• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980 SSB SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmich52

My Question is as follows

Using a Little will mag mount antenna ( For now it is what it is)

Using the built in SWR meter, SWR levels are

Ch 1 2.4

5 2.0
10-1.5
20-1.0
30 -1.0
40 -1.1

Using separate SWR meter

CH 1 1.4
5- 1.3
10-1.1
20-1.0
30-1.1
40-1.5

My dilemma is

Which one do I believe ??

Have had some conversations on ch 19, was told I was 5/5

As soon as I get the SWR figured out, I'm going to the upper parking lot @ Buckland hills mall ( High Elevation) & Work The radio more, SSB especially

Thoughts & Ideas appreciated

TIA

prcguy

I would believe the separate meter, however the internal meter could be just fine. When you have a mag mount antenna the coax can have some RF on it and that will affect SWR readings. When you add an external meter and jumper coax you changed the physical length of the coax and the meters can read a little different. The physical length of the coax should not matter on an antenna except when it becomes a radiating part of the antenna, which you don't want.

Try using the radio internal meter and test with just the antenna connected then with the external meter and jumper connected and see if the internal meter reads different. Either way your match is pretty good and nothing to worry about.

My Question is as follows

Using a Little will mag mount antenna ( For now it is what it is)

Using the built in SWR meter, SWR levels are

Ch 1 2.4

5 2.0
10-1.5
20-1.0
30 -1.0
40 -1.1

Using separate SWR meter

CH 1 1.4
5- 1.3
10-1.1
20-1.0
30-1.1
40-1.5

My dilemma is

Which one do I believe ??

Have had some conversations on ch 19, was told I was 5/5

As soon as I get the SWR figured out, I'm going to the upper parking lot @ Buckland hills mall ( High Elevation) & Work The radio more, SSB especially

Thoughts & Ideas appreciated

TIA

Jigglehurts

My 980 is strange when I test it too with the internal and external swr meter.
... Senario1...internal meter by itself reads 1 across the band, no matter what I do to antenna.
...Senario2... External meter shows 1.3 on ch40 and 1.2 on ch1.
...senario3...Internal meter will show exactly what external meter shows if I go through the radios internal swr check with external swr meter connected.
Works good,get good range checks.

prcguy

You can check the accuracy of an SWR meter with a couple of 50 ohm loads and a T adapter. First check to see that you have a perfect match with a 50 ohm load connected to the meter. Then attach a T adapter with two 50 ohm loads right on the adapter with no cables for a 25 ohm load. The SWR meter should read exactly 2:1. If not calibrate it or get another one.

My 980 is strange when I test it too with the internal and external swr meter.
... Senario1...internal meter by itself reads 1 across the band, no matter what I do to antenna.
...Senario2... External meter shows 1.3 on ch40 and 1.2 on ch1.
...senario3...Internal meter will show exactly what external meter shows if I go through the radios internal swr check with external swr meter connected.
Works good,get good range checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.