• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

29 LX Antenna Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck0410

I bought a 29LX today and after hooking it up the antenna warning light comes on and the meter on the radio is showing an SWR of 2.5(ish). On 40 with the CAL control turned all the way counter clockwise it will not budge from about half-scale. Makes me think bad radio. So I bust out my external SWR meter and jumper and hook it up. That shows an SWR of 1.5 pretty much across the board and the antenna warning stays off. I'm at a loss. Is this a prime candidate for the VR6 tweak?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Redneck0410

I bought a 29LX today and after hooking it up the antenna warning light comes on and the meter on the radio is showing an SWR of 2.5(ish). On 40 with the CAL control turned all the way counter clockwise it will not budge from about half-scale. Makes me think bad radio. So I bust out my external SWR meter and jumper and hook it up. That shows an SWR of 1.5 pretty much across the board and the antenna warning stays off. I'm at a loss. Is this a prime candidate for the VR6 tweak?

To clarify, I calibrated/adjusted my antenna with another radio prior to hooking up the cobra, so it would seem the antenna is fine, just something out of adjustment on the radio itself. I dont trust the internal swr meters on these 29 series radios any further than I can throw them. I have a 29 Chrome that wont show jack on the meter on transmit, so I'm thinking something is burnt up. I recieved fine and have verified it is transmitting, but I cant even get it to budge my external swr meter at all.

RFI-EMI-GUY

To clarify, I calibrated/adjusted my antenna with another radio prior to hooking up the cobra, so it would seem the antenna is fine, just something out of adjustment on the radio itself. I dont trust the internal swr meters on these 29 series radios any further than I can throw them. I have a 29 Chrome that wont show jack on the meter on transmit, so I'm thinking something is burnt up. I recieved fine and have verified it is transmitting, but I cant even get it to budge my external swr meter at all.

Ground the radio chassis to the vehicle chassis....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jim202

I am not saying this is the case on what is going on with your antenna, but I have seen this happen before on some antennas. The change in cable length between the radio and the antenna by adding the external SWR meter and jumper has caused a change in how the antenna behaves.

The only way to prove this is to have a jumper the same length as the jumper between the radio and the SWR meter, plus the added length of the SWR meter. Then remove the SWR meter and put in it's place the jumper to make up the length of cable your meter and the added length of the jumper you used. Don't forget to also compensate the length for the coupling adapter needed at the end of the original antenna cable.

Had a commercial transit antenna that did this to me on the VHF band. .

kf4eyr

have you checked the radio with a watt meter and dummy load,,, sounds to me like you have a radio that has been turned down so as to use a linear amp,,, those amp guys like their radios turned down to 1 or 2 watts to get that swing,,,,, when turned down the swr meter on the radio usually is worthless,,,

Redneck0410

have you checked the radio with a watt meter and dummy load,,, sounds to me like you have a radio that has been turned down so as to use a linear amp,,, those amp guys like their radios turned down to 1 or 2 watts to get that swing,,,,, when turned down the swr meter on the radio usually is worthless,,,
This was bone stock out of the box.

Redneck0410

I did go through it again this afternoon and I did get the meter to calibrate up on the radio and now it shows a good swr of 1 to 1.5 across the band. Verified with external SWR meter as well. The radio check function shows RF Output fail. Any ideas? I'm thinking deadkey is too low. Also I have a 29 chrome that's basically a dead duck. Meter seems to work fine on recieve and dead on transmit. I'm thinking burnt final. Took the cover off and I think I've got a hack job radio. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here. I did notice a coil separated at the back of the radio. Any recommendations on who to send it to in order to get it working or if it's even worth it.

Redneck0410

coil spread=truck stop hack snake oil to make it swang with lots of watts,,, its a shame radio was messed up,,,
So basically I've got a paperweight. Lovely. Last time I buy a radio from a pawnshop, I tell you what.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I did go through it again this afternoon and I did get the meter to calibrate up on the radio and now it shows a good swr of 1 to 1.5 across the band. Verified with external SWR meter as well. The radio check function shows RF Output fail. Any ideas? I'm thinking deadkey is too low. Also I have a 29 chrome that's basically a dead duck. Meter seems to work fine on recieve and dead on transmit. I'm thinking burnt final. Took the cover off and I think I've got a hack job radio. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here. I did notice a coil separated at the back of the radio. Any recommendations on who to send it to in order to get it working or if it's even worth it.

Send it to a tech who has an FCC GROL ( general radio operators license) not one who advertises "peak and tweak" for CB radios. Tell him you want it restored to factory and FCC specs.

You are more likely to find a good tech working at a mobile radio or marine radio shop than behind a truck stop.

CB radios do not need "peaking and tweaking". They are fine out of the box.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.