CPD investigating " ROGUE RADIO "

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSan

July 5th, 2018 Chicago Tribune article talking about this incident......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-police-investigating-rogue-radio-incident-20180705-story.html

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I heard live as it was going on. This knucklehead was transmitting Hitler's speech on Citywide 6, Zones 1, 3, 10, and I believe also 13. I also recorded some audio which will be uploaded shortly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
If it wasn't before encryption is is certainly coming now
What kind of piece of ***** would do that?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Well, it was Independence Day, so maybe this guy had nothing better to do than some activism using a $30 radio, from a brand that begins with a B and comes from (surprise) China.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Awesome. Way to ruin the last interesting analog system anywhere in Illinois. Can’t wait to have to by one of those $500 digital pieces of plastic :/

ryanbytes

Well, it was Independence Day, so maybe this guy had nothing better to do than some activism using a $30 radio, from a brand that begins with a B and comes from (surprise) China.

You mean Baofeng? The UV-5R? The radio the Bosses use too? The whole reason why no MDC preamble can be used? God forbid the babies have to carry a Motorola. Limp wrists I guess.

NC1

Appears to be a new tactic of ANTIFA.
They are always calling the police a bunch of fascist Nazi's, so to broadcast a Hitler speech is right in line with their lock-step groupthink.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There's a slight chance this transmission was done by someone working for a major radio company, for the purpose of showing the department why they need to go to a trunking system at the very least. "See how easily people can interfere? Buy these 5000 dollar radios from us and there'll be no more of that!"

Danny37

Our Volunteer ambulance Corp had this problem, people with CCR transmitting and interfering. I had radio repair use a non standard DPL on the input and regular PL on the output and it worked. I'm assuming these CCR can't use non standard PL/DPL via FPP. I know it's not fool proof but most whackers tend to have half a brain.

My radio shop has been pushing DMR so hard and everytime I turn it down, nothing works as good as analog period.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
My radio shop has been pushing DMR so hard and everytime I turn it down, nothing works as good as analog period.

Using analog is what enables the whackers to talk on your net. Digital makes it a lot harder or impossible for unauthorized parties to do that. They can still cause RF interference (which is less likely to be effective than on analog), but that's it.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Using analog is what enables the whackers to talk on your net. Digital makes it a lot harder or impossible for unauthorized parties to do that. They can still cause RF interference (which is less likely to be effective than on analog), but that's it.

Apparently you didn't read the part where the non-standard DPL on the input fixed the harmful interference problem. If you don't have to spend the money, or you don't have the money to spend, as is most likely the case with a VAC, why would you let a radio shop sell you something?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Because a "non-standard DPL" isn't likely to be a permanent fix for the problem, and