• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What wavelength are base-loaded Wilson and K40 antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
Does anyone know what wavelength Wilson 500, 1000, 5000 and K40 base-loaded and base-loaded magnet mount antenna's are (the models with the flexible whips top section)?
Thanks

prcguy

The K40 was a 1/4 wave base load and I suspect the other models you list are also 1/4 wave. It wouldn't make any sense to make them another fraction of a wavelength and matching would cost more for the mfr.

kc0bus

Thanks.
The makers never advertise what wavelength CB antennas are.

cmdrwill

Thanks.
The makers never advertise what wavelength CB antennas are.

Because all those CB antennas mentioned are physically WAY LESS than a fraction of a wavelength.

Now the design is probably a shortened quarter wave base loaded by a transformer. As prc guy mentioned.

And as the antennas whip gets shorter than a one quarter wave length, the antenna becomes way less efficient.

So the shorter antenna the poorer the reception and transmission becomes.

Last edited:

FiveFilter

I use the Wilson 500 trimmed to about 56 inches where I found it tuned best at on a Mazda3 sedan, and a Wilson 1000 as it came from the factory at about 62 inches which it tuned at on an F250.

Both of these antennas have magnetic bases and are designed to work in the 11 meter band with assistance from loading coils located in the base of the antennas. These coils give them an effective electrical length of a quarter-wave for that band.

Although they are a bit less efficient than a straight quarter-wave 108-inch antenna, the Wilsons can be placed at or near the middle of the roof of my vehicles, thus giving them a clean and unhindered exposure to the airwaves in any direction.

In contrast, the big 108s usually are much too tall and gawky to place in this ideal location, so are usually relegated to locations much closer to the lossy ground and conductive metal vehicle bodies, such as on a bumper, and also biased to one side. Such a less-desirable location hinders the otherwise stellar performance of the big 108s, often to the point of making them no more effective than their shorter, coil-assisted cousins sitting up proudly on the roof.

All I know is that my Wilsons seem to talk and listen with the best of them out on the highways where it counts.

asuddendeath

I have been really happy with my SR-A10 Magnetic Mount.
. I did a crap load of skip with it and it will do any easy 20 miles with 30 watt dead key swinging a bit over 100 watts. Oh and its not a wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.