Chicago Fire P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9WUV

Whats the update on the CFD P25 UHF system? Some fire inspector told me its done they are just waiting for
the big bosses to say go ahead and start using it. Another driver for a ladder company told me they are waiting for more radios to be purchased.Then another source told me they are waiting for research and development dept to give it the OK......So I come here to find the truth.I used to here the P25 stuff at events for EMS detail use now they are using EMS command channel again whats the deal with this system I thought it was supposed to go on line last june..

KB9WUV
CARMA CHICAGO

xonxexoox

I have no Idea on the time frame for deployment, but was monitoring a few weeks back and the EMS command was very active but every transmission was ENC if they decide to go this route. Were screwed on monitoring this system.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
EMS will be the first to switch, followed by the Fire Companies. The OEMC will have represenatives at the Field Divisions (South & North Districrt Headquarters), and will be re-programming the radios. ALS Fire companies will also have their portable radios re-programmed and are going to be asked to utilize them while on EMS runs. The reasoning is looking for potential dead spots, and hope to have them corrected before fire switches. I heard a new time frame, very soon according to the calendar. Approximately a month from beginning to end, so right in the middle of football season should be the target. If you listen regularly, you will start hearing alot of ambulances reporting to Field Divisions, then you should hear the testing on the new frequencies. Digital non-encrypted communicatuons for day-to-day communications, however Encryption capabilities on Chief Officers radios for "sensitive" communications was the last I heard.

KB9WUV

So does anybody have a correct list of what each freq is assigned to? North dispatch / South dispatch /fireground/EMS command / OEMC ect...I have the freqs but not the alpha tags.

Tony
KB9WUV
CARMA CHICAGO

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So does anybody have a correct list of what each freq is assigned to? North dispatch / South dispatch /fireground/EMS command / OEMC ect...I have the freqs but not the alpha tags.

Tony
KB9WUV
CARMA CHICAGO

I just checked the database, and I can understand the confusion. Some time ago, I submitted the channel line-up, minus the low-powered frequencies that will be used. Someone submitted alot of confusing information and I would hope, before putting entries into the database, maybe ask in the forum so we have it 100% correct. So here is the line-up once again:

477.5125 (EMS-North)

478.4625 (EMS-South)

477.7875 (Fire-North)

478.2125 (Fire-South)

477.9875 (O.E.M.C.)...currently labeled, not sure if this will be switched upon reprogramming.

476.6875 (Fire City-Wide)

****The first 4 channels are obvious as to their usage. The last 2, have yet to be determined. Initially they wanted all fireground operations on the repeater, but they also have low-powered frequencies for that usage as well. They are still working on a the best solution, so be patient and wait for the switch. I'd be looking for the OEMC channel to be re-named (Possibly EMS Command?) Non-Trunking, convential digital. Their is Encryption capabilities on chief officers radios as I mentioned. Their has been mention of encrypting it all (tow truck drivers, board up companies) who chase fire around to make a profit. Hopefully this will not happen, if we all scan smart. If we can update the database without all the duplicate frequencies and alpha tags, maybe everyone will be able to understand the entries.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
tow truck drivers, especially

Long story.......

You'd be suprised who shows up at scenes and interferes. Their's a few scams out there that i've heard about, that you'd shake your head and understand why encryption is a constant threat to scanning. This would have to be a new thread, so won't dive into it here.

Chicago2210

I just checked the database, and I can understand the confusion. Some time ago, I submitted the channel line-up, minus the low-powered frequencies that will be used. Someone submitted alot of confusing information and I would hope, before putting entries into the database, maybe ask in the forum so we have it 100% correct. So here is the line-up once again:

477.5125 (EMS-North)

478.4625 (EMS-South)

477.7875 (Fire-North)

478.2125 (Fire-South)

477.9875 (O.E.M.C.)...currently labeled, not sure if this will be switched upon reprogramming.

****The first 4 channels are obvious as to their usage. The last 2, have yet to be determined. Initially they wanted all fireground operations on the repeater, but they also have low-powered frequencies for that usage as well. They are still working on a the best solution, so be patient and wait for the switch. I'd be looking for the OEMC channel to be re-named (Possibly EMS Command?) Non-Trunking, convential digital. Their is Encryption capabilities on chief officers radios as I mentioned. Their has been mention of encrypting it all (tow truck drivers, board up companies) who chase fire around to make a profit. Hopefully this will not happen, if we all scan smart. If we can update the database without all the duplicate frequencies and alpha tags, maybe everyone will be able to understand the entries.

So do you have an update on weather or not the whole system will be encrypted, or will that just be on the chief's raido like you mentioned? Please let me know thank you.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So do you have an update on weather or not the whole system will be encrypted, or will that just be on the chief's raido like you mentioned? Please let me know thank you.

So far, still the same. System is all ready to go, just awaiting the word to re-program EMS radios.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Testing Today

Field testing today on all 6 of the new frequencies. They're calling out.."switch to EMS-South, North etc.."

477.5125 (EMS-North)

478.4625 (EMS-South)

477.7875 (Fire-North)

478.2125 (Fire-South)

Astro25

How far out is anyone able to hear these freqs from downtown?

I'm in Lake County scanning on an XTL5000 with a yagi at 65ft and I've yet to hear a thing on any of the new frequencies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
EMS portable radios (XTS 5000's) are being re-programmed at the Field Divisions Mon-Fri. At least two more weeks until completion. ALS Engines also have EMS portables and will have to be re-programmed. Radios are set up with different Zones...been told it'll start on the "TZ (Temporary Zone) when the word is given. Each Zone has a little different channel set up, in the event of a failure.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Dave;

Are the existing VHF and UHF channels expected to remain in any use after the switch to the new UHF channels?

Thanks!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Not when the system is entirely switched. The ambulances will be the "guinea pigs"...looking for any dead spots they missed. All digital is the direction they're heading. The time frame of when this will occur will be dependent on how it works for EMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.