as a funny channel knob? Doing it that way would avoid taking the entire front panel apart to get access to the PA and GNF buttons. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.