• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newbie needing some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys , recently acquired a free 1973 model SBE 23 channel Sidebander 2 CB radio . It came with a dual antenna setup . Looks very vintage . Seems to be in decent shape .
My question is , how can I mock up this setup to see if it works properly or not . I'm new to the CB hobby and would like to see if I can get SKIP with this old unit . . Where and how should I set up the antennas and how should they be oriented ?. Thanks guys !

lmrtek

Not sure what you mean.
Dual antenna setup?
If you mean a beam antenna made up of horizontal and vertical elements, they came with a switch to switch from vertical to horizontal.
Vertical is good for local talking and horzontal is better for long range
side band

Ravenkeeper

Everything pretty much depends on your vehicle, the antenna mounts, the condition of the radio and antennas, Also depends on if you keep the dual antennas or change to just a single antenna.

You can take a low-end piece of crap CB and top of the line antenna(s), and can skip with the best of them. A friend of mine got some good skip with his 23 channel radio and a K40 magnet mounted antenna. You should get some really good skips with your setup after installing and tuning your antennas.

The above mentioned friend ran with that 23 channel radio, until his father bought him a Cobra 128. If we would get mad at him, one of us would call out, “Meet on 24.” Usually, it was cause he was being really big “D” to everyone else.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
In general, antennas, for best results should be mounted out of doors and elevated, but check the regulations as there is a height limit for CB antennas I believe.

Without knowing the type of antennas you have, the orientation question is difficult to answer, but if it is an omnidirectional antenna it can be mounted just about anywhere. If you have a directional antenna, such as a beam or dipole then you'd need to orient it towards the area you want to communicate with.

When deciding on an antenna location keep in mind the length of coaxial cable you'll be using. Long runs of cable, depending on the type you use could cause significant signal attenuation.

"Skip" will be present some days and not others and is dependent on ionospheric conditions. Best way to know is to listen and tune around.

Good luck in getting your station up and running.

thanks for all the replys , I appreciate it . Ill try and explain the antennas I have , each of them are about 2 feet tall , and have a semi-transparent coating on them , I can see the copper wire wrapped around them, Im sure these are off a big rig from the 70's , I don't plan on keeping these antennas , I plan on running something like a K-40 magnetic mount or a tall 102" whip antenna .
My goal here is just to test out the radio before I start sinking money into this hobby . I would mainly like to know if this Sidebander radio is junk or not , I hope the capacitors and what not aren't dried up yet . This thing is 40 + yrs old lol .

I was going to hook up the radio in my garage and run the antennas out attached to my eves troughs and hope for the best .

One last thing , since it is a 23 channel , which channels should I be monitoring for skip ? or can it be any channels ?

Thanks again guys !

spongella

Premium Subscriber
You'll still hear distant (skip) stations even with your 23 channel radio.

BushDoctor

Skip channel 6 heard it 4-8-18 4pm EDST

thanks for all the replys , I appreciate it . Ill try and explain the antennas I have , each of them are about 2 feet tall , and have a semi-transparent coating on them , I can see the copper wire wrapped around them, Im sure these are off a big rig from the 70's , I don't plan on keeping these antennas , I plan on running something like a K-40 magnetic mount or a tall 102" whip antenna .
My goal here is just to test out the radio before I start sinking money into this hobby . I would mainly like to know if this Sidebander radio is junk or not , I hope the capacitors and what not aren't dried up yet . This thing is 40 + yrs old lol .

I was going to hook up the radio in my garage and run the antennas out attached to my eves troughs and hope for the best .

One last thing , since it is a 23 channel , which channels should I be monitoring for skip ? or can it be any channels ?

Thanks again guys !

Channel 6 seems to be where i hear it first although i dont work it. Ch 36SSB 37SSB 38 SSB also

Great info guys !! I really appreciate it . One last thing . What antenna recommendations do you guys have for a half ton truck ? I want to be able to detach it easily but obviously want optimal performance for Ssb, DX / skip .thanks

FiveFilter

I use a 62.5-inch Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna on my F250, placed in the middle of the roof. I can install and remove it in a minute. It reaches way out there like any other antenna of its size.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Here channel 6 and 11 are the first channels to be heard when the band is open. SBE (Sideband Engineers) were an old venerable radio company known for their quality. They also sold ham radios.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys , recently acquired a free 1973 model SBE 23 channel Sidebander 2 CB radio . It came with a dual antenna setup . Looks very vintage . Seems to be in decent shape .

Unless you have some incurable attraction to vintage CB's, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Old technology, solder joints going bad, capacitors failing, and only 23 channels.

If you're actually interested in using CB radio, why not buy something new with advanced technology and design?

Consider:

Uniden BEARCAT CB Radio With Sideband And WeatherBand (980SSB) $119.98 & FREE shipping! Hard to beat!
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-WeatherBand-980SSB/dp/B007B5ZAES

Attachments

• 816MiSegsZL._SL1500_ (Mobile).jpg
    816MiSegsZL._SL1500_ (Mobile).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.