CFD MED channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Good Afternoon,
I have noticed that the CFD MED channels have gone silent in recent days. Is CFD now doing patient reports VIA cell phones, like is done in the burbs? Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Good Afternoon,
I have noticed that the CFD MED channels have gone silent in recent days. Is CFD now doing patient reports VIA cell phones, like is done in the burbs? Thanks

They issued cell phones a few years ago to all ambulances. It's personal preference actually and sometimes easier. If we worked a cardiac arrest in the house and wanted to "terminate in the field" most will use cell phones instead of the portable radios. All consoles at telemetry bases have telephone numbers to call, and it's recorded like a radio call.

Chicago2210

They issued cell phones a few years ago to all ambulances. It's personal preference actually and sometimes easier. If we worked a cardiac arrest in the house and wanted to "terminate in the field" most will use cell phones instead of the portable radios. All consoles at telemetry bases have telephone numbers to call, and it's recorded like a radio call.
Yes, I did hear them used yesterday and last night, I might just be noticing that they are not being used as much as they used to. Now at the telemetry hospitals who usually talks the ambulances? A Nurse, Doctor, or just someone who happens to be nearby when the call comes in? Thanks

N9IIT

Yes, I did hear them used yesterday and last night, I might just be noticing that they are not being used as much as they used to. Now at the telemetry hospitals who usually talks the ambulances? A Nurse, Doctor, or just someone who happens to be nearby when the call comes in? Thanks

Usually a nurse will take the call and give direction per standing medical orders. Anything that requires controlled substance administration such as morphine an ER doctor can approve and chart.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The Nurse on the Radio/Phone has to be approved by the system to be a Telemetry nurse. Not every ER nurse is familiar with EMS protocols. The Burbs have not used UHF for decades as Cell phones are much more reliable also BLS runs are mostly called in via phone also. MERCI calls have dropped significantly in the last decade also. I however would on occasion use it just to see if they were listening. Many times while on the scene from my Portable radio. A level 1 was in my still district so it was no problem to get them on the portable

Chicago2210

The Nurse on the Radio/Phone has to be approved by the system to be a Telemetry nurse. Not every ER nurse is familiar with EMS protocols. The Burbs have not used UHF for decades as Cell phones are much more reliable also BLS runs are mostly called in via phone also. MERCI calls have dropped significantly in the last decade also. I however would on occasion use it just to see if they were listening. Many times while on the scene from my Portable radio. A level 1 was in my still district so it was no problem to get them on the portable
I wonder if anyone uses the MERCI channels anymore as I have yet to here them used? I still here Chicago using the UHF Med channels, but there usage has dropped over the past few years. Do any hospitals still have the MERCI radios in them? Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Usually a nurse will take the call and give direction per standing medical orders. Anything that requires controlled substance administration such as morphine an ER doctor can approve and chart.

RN's have to take an ECRN (Emergency Communications Registered Nurse) Course in order to be able to answer the radio. They learn system Standing Medical Orders and are required to do some ride along time with one of the ambulances.

Chicago2210

RN's have to take an ECRN (Emergency Communications Registered Nurse) Course in order to be able to answer the radio. They learn system Standing Medical Orders and are required to do some ride along time with one of the ambulances.
Interesting, is a doctor ever near the telemetry base? Have you ever had a Nurse do a ride along on any of the Ambulances you were assigned to? Finally do ER doc's ever do Ambulance ride along's? Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, is a doctor ever near the telemetry base? Have you ever had a Nurse do a ride along on any of the Ambulances you were assigned to? Finally do ER doc's ever do Ambulance ride along's? Thanks

Yes they're always an attending physician in the ER. Yes I have, and yes they do.

Chicago2210

Yes they're always an attending physician in the ER. Yes I have, and yes they do.
Ok, how often do situations arise when a telemetry nurse would have to consult with a doctor, what are the most common situations? And when nurses and doctors do ride along's, what's it like? Do they ever assist or for the most part do they just sit and watch? Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok, how often do situations arise when a telemetry nurse would have to consult with a doctor, what are the most common situations? And when nurses and doctors do ride along's, what's it like? Do they ever assist or for the most part do they just sit and watch? Thanks

Deviation from treatment protocols, needing a doctors name when pronouncing DOA's for the police when they call the Medical Examiners is a couple I can think of.

On ride-alongs, some participate more than others. It's individual dependent. We've had dispatcher's do ride-alongs too, and they have alot of fun. One of them will never forget when he was a young and fresh dispatcher and did his ride along with me and my partner, the ladies thought he was cute. I told them he was a doctor doing a ride along, and that was it. 25 years later, he still remembers that day...lol!

Chicago2210

Deviation from treatment protocols, needing a doctors name when pronouncing DOA's for the police when they call the Medical Examiners is a couple I can think of.

On ride-alongs, some participate more than others. It's individual dependent. We've had dispatcher's do ride-alongs too, and they have alot of fun. One of them will never forget when he was a young and fresh dispatcher and did his ride along with me and my partner, the ladies thought he was cute. I told them he was a doctor doing a ride along, and that was it. 25 years later, he still remembers that day...lol!
The dispatcher wouldn't have been this guy? https://ksc711.smugmug.com

Chicago2210

Does the Fire alarm office have the MED channels in the consoles or are they only in the EMS portables?

Chicago2210

He never rode with me.

Not that I'm aware of, really isn't a need for them to have to.
Ok, now when you have had doctors do ride along's have you ever had one start barking out orders as if you were in the hospital as opposed to on the street? If so how did you handle it? Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now when you have had doctors do ride along's have you ever had one start barking out orders as if you were in the hospital as opposed to on the street? If so how did you handle it? Thanks

Not at all...I didn't have issues with any riders.

Chicago2210

Not at all...I didn't have issues with any riders.
Cool, now in a MCI incident who usually determines which hospitals to take the patients to? And do EMS field officers ops I mean Paramedic Field Chiefs have the MED channels in there radios?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Cool, now in a MCI incident who usually determines which hospitals to take the patients to? And do EMS field officers ops I mean Paramedic Field Chiefs have the MED channels in there radios?

Normally the highest ranking EMS Chief on the scene in conjunction with the Resource Hospital that they are in contact with. This is normally done via cell phone, and Field Chiefs have the Med Channels in their radios.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.