• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can Linear blow cb radio final

Status
Not open for further replies.

larbian

Premium Subscriber
I have an old 23 channel ssb that was puting out on AM about 5 watts. I turned on my 50 watt linear and keyed the mic and they both grunted and now the cb transmits 1/2 watt and if I turn the linear on its 1.5 watts.

Can the linear cause this and how many amps should the linear need? I think my supply is 5amps.

Thanks to all

zz0468

QRT
Banned
My first guess would be that the radio is fine and the power supply is blown. Did you check voltages?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Your power supply is inadequate to power a 50 watt amplifier. It may be damaged.

In turn it might have damaged the radio and amp if you shorted a pass transistor in the supply. Measure the voltage, is it still about 13 or 14 VDC?

You need a 20 amp supply to fiddle with that.

Unless the amplifier connections were reversed, it normally cannot damage the CB.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Also you cannot measure SSB with a standard power meter. You need a PEP power meter.

larbian

Premium Subscriber
I tried it on am. It has a Redco digi scan attached and tuned in to channel 15. The CB and the linear were on separate power supply's and they both grunted when mic keyed. I will check voltages on the radio.

So do I need a separate meter because the radio is an ssb or if I was on one of the bands. I think the Redco bypasses the tuner and don't know if it bypasses the Am Lsb Usb switch.

Last edited:

larbian

Premium Subscriber
Also, I connected the swr meter without the linear. Radio, SWR, Antenna. 1/2 watt. then I connected the swr between the linear and the antenna. Radio to linear to swr to antenna. 1.5 watt output.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I tried it on am. It has a Redco digi scan attached and tuned in to channel 15. The CB and the linear were on separate power supply's and they both grunted when mic keyed. I will check voltages on the radio.

So do I need a separate meter because the radio is an ssb or if I was on one of the bands. I think the Redco bypasses the tuner and don't know if it bypasses the Am Lsb Usb switch.

I cant help you on that Redco, but I think it is made for 40 channel radios.

Are you using a proper antenna? Sounds like either you are getting RF into the power supplies or you dont have a powerful enough power supply. Check the basics.

larbian

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I am confusing my two radios. This one is a 40 channel.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Check your power supply voltages. No other advice can help you till you do this. If you dont have enough amps, you cannot get the watts. OHMS law..

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I think the answer to your question is yes. If your antenna system is not tuned, then the reflected power can damage a radio. The simple test is to remove the amp and see if you are transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.