RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 1:04 PM

Default Cobra 29XLR No Signals In or Out

This is the second post about this darn setup I purchased at an estate sale.

I've been trying to get the locks that are covering the mounting bolts off with no luck, so I might need to take the whole thing to a locksmith so I can remove the radio from the external speaker.

I finally had a chance to test the thing today, and I think I might need a new radio. I had it plugged into power and a magnet mount, but I was getting absolutely no signal in. No sound, and the meter was not jumping at all. When I went to key the mike, absolutely nothing but a little static sound from the mike itself, for some reason.

I won't go into detail, because I made a quick YouTube video to show what I am talking about. Like I said, I'm guessing I have a bad radio, but I could also be doing something wrong.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRS5AUTSGyU

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2018, 2:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

on the Radio mike jack-----Try Jumping Out Pins 1 & 3 (Txmitt Pins)--If that works then its the Mic Problem---For Rxcieve jump out pins If i Remember Correctly 2 & 4 or 1 & 4

Another way to Check to see if the Finals are Blown--Hook a Speaker up to the Pa Jack and See if you Have Audio if so Tx Finals are good

Good luck --the xlr is a good radio--That was my 1st radio i used back in the day
Old 06-02-2018, 4:56 PM

Thank you for that.

I didn't jump out the pins, because I remembered I had a pretty much brand new 4 pin mike in one of my boxes that was working fine last time it was being used.

I plugged that in and tried again but to no avail. This time, each time I keyed the mike, there was a very, very faint pop coming out of the external speaker. Still no movement from the SWR meter at all. I plugged the external speaker into the PA jack and switched the radio to PA mode. Keyed the mike and absolutely nothing.
Old 06-02-2018, 6:49 PM

The TX finals (RF output transistor and driver) have nothing to do with audio coming out of the PA speaker jack into a speaker. You can remove the finals and the PA audio system will still work fine. The front panel meter is a basic indication that RF is coming out but an external wattmeter will tell a better story.

The radio could be toast or the OP may have a mic with a different pinout. If its a new mic the pinout on a 1970s or 80s vintage radio may be different, even for the same model. I would try shorting the pins as suggested by someone else to see if RX or TX comes alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post
on the Radio mike jack-----Try Jumping Out Pins 1 & 3 (Txmitt Pins)--If that works then its the Mic Problem---For Rxcieve jump out pins If i Remember Correctly 2 & 4 or 1 & 4

Another way to Check to see if the Finals are Blown--Hook a Speaker up to the Pa Jack and See if you Have Audio if so Tx Finals are good

Good luck --the xlr is a good radio--That was my 1st radio i used back in the day

Last edited by prcguy; 06-02-2018 at 6:54 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 7:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i seen your video,,, looks like you trying to use a royce mike,, find a cobra mike and test again before tearing open,,,,
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2018, 8:22 PM

Thank you, everyone! Shorting the pins with a wire gave me transmit and receive. I tested with my scanner, and it received the signal. The sound was kind of getting quieter and louder, but I'm sure that's because I was just using a wire. I think it's flipping retarded that you need a mike plugged in to receive a signal.

The radio's SWR meter jumped just a little bit when I went to transmit. Not sure if that means my SWR is good or bad, but I'll need to purchase a meter to tune my mag mount.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Cobra mike, so I'll have to buy one. Any particular one I should look for?