RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2018, 7:29 PM

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts on my cb/converter problem I did buy the Pyramid Bench Power Supply | AC-to-DC Power Converter | 10 Amp Power Supply (PS12KX) And the humming noise is gone Great help guys. I get channel 6 traffic very broken but I am guessing it's because my antenna is not near the window .
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2018, 7:31 PM

Default Antenna

Any ideas on who I can call to install a small outdoors antenna ''who does this type of thing''?
Old 06-28-2018, 8:27 AM

Umm, the peak to peak and RMS descriptions are backwards here. The 170 volts is derived from rectifying and filtering the 120V line is because 169.68V is the peak to peak value of 120 volt RMS or average voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
That's a pretty good explanation of the differences of linear and switching power supplies. I kind of suspect that some ones going to question about that 170 volts.
That is going to be the RMS (Root Mean Square) of the 120 volt line. The RMS of 120 volts is going to be:
120 x 1.414 = 170 (actually 169.68). The 1.414 is the RMS which for 120 volt line has a "peak" value of 170.
I added this for those who may want to experiment building a switching supply (or some other circuits as well). Why? Because a circuit may need some electrolytic capacitors and you have to apply that peak voltage for the amount of voltage going into the capacitors.
PRCGUY gave a great explanation and I hope that will help some of the members understand the differences.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadman65 View Post
Any ideas on who I can call to install a small outdoors antenna ''who does this type of thing''?
Depends.

Used to be CB shops could do this stuff for you, but finding a CB shop is like trying to find an honest politician.

A TV shop could probably do it for you, but you'd need to be very careful that they did it correctly. Some TV/stereo/alarm installers don't understand two way radio and will do "stupid installer tricks".

A two way radio shop could do it for you, and would know how to do it correctly, but you'd pay a lot more for it.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What area do you live in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored links