• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do I need a license or anything to use a cb radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need a fcc license ? I’m trying to learn what kind of radio I can use to talk on. I have no license . Do I need a general radio license to communicate on a boefang ? Or do I need a ham license for that? And can I use a cb radio without a license for now?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No license is required for using a CB.

For a Baofeng, a license is required to talk, the one needed depends on the frequency you use. No license is required to listen on any frequency.

Rred

You might look at the FCC's web site to get more information on what equipment and behavior and uses are allowed, on CB, or amateur radio, or any of the other services. It does vary, and if someone files a complaint the fines can be substantial. So it helps to get the appropriate rule section and make sure you are in compliance.

caveman4684

No License for----CB / MURS / FRS

License For GMRS & HAM

While this is true, the Boafeng is not certified for use on FRS, MURS, and GMRS. It's fully capable of operating on those frequencies but it's against FCC rules due to it's output power. That leaves only frequencies that require a technician license.

I got a cb just now . But I can’t get anything on it , I have the rf gain all the way up and the squelch closed !

N8IAA

I got a cb just now . But I can’t get anything on it , I have the rf gain all the way up and the squelch closed !

Of course, you have an antenna attached to the radio on a proper ground plane? Might want to open the squelch to hear a hissing noise.
Larry

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
This may be a dumb question... but do you have the mic plugged in? A lot of models require it to be plugged in even just to listen.

needairtime

Might be a technicality, you do need a "license" to run a CB radio - but the license is "built into" the radio - anyone with legally manufacturer-licensed CB radios are allowed to use them in the country they were designed for (much like how 802.11b/g/n/... wifi "licensing" works.)

Just a warning that you may not modify the CB radio or use equipment not initially designed for CB radio, else that license gets revoked (modified hardware, including using linear amplifiers) or you never got a license to transmit (illegal hardware).

Same goes to FRS, MURS, and GMRS radios (though GMRS you need both an equipment license AND a user license).

BTW, I upgraded the antenna on my car CB radio today to a 5 footer from a 18" fiberglass. It made a clear difference, it will pick up more than before. Unfortunately this "new" one scrapes against the top of my garage door as I enter, I may have to go back to the weak, stubby antenna ... I never figured out what I'll do with the other 9 ft antenna I have.

Another note is that running a CB antenna inside the house/car does not seem to work very well - it needs to be outside, high, and well grounded. Center/top of car roof is ideal, but still needs a good ground. Having it in the center of the roof also reduces picking up ignition/fuel pump/other car-generated interference. And as testimony I tried running the 9ft antenna in my house, I barely can pick up anything.

ipfd320

Banned
???????--Scratching the Head Again ????
You Do Not Need a License to Use a CB Radio

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/citizens-band-radio-service-cbrs

Anyone, regardless of age, can operate a CB station – except a foreign government, a representative of a foreign government, a federal government agency or someone who has received an FCC a cease-and-desist order that is still in effect. Anyone who is eligible may operate a CB station for personal or business use, in accordance with the rules.

An individual license is not required to operate a CB station and the FCC does not renew formerly issued CB Radio Service licenses;

The FCC service rules for the Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS) are located in 47 C.F.R. Part 95.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Quote}
Same goes to FRS, MURS, and GMRS radios (though GMRS you need both an equipment license AND a user license).

**As For GMRS You Only need a User License----FRS No License Required Also MURS No License Required**

This was All Mentioned Above in Other Posts

Last edited:
West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
Taking a look back into time!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...9fd-ac9d-93c7f431a452/?utm_term=.df24711c9c70

By Caroline E. Mayer September 10, 1982

FCC Ready to Set Aside CB License Requirement

The Federal Communications Commission is getting ready to stop licensing of citizens-band radio operators.

As soon as President Reagan signs a noncontroversial bill Congress passed last month, FCC officials say they will move to eliminate their licensing requirements for CB-radio operators.

At the same time, the FCC will begin to reduce its role in the issuance of amateur-radio licenses. Instead of using FCC examiners to administer the required tests to potential amateur radio users, the agency plans to use volunteers supplied by American Radio Relay League, the organization representing amateur radio operators.

The FCC will, however, continue to issue licenses for these users.

The decision to drop CB-radio licenses will make it easier for consumers to use their radios before receiving official FCC permission. "All they will have to do is go down to the store, buy a radio and turn it on," said Willard R. Nichols, administrative assistant to FCC Chairman Mark Fowler. Consumers will not even need a temporary permit to talk over the CB as is now required.

Additionally, for those already licensed, the requirement of renewing the license every five years will be dropped.

The FCC currently approves 55,000 CB-radio licenses a month, largely through a routine process in which each application is automatically approved. That number is far below the one million applications the FCC processed a month during the peak of CB popularity in the mid-1970s.

Congress and the FCC believe that this routine has few if any benefits and only ties up agency employes. Congress noted in approving the law to allow the FCC to stop licensing CB operators that 2 million people, or about 10 percent of all CB operators, use the radios without any FCC license to begin with.

needairtime

**As For GMRS You Only need a User License----FRS No License Required Also MURS No License Required**
A lot of these make the distinction between user versus equipment (manufacturer) "license" or certification. While you may not need a user license, a certified equipment license is needed for GMRS as well, meaning, you can't repurpose a business class radio to a GMRS radio despite they're electrically compatible. The equipment needs to be certified by the FCC before use. The same goes for CB, one is not allowed to simply make your own CB radio and start selling it without certifying it with the FCC - this is the "equipment" license versus the "user" license.

I don't know if the FCC will ever lift the requirement for GMRS radios, I'd love to be able to use my business class radios for GMRS 15-22 - cheaper license, radios are almost free because they're obsolete due to narrowband requirement for business bands, but the upper 462 GMRS frequencies, bandwidth, (typically) power limits, and channel spacing match perfectly.

I believe it's because of the "simplified" license needed for GMRS - summarizing with "don't interfere" and "don't go over power" and the hope is that the "certified equipment" will prevent you from going off frequency - just like CB radios. Contrast it with licenses like business and amateur, you get plain unprogrammed equipment and licensing tells the FCC that you understand frequencies and know what you're allowed and not allowed to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.