• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy user's question on ssb and a slight deviation on frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a brand new peaked and tuned from a shop ( will not name cause I don't believe this is on them) it's a DX959B. Everything is good for what I truly need it for. Was playing around on it the other night and noticed when I switched to either the USB or LSB that the frequency display doesn't move. For the life of me I can not find anything in the users manual to indicate that it doesn't or does. Is this normal? Also one thing I have noticed but doesn't seem to affect tx is occasionally upon keying the Mic up the frequency goes up ( ie channel 19, 27.185 normally but upon keying it goes to 27.186) doesn't seem to affect anyone hearing me loud and clear. Just for reference the meter on the unit doesn't go past approx 5 watts of power on cb bands and about 1 watt on ssb when the switch is in either direction. SWR is no more than 2 on any channel. Plugged directly into CB power hook up in the upper partition of the frieghtliner cascades.

kc4jgc

....Was playing around on it the other night and noticed when I switched to either the USB or LSB that the frequency display doesn't move. For the life of me I can not find anything in the users manual to indicate that it doesn't or does. Is this normal? Also one thing I have noticed but doesn't seem to affect tx is occasionally upon keying the Mic up the frequency goes up ( ie channel 19, 27.185 normally but upon keying it goes to 27.186) doesn't seem to affect anyone hearing me loud and clear. Just for reference the meter on the unit doesn't go past approx 5 watts of power on cb bands and about 1 watt on ssb when the switch is in either direction. ....

I'm guessing you're not aware of what single sideband (SSB) is. An AM signal has 3 parts: a carrier (half the power output, which has no audio at all) and two sidebands, one on each side of the carrier that carries the audio. Since the sidebands duplicate each other, comms can be established by eliminating the carrier and one of the sidebands in the transmitter circuitry. This is what SSB accomplishes. In effect, SSB occupies only half the bandwidth and is more efficient than an AM signal. That "bleedover" you may have heard on AM that you couldn't tune in is in fact a SSB signal. In your frequency readout example above, the carrier of channel 19 is 27.185; the audio, which duplicate each other, is 27.184 (LSB) and 27.186 (USB).

With that said, a CB with sideband capability is still using the same 40 channels on either AM, LSB or USB. This is why a sideband QSO cannot be on the same channel as an AM QSO at the same time. Also, there is (or was) a "gentleman's agreement" that designated channels 16-18 (some areas ch 15 as well) and channels 36-40 as sideband channels only.

Other than the SSB power output, what you've described tells me that the radio is behaving exactly as it should. SSB power output should max out at 12 watts peak envelope power (PEP).

HTH,

Last edited:
How about sharing those answers from elsewhere. Thanks.
Went to a cb shop in Knoxville tn at the petro. He said I have to use the modulation knob to tune it in. Which makes sense. Also the slight deviation on the am side of things is nothing to really worry about as everyone can hear me just fine.

Edited because my spell check is more of an idiot than I am. For example I dont talk about ducks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're not aware of what single sideband (SSB) is. An AM signal has 3 parts: a carrier (half the power output, which has no audio at all) and two sidebands, one on each side of the carrier that carries the audio. Since the sidebands duplicate each other, comms can be established by eliminating the carrier and one of the sidebands in the transmitter circuitry. This is what SSB accomplishes. In effect, SSB occupies only half the bandwidth and is more efficient than an AM signal. That "bleedover" you may have heard on AM that you couldn't tune in is in fact a SSB signal. In your frequency readout example above, the carrier of channel 19 is 27.185; the audio, which duplicate each other, is 27.184 (LSB) and 27.186 (USB).

With that said, a CB with sideband capability is still using the same 40 channels on either AM, LSB or USB. This is why a sideband QSO cannot be on the same channel as an AM QSO at the same time. Also, there is (or was) a "gentleman's agreement" that designated channels 16-18 (some areas ch 15 as well) and channels 36-40 as sideband channels only.

Other than the SSB power output, what you've described tells me that the radio is behaving exactly as it should. SSB power output should max out at 12 watts peak envelope power (PEP).

HTH,
You're guess would be correct. I have never operated a cb with SSB. Heard about it but have never before had the opportunity to be able to operate SSB. I'm still learning and the membership to this forum is worth its weight in gold so to speak. I have more luck on the chicken band talking to other drivers on 19 than I do on 146.520 simplex. Mostly because I'm never near enough to a repeater for my hts, and my mobile unit is waiting on the antenna and wire right now. Thank you very much. I would have never know about the channel usage if you hadn't replied.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kc4jgc

Not a problem!

Glad I was able to clear things up with you.

One other thing the CB sideband ops who are the old farts (like me if I still had a CB), NEVER use "handles" (first names only) and NEVER use the 10-codes, preferring the "Q" signals. In my day, before attempting to make a contact we always asked "QSK?" (Is the frequency clear?) before making the call. Other "Q" signals that were used were QSL (confirm) (never over use), QTH (location), QSY (change frequency). I remember one blind operator would occasionally ask for the QTR as he couldn't see a clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.