RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR
Yeah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck,
You got a copy on me Pigpen? C'mon.)
(Ah yeah, ten-four Pigpen, for sure, for sure.
By golly it's clean clear to Flagtown. C'mon.)
(Yeah, that's a big ten-four there Pigpen. Yeah, we definitely got the
Front door good buddy. Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy)

KKF-4422
Just curious, is the "Flagtown" mentioned here referring to Flagstaff, Arizona? In the mid 70's I commuted from Flagstaff to Williams in Arizona, 32 miles on I-40. The truck traffic on that route was more than heavy. I commuted it in the winter and my knuckles took several years to change back to their normal color from white. I can still hear the comments of so many stuck drivers I pulled out of ditches following their multiple 360's, "why I didn't know it snowed in Arizona!" My Forest Service patrol area also included about 20 miles of this interstate and one rest area. This also sounds like it could be dialog, if you can call it that, from on of those bad Burt Reynolds/Sally Field movies of that era. Those movies all took place in the south or somewhere that fit its stereotype. Sally is so much more talented than those movies showed, but she is still reported to say her favorite movie is "Smokey and the Bandit."

I can't remember my CB license except for "1919" and I also gave my leisure suit to a thrift store. I only got the license because I transferred to California from New Mexico in 1981 and wanted a cheap way for my wife and I to communicate along the road when we moved. I was driving a 24 foot rental truck towing a Volkswagen and she was towing our utility trailer with the now 30 year old Toyota Land Cruiser I still own. It was soooo much fun crossing Hoover Dam and driving through Las Vegas. Not! That is the only time I've used a CB. I used a "through the glass" antenna on the Land Cruiser and it took lots of elbow grease and a razor blade scraper to get the adhesive off the window.

The good old days! Right, I was dumb as a stick and in the beginning of my career. I was anxious about trying to buy a house and the prospect of having children. I had a pretty shaky marriage and was too dense to realize it. I had earned all the respect of a second lieutenant! I would not want to repeat that time. I would even bet that leisure suit could sell for $25 on eBay right now!

I'll be backing out of heres right now good buddy!

Last edited by Kendrick10423; 01-18-2008 at 1:22 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi again,

"KMD in '65?"

Yup, somewhere between KKD and KBI was KMD, they didn't go sequentially but skipped around within any given district. First there was 2W followed by 2Q (NY & NJ) so it was easy to know which district the call was issued to. When they went to the three letter K prefix things got confusing unless you knew which sequence was assigned to which district.

For what it's worth most of the QSL cards visible in the movie Frequency were CB cards from the NYC area, many of which were friends of mine. And daddy was a HAM? (;->)

"Uncle Charlie must have done some recycling. Our call was KES-3940, issued the spring of '72."

Nope, no calls were ever recycled. Like I said they skipped around and you can't compare districts without a score card. Toward the end they were issued at random so the card went out the window, then the license followed it and chaos reigned supreme.

"Hey Warren, that's one ugly creature, but the Alligator Turtle I like."

Heh. (;->)

"6Q2490,One of the first issued."

Nope, like I said in your case it would have been 6W. 6Q was a special prefix issued to San Francisco like 2Q was to New York. When you figure it out wipe the coffee off your monitor.

FYI, when some irate customer demanded I give my call I replied KMA1004. I wonder who it was actually issued to, lucky bass turd. Get out the wipes again, this is going to get messy.

KMD7606 clear, (in parrot voice) AAAWK! Bye bye.

Last edited by kb2vxa; 06-20-2008 at 5:12 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM

A movie about some guy talking to his dead father on a ham radio? What will they think of next?? Warren was right about the QSL cards and there were a few real ham radio QSL cards in the movie. Heres one of them close up.
Attached Images

I will only respond to negative comments/feedback. Friendly people will be ignored totally.

Last edited by WA1CRZ; 01-19-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 10:36 AM

I sure wish I could have gotten this guys QSL card!

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/Indivi...en_Charlie.jpg

I will only respond to negative comments/feedback. Friendly people will be ignored totally.
Old 01-19-2008, 2:01 PM

Hey Warren- You give new meaning to the term "bathroom humor" with that pic!
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I finally found one, not mine but I'm sure you'll recognize the form.

Last edited by kb2vxa; 06-20-2008 at 5:12 AM..
Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 PM

KBMP0992 checking in!
Old 01-21-2008, 8:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

kb2vxa:

Thanks so much for posting the picture of the FCC license form. It's been 35 years since I've seen that form, but it certainly looks like the one I am after! Did you obtain that one from a friend or find it on-line somewhere?

P.S. No reply to the e-mail I sent to the FCC asking about archived CB licenses. Wishful thinking on my part that I would (1) Get a reply (2) They have them archived ;-)
Old 01-21-2008, 9:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My call was KNU8841 from 1975. I can't remember any of the jabber, so I'm not going to give any "flip the eggs, but don't break the yolks" salutation.

