• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29XLR No Signals In or Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

This is the second post about this darn setup I purchased at an estate sale.

I've been trying to get the locks that are covering the mounting bolts off with no luck, so I might need to take the whole thing to a locksmith so I can remove the radio from the external speaker.

I finally had a chance to test the thing today, and I think I might need a new radio. I had it plugged into power and a magnet mount, but I was getting absolutely no signal in. No sound, and the meter was not jumping at all. When I went to key the mike, absolutely nothing but a little static sound from the mike itself, for some reason.

I won't go into detail, because I made a quick YouTube video to show what I am talking about. Like I said, I'm guessing I have a bad radio, but I could also be doing something wrong.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRS5AUTSGyU

Thanks!

ipfd320

Banned
on the Radio mike jack-----Try Jumping Out Pins 1 & 3 (Txmitt Pins)--If that works then its the Mic Problem---For Rxcieve jump out pins If i Remember Correctly 2 & 4 or 1 & 4

Another way to Check to see if the Finals are Blown--Hook a Speaker up to the Pa Jack and See if you Have Audio if so Tx Finals are good

Good luck --the xlr is a good radio--That was my 1st radio i used back in the day

kenwoodgeek

Thank you for that.

I didn't jump out the pins, because I remembered I had a pretty much brand new 4 pin mike in one of my boxes that was working fine last time it was being used.

I plugged that in and tried again but to no avail. This time, each time I keyed the mike, there was a very, very faint pop coming out of the external speaker. Still no movement from the SWR meter at all. I plugged the external speaker into the PA jack and switched the radio to PA mode. Keyed the mike and absolutely nothing.

prcguy

The TX finals (RF output transistor and driver) have nothing to do with audio coming out of the PA speaker jack into a speaker. You can remove the finals and the PA audio system will still work fine. The front panel meter is a basic indication that RF is coming out but an external wattmeter will tell a better story.

The radio could be toast or the OP may have a mic with a different pinout. If its a new mic the pinout on a 1970s or 80s vintage radio may be different, even for the same model. I would try shorting the pins as suggested by someone else to see if RX or TX comes alive.

on the Radio mike jack-----Try Jumping Out Pins 1 & 3 (Txmitt Pins)--If that works then its the Mic Problem---For Rxcieve jump out pins If i Remember Correctly 2 & 4 or 1 & 4

Another way to Check to see if the Finals are Blown--Hook a Speaker up to the Pa Jack and See if you Have Audio if so Tx Finals are good

Good luck --the xlr is a good radio--That was my 1st radio i used back in the day

Last edited:

kenwoodgeek

Thank you, everyone! Shorting the pins with a wire gave me transmit and receive. I tested with my scanner, and it received the signal. The sound was kind of getting quieter and louder, but I'm sure that's because I was just using a wire. I think it's flipping retarded that you need a mike plugged in to receive a signal.

The radio's SWR meter jumped just a little bit when I went to transmit. Not sure if that means my SWR is good or bad, but I'll need to purchase a meter to tune my mag mount.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Cobra mike, so I'll have to buy one. Any particular one I should look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.