CPD OCD trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Good evening,
well it appears that the CPD trunk system is off the air, in recent years there was not much use of it expect the Marine unit. Thoughts?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I remember the old system using "EDACS" which evolved into now the CPD trunk system and i will miss hearing the marine units...I have put 460.0375 in my scanner but being aways away hope to hear them on here as stated on another scanner board CARMA....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Good evening,
well it appears that the CPD trunk system is off the air, in recent years there was not much use of it expect the Marine unit. Thoughts?

During the "old days", you would have to dedicate 1 scanner to monitor this system due to the amount of activity on there. Narcotics & Gang Teams would be assigned a channel, and if you followed along and took notes, you'd be able to understand important details. Other teams did "buy-busts" where they'd set up surveillance's and do the deed.

We frequently debated on this forum how much information should be disseminated to the public via the forums in regards to this system. To this day, I believe undercover/covert operations were put in jeopardy as a result of some carelessness in postings on here. Encryption was always available, but many of the Stix radios would lose the code when the batteries died so most operations were in the clear.

Some years ago, Nextels were handed out to the teams and that was the beginning of the end. Now we have users streaming, smart phones with scanner apps and my fear is the hobby is heading away from public monitoring. My suspicion is some are monitoring encrypted conversations, why post talk groups for an unmonitorable system? That's a risk that some will continue.

It was a good system, alot of good monitoring and hate to see it go. It will be replaced by the P2/800 Mhz Digital system over time and if we're smart, maybe we can use a little common sense. I don't expect covert operations to be in the clear ever again, but there might be an opportunity this would happen.

Don't stream...don't give them the ammunition to prove the case.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Heard the Marine unit on 460.0375 today,aren't they dispatched on CW1?
Yes, but they mainly get dispatched via CW1 during the summer. All year round however, they use 460.0375 (or their TG before the deactivation of the citywide Motorola trunked system) as their main ops channel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JT-112

My suspicion is some are monitoring encrypted conversations

Extremely unlikely - there are some nearly-insurmountable obstacles to get over, even if you have the key.

If you don't have the key, it's almost certainly not happening.

Note: it is a federal offense to even talk about decryption methods, much less actually decrypt.

Status
Not open for further replies.