RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2018, 6:11 AM

Aaaaaaaauuuuuuuuudddddddiiiiiooooooooooooooo...
Old 05-26-2018, 6:17 AM

Jonweinke.....thats not quite right as you didnt repeat it several times or spatter across 3 or 4 forum posts (channels...).
Suggest tou crank everything to eleven and try again..... ;-)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Channel 6 seems to have a language all its own, which is somewhat related to the Engilish language, but with many caveats.

For example, lets say you want to announce your going to the doughnut shop. You would usually say "I'm going down to the doughnut shop this morning". But on channel 6 you would modify that, announce it several times with a pause between the second and third statement emphasizing specific words and also insert your "CB handle" many times during the message something like this:

Yo, dis is da Grey Ghost and I be go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin, I say dis is da Grey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin. Dis is da Grey Ghost, da Grey Ghost, da Greeeeeeey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down, go-in doooown, to dat doughnut shop dis mooooo-nin, and I be back quiet."

As you can see, this language is very inefficient, taking several times longer to get the message across and in most cases the contents of the message is actually less important than the act of sending a message. Practicing this language also has the effect of lowering ones IQ, which may be simply a temporary effect, but in many cases it actually causes a permanent reduction in the senders IQ that cannot be recovered.

I've seen some cases where prior to sending a message over channel 6 the sender converses in a proper "Kings English" then switches to this other language during the sending of a CB message and then returns to proper Kings English when conversing in person. Its a fascinating phenomenon to watch.
Don't you mean the new language called Ebonics?
Old 05-27-2018, 3:49 AM

Similar, but less coherent.
Old 05-27-2018, 5:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ebonics is still alive and well in the media on nearly every cable channel. 25-30 years ago A woman who advocated Ebonics conned the State of Georgia for a large contract, then skipped out with the money right before the majority was going to run her out of town on a rail. Not sure if they ever found her. I call Ebonics and the people who use it, "Evolution In Regression"

Last edited by captainmax1; 05-27-2018 at 5:32 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM

There is also the occasional reference to "Mud ducks", "World-wide moeebeeeell","Readin da mail", "Walkin and stompin" and being "Bakkkwiettt"
Uniden 996XT, 785D, 536HPx4, 436HPx6, SDS100
Old 05-27-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotumola View Post
There is also the occasional reference to "Mud ducks", "World-wide moeebeeeell","Readin da mail", "Walkin and stompin" and being "Bakkkwiettt"
We have a CBer in our area Rossland BC Canada who calls himself Mud Duck, but I doubt very little that this fellow has anything that transmits over 4 watts.
Old 05-27-2018, 5:45 PM

Normally the superbowlers fortunately stick to 6, but today it sounds like some of them leaked to 19.
Old 05-28-2018, 5:13 AM

Well they have multiplied x2 as the other day they were in ch 12. In full force.....But you are correct generally they stick to ch6 and just splatter a couple of channels in either direction.
Old 05-28-2018, 2:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Brings back memories of "Wire Twister" in TN. He later got his ham ticket and moved there. I knew him personally, he helped me get my start in CB, and I was a fellow ham with him later. Great guy. But man, did he know how to run a CB station...
Old 06-01-2018, 7:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's a nightmare that as CB dies, or here in CA it is dead, all that remains is CH 6. Oh man!
Old 06-01-2018, 8:16 PM

In LA check ch 17 in the evenings or 38LSB, there is a lot of activity in English there. Otherwise tune to channel 5 or 7 or a few others for Spanish. Ch 6 has a form of English but it can be hard to decode sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogoth13 View Post
It's a nightmare that as CB dies, or here in CA it is dead, all that remains is CH 6. Oh man!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWalker View Post
We have a CBer in our area Rossland BC Canada who calls himself Mud Duck, but I doubt very little that this fellow has anything that transmits over 4 watts.
Wonder if he's the same "Mud Duck" that was always trying to hog up 19 in San Diego, years ago (late 80s/early 90s)?
Old 06-02-2018, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenkeeper View Post
Wonder if he's the same "Mud Duck" that was always trying to hog up 19 in San Diego, years ago (late 80s/early 90s)?
I doubt that, but I can ask him. He is a Canadian and I am not aware of him living in the US. This Mud Duck up here is 37 years old and is a back country 4X4 junkie.
Old 06-02-2018, 8:02 AM
OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesu_dave View Post
And of course the ever-popular "I just got DOWN!" and "I'm gettin' on UP!"
Isn't 'getting down' doing heroin? LOL...
Quantar VHF, XPR 8400 UHF, MSF 5000 900MHz
Uniden Washington, RCI-2950, Yaesu FT-897D
Old 06-02-2018, 9:29 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is good reason CB is referred to as the Children's Band. Although I maintained a top-of-the-line and modified Galaxy rig in my truck, I relied on my scanner and 2m/440 for real news and intelligent conversation. Just try sitting in one of those West Memphis truckstops and asking a simple question like 'are the scales open on the west bound side?' Ridiculous.
Old 06-02-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Channel 6 seems to have a language all its own, which is somewhat related to the Engilish language, but with many caveats.

For example, lets say you want to announce your going to the doughnut shop. You would usually say "I'm going down to the doughnut shop this morning". But on channel 6 you would modify that, announce it several times with a pause between the second and third statement emphasizing specific words and also insert your "CB handle" many times during the message something like this:

Yo, dis is da Grey Ghost and I be go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin, I say dis is da Grey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down to da doughnut shop dis mo-nin. Dis is da Grey Ghost, da Grey Ghost, da Greeeeeeey Ghost, and I be go-in down, I say go-in down, go-in doooown, to dat doughnut shop dis mooooo-nin, and I be back quiet."

As you can see, this language is very inefficient, taking several times longer to get the message across and in most cases the contents of the message is actually less important than the act of sending a message. Practicing this language also has the effect of lowering ones IQ, which may be simply a temporary effect, but in many cases it actually causes a permanent reduction in the senders IQ that cannot be recovered.

I've seen some cases where prior to sending a message over channel 6 the sender converses in a proper "Kings English" then switches to this other language during the sending of a CB message and then returns to proper Kings English when conversing in person. Its a fascinating phenomenon to watch.
haha made me laugh this morning!
Old 06-02-2018, 3:33 PM

That's because you know its all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSteward View Post
haha made me laugh this morning!