CPD talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixarka

Total n00b here so I might be completely misunderstanding something but here goes:

I'm attempting to program the CPD talkgroups listed here:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=581

into my PRO-668 (screenshot below). The conventional frequencies (citywide and zone dispatch) work fine. My understanding is that talkgroups will allow me to hear what the actual people in the squad cars are saying to each other at the scene of the crime, after they have already been dispatched, assuming that my radio is within range (since unlike the city-wide/dispatch channels these are not necessarily repeated throughout the city). Is that right?

However, I have yet to hear a single peep on any of these talkgroups. Pretty sure the scanner is doing something since while scanning a bold "T" lights up which the manual says means "Trunking data." Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Am I completely misunderstanding how talkgroups are supposed to work? Is there a way to listen in on what local conversations are going on other than what is on the citywide/dispatch frequencies?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 524

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
That's the old analog trunked system that used to be active many years back, I do hear the "marine units on it but that's about it...CPD is UHF non trunked analog, the FD is digital non-trunked....

mws72

Premium Subscriber
There are talkgroups on starcom21 but that is more for inter-operation between the State Police and CPD than actual dispatch.

ixarka

That's the old analog trunked system that used to be active many years back, I do hear the "marine units on it but that's about it...CPD is UHF non trunked analog, the FD is digital non-trunked....

So, any idea where I can find the UHF non trunked analog frequencies? Is there some kind of system to how they are organized (ie, if it's not trunked, does each beat/zone get a frequency or something like that)?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
So, any idea where I can find the UHF non trunked analog frequencies? Is there some kind of system to how they are organized (ie, if it's not trunked, does each beat/zone get a frequency or something like that)?

Its called look in the database

N9JIG

Sheriff
And as I already mentioned in my original post city wide and zone-dispatch work fine, but those aren't the frequencies I'm looking for. Any idea if there is some other section they are listed under?

What freqs are you looking for? The 460.xxx Zone and Citywide is 95% of the CPD radio traffic, all dispatch, most of the tactical and car-car stuff is there.

ixarka

What freqs are you looking for? The 460.xxx Zone and Citywide is 95% of the CPD radio traffic, all dispatch, most of the tactical and car-car stuff is there.

I guess I'm sort of assuming that there's a frequency for random police chatter among colleagues within a unit like "what kind of doughnut do you want me to get you" or "hey, did you see what happened over at xyz..."

Or even more practical stuff like after a cop is dispatched somewhere, they radio in to say "hey, you gave me the wrong address" or "I'm at the location but there's nobody here."

The only kind of stuff I hear on the zone/city-wide is very formal/short (which makes sense since you can't tie up a zone-wide frequency with idle chit chat), which leads me to believe that I'm missing something. For example, I'll hear units dispatched for some reason to some address but then I never hear an acknowledgement or them getting there or what happened when they did get there.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Citywide 8 (460.525) is a low-power car to car channel in wide use all over the city, drive thru town and you will hear multiple conversations. Problem is it is low-power so if you hear it they may well be talking about you.

They make heavy use of the PDT's in the cars these days so there is a lot less chatter on the radio for that kind of stuff.

Patrol personnel carry the UHF radios, detectives and "Units" use to have trunked radios but usually rely more on cell phones these days.

NC5267

I don't know about CPD but a lot of agencies use the MDT not only for running plates, warrant checks, etc.. but also for call notes, on scene, and back in service etc...In my city sometimes a dispatcher or officer will say over the air they "copied" but you don't hear anything on the radio before that. They are acknowledging something on the laptop. Also, at least for my city I rarely hear a unit say "arrived on scene" unless it is a major call. Easier to just hit a button on the laptop. And I know they use the computer to send a lot of messages to each other during shift. More than likely the random chatter you described is being done over the computer or even a PTT option on a phone.

ixarka

Thanks. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I guess the onward march of technology makes just about everything less accessible to the random outside observer.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried this link:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=606#cid-1327

I have programmed the page you reference into my 436/536 several times but pick up nothing. I never got the Gangs or detective units, etc.

The page I referenced above is what I use, and traffic is almost non-stop. The page also talks about possible re-banding. I know little about the topic, but its worth looking into if you get nothing from the CPD page I mentioned above.

Also, I always suggest a subscription to RR. It makes like so much easier. Greg

Chicago PD

The Old Chicago 800 Mhz Motorola Smartnet Trunked system has very little use these days, except Marine units as mentioned. Don't use it for listening now, nothing on it. But 10 years ago they Did use it for Gang surveillance, just like in TV shows. And I heard tons and tons of juicy/filthy/hilarious stuff on it while at work in Chicago. The "Real Good Stuff". The Drug Tac teams swore continuously on these 800 Mhz radios and talked about "their ladies." They were doing (actual surveillance work) but also Rodney Dangerfield types of jokes in between on the radios and it was just hysterical to listen to. All non encrypted too. Those were the really fun days. Now that stuff is on Nextel or encrypted. I haven't found it myself.

CPD is still on 460 Mhz, just plain analog frequencies/channels, try doing a search from 460.000 up to 460.500 Mhz and you'll find it all there.

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I also have 154.65 as car-to-car mixed in with all my 460. frequencies. I don't know if it is ever used. Greg

N9JIG

Sheriff
I also have 154.65 as car-to-car mixed in with all my 460. frequencies. I don't know if it is ever used. Greg

I think all the VHF CPD Tac channels have been pretty much gone for years. They used to have a couple repeaters and a slew of mobile channels but those were replaced by the old 800 system, itself rarely used anymore.

154.650 was occasionally used by ISP District 15, DCI and occasionally MEG and other affiliated units in the pre-SC21 days. Today it is much less often used for these purposes and is mostly seen as a repeater input for various users around the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.