Q: wanted to know if u could hear elgin illinois on a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You need a scanner that receives DIGITAL P25 and in reference to ELGIN you can only receive there FIRE Dept , the police are "Encrypted" and no scanner can receive that as it is illegal.....

Jay847

Q

I just bought a ws1088 scanner and I can't hear my city on it Elgin il is it just one channel encrypted or all police channels

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
I typically listen to quad com for police stuff (they cover east, west dundee, carpentersville, sleepyhollow, south barrington and barrington hills)

Kane county is another good one to listen, along with tri com.

State police are decent to listen too, ive heard probably most chases happen with them. district 15, 2, and chicago i get out in the elgin area.. with all the expressway shootings district chicago can be fun sometimes to listen too.

Jay847

Q

What happens when u put starcom 21 Kane channels in scanner could u hear anything since Elgin is encrypted police

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You need to create a P25 trunk system for Tower 126-Aurora and put in a "wildcard" and lock out the Encryption...You get the info on this web site in the database ILL-Starcom.....So Elgin seems to be moving to this tower dispatched by Tri-Com ....

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
And will Elgin come in
You can get the conventional South Elgin Sheriff I believe at:
155.68500 KXC471 RM 107.2 PL SElg Police Police: Simulcast of County Sheriff
The RR database says it's deprecated, but I still hear allot of traffic. Just fyi.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
A guy on the CARMA yahoo group just posted that So. Elgin has shut off 155.685 and now being dispatched by "Tri-com on Starcom...I'm hearing them on Tower 126-Aurora on TG11001....

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
A guy on the CARMA yahoo group just posted that So. Elgin has shut off 155.685 and now being dispatched by "Tri-com on Starcom...I'm hearing them on Tower 126-Aurora on TG11001....

Wait, are you saying Tri-com is now on Starcom? I didn't know that was happening.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
Ah, just noticed this note on SC21 Kane County...
* South Elgin PD / Tri-Com also appear to have use of (at least) talkgroups 11003 and 11004, how each is used is not clear (4/2/17)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
TRI-COM is still on UHF, they are dispatching on Starcom for So.Elgin ONLY.....TG11001......

greggk

Premium Subscriber
And will Elgin come in

This page is not showing you as a premium subscriber. If not, consider at least $15 for a 6 month subscription. This is the best way to download most all of what you need. (I may be wrong as I do not know anything about the Whistler's)

Is this your first scanner? It is really a steep learning curve today. Check out Radio Reference and the WIKI for help with all of this. You most likely will not get much from the user's manual, but then again...just a guess.

I just looked up your radio. It's a fine scanner, but it will take time to become proficient. My experience is that the "more hair you pull and the louder you scream" gets the best results.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.