• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for a contact cleaner recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

I have a few vintage tube type radios that need some work and I am trying to find a good contact cleaner to use on the tube sockets and controls in order to get the job done. I am hoping that someone can recommend a good all purpose cleaner if there is such a thing. Any advice on cleaning the tube sockets would be appreciated as well. I have been trying to find some type of small brush for this work if such a thing exists. Thanks for any suggestions and help on this.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
You could try CRC electra clener; but I don't think it would help, and may harm plastics.
So I would think some mild soap/water/amonia (very mild solution) and use a small brass brush (bb gun cleaning brush, or similar, might have something in a welding shop too).
I don't think you're going to get any "quick fixes" for this.

graywoulf

Hi jassing and thanks for the tip on the BB gun brush. As for the CRC cleaner, I have used it before on automotive parts but after reading some reviews about it, I found out that it is safe for plastics so I might just try it on my old radios. I found the "CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner" on eBay for less than eight dollars which is a bargain in my opinion.

graywoulf

jassing

Premium Subscriber
crc also makes a 'contact cleaner' which might be appropriate. No matter what, I think you're going to need mechanical contact to clean it.

graywoulf

crc also makes a 'contact cleaner' which might be appropriate. No matter what, I think you're going to need mechanical contact to clean it.

I agree that the mechanical contact will be necessary. That is why I like the kit that I mentioned as it has the proper size brushes. Its going to be a tedious job for sure considering the number of tube sockets in the radios that I have and want to refurbish. One of which is my dad's old Johnson Messenger 223 base unit and a few antique AM radios. I also have an old portable tube tester that I inherited from one of my uncles that needs a good cleaning as well.

graywoulf

D5 is a cleaner and lubricant, it leaves an oil residue that lubricates moving parts and protects the contacts from corrosion. This is what you want to use on switch contacts and potentiometer wipers. And recording studio patch bays, etc.

That sounds good as you say for controls and switches but will the oil benefit the tube sockets and tube pins?

graywoulf

Yes. The lube reduces friction on the pins when putting tubes in and lessens corrosion over time. The Deoxit spray also cleans the metal surfaces and reduces electrical resistance.
I thank you kindly for that information and recommendation. I would assume as well that the lubrication will protect the metal surfaces from oxidation for a much longer period of time than not having a protective coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.