Side thought - anyone else think it's amazing just being here 30-something years later - and that we had communications and electronics way back then - and that we didn't NEED cellphones back then (and that some of us still have disco clothes packed away somewhere)? Geeeeez!
Old 01-21-2008, 9:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default kix 8509

a thousand years ago, that was my cb licence. i would not use it now even if cb had licences; cb basically unregulated nonsense except for sometimes on the road....amateur offered more. still, i liked having the licence.
Old 01-21-2008, 7:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Did you obtain that one from a friend or find it on-line somewhere?"

You'd be surprised what Google turns up.

"Wishful thinking on my part that I would (1) Get a reply (2) They have them archived ;-)"

VERY wishful, inactive licenses are purged from the records after two years.

"and that we didn't NEED cellphones back then"

We don't need them NOW! It's the herd instinct expressed electronically, people have this need for belonging which is why they bring half the house to the campground while I'm off in the wilderness getting AWAY from the madness.

"(and that some of us still have disco clothes packed away somewhere)? Geeeeez!"

Gag, choke! Maybe Johnny Revolting's white suit would get a few bucks on eBay but for my money Disco was stomped to death unmercifully at the bottom of a mosh pit. "Thanks" for reminding me, I'm headed for the chrome and porcelain 'cause I'm about to spew.
Old 11-13-2009, 9:18 PM

I knew that it was around somewhere. Found my old CB license. KBMH 4194 Along with the Government of Canada permit. Yes, we spent a month up north every year, so I got the "pale yellow" card. My license was dated 03-20-79 and was valid till 03-20-84.

Regards,

Bob
K9ZHJ
Old 11-20-2009, 6:13 PM

Default cb license

I lost my orginal copy of my license somewhere between WV and Ca.shame would like to have kept it.still remember my call sign .it was kabo4902 and was issued in 1975
Old 11-29-2009, 6:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I still remember mine KBKZ 3779 Lost mine many years ago [darn!]
Old 11-29-2009, 9:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

KBAA-5710 here. Somewhere in storage I have my old Radio Shack 3 channel (crystals) hand held CB radio with a sticker on the side that contains my license info. My next CB was a Sharp 23 channel bought at Alexanders.
Old 12-11-2009, 4:42 PM

Thumbs up

Cool thread!

I got my Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit in the early 70's so I could be a radio operator with the Civil Air Patrol, then beat my poor dad into submission to get a CB callsign, KHL2450.

He reluctantly put a TRC-10A (six channel) in his car so I could use it for CAP, which used channel 10 crystals backwards as an HF freq, as well as for channel 2, which was where our CB club was. As soon as I turned 18, I got my own call and put a Mocat rig in the mobile.

This is the Doggy Daddy, we're clear and on the side.
KBMP7224
Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I used to be KMW5227 when I had my Citizen's Band license many moons ago. Yes, it's long gone from the FCC database, as is my old Novice callsign KA5EBJ.

Even my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit, supposedly permanent, is no longer listed; I had to obtain one when I was a Student Pilot but now you only need one if you fly outside the United States. Still, I'd like to get a clean copy of mine. It was issued in 1981 and got badly soaked in Katrina's floodwaters, better than my Logbooks did...they became not much more than paste.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 PM

KSO9073 from about 1975. I want my $20 bucks back.
prcguy
Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPrine View Post
Even my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit, supposedly permanent, is no longer listed; I had to obtain one when I was a Student Pilot but now you only need one if you fly outside the United States. Still, I'd like to get a clean copy of mine. It was issued in 1981 and got badly soaked in Katrina's floodwaters, better than my Logbooks did...they became not much more than paste.
You probably have the old postcard type permit. As far as I know the FCC did not keep records of those. All they did was stamp the issue date and FCC seal on it and send it back to you. If you needed it replaced you just had to apply for another one.

I had a postcard type that was issued in 1987 and sometime between then and 1999 they started laser printing them on the same type form as the GROL and ham licenses. I had to replace mine in 1999 and they told me they don't issue replacements and that I just had to apply for another one.

Sometime around 2001 or so they started putting newly issued Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permits in the ULS database and now they are handled like other licenses. If you need a replacement you can request a duplicate online, the same as the other licenses. I don't know if they charge for that. I do know that if you change your mailing address or phone number on a GROL or ham license it is an "administrative update" with no charge.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I remember near the end...you used "K", and your initiials then your zip code as your call.
on a related note......it seems like the highway patrol used "K"+State Abbreviation+911.....For example, the Missouri Highway Patrol used "KMO911" as their call sign to answer HELP calls on chan 9.

After listening to them on the scanner for so long, I recognized a few of them on 19 every now and then telling the truckers that "chicken coops are closed".........or "I-35 is clean and green / hammer down".......a few minutes later, the same voice would be on low band with an 18-wheeler stopped.

I wish I had kept my old license......It seems like it wasn't a year after getting my license, the band went license-free......I think mine was KBVI1752.........4 alphas, 4 numerics

One would think anything on paper would be archived somewhere.......similar to old census data.