Star Comm on home patrol and 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
Good evening.
I have both a HP and a 436. They are set up basically the same. Mostly what I listen to is ISP Dist 15, Dupage county Fire Starcomm and some OEM. There are days that I hear nothing and days I hear most traffic. The have set to location to the 60171 (wheaton). Mostly I am in Dupage county. My professional job has me carrying a Starcomm radio when I am working.
Can someone please take the time to explain how things should be set up and the basic logic of how Starcomm as it relates HP and 436.
Thanks in advance.

ka9rxk

60171 is not Wheaton - It's River Grove which is in Cook County.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N9JIG

Sheriff
Like Don said, check the ZIP Code. Also remember that the ZIP Code entered is considered the center point on a map, setting the Range in the HP and 436 is like drawing a circle around that ZIP Code. Set the range at 10 miles for example and you have drawn a circle of about 10 miles around the center point in that ZIP Code. Set a higher range and the circle gets bigger.

Also remember that the Location and Range settings only tells the radio what to import from the database, it has nothing to do with whether you will actually be in range to hear the traffic. If you are in 60001 (Antioch) and program in a ZIP Code in Wheaton, you are likely not going to hear Wheaton traffic, you are just too far. The radio will have the Wheaton channels in in, but that won't do you any good.

Next I would make sure you have the Service Types properly selected.

Also check to make sure you aren't on a Favorites List, that your Favorites List is properly constructed to cover the traffic you are targeting or that you indeed have the Nationwide Database turned on.

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
ok the zip code I typed was bad my mistake a sever lack of coffee.

Rich thanks for moving the thread I knew that I could not be the first person with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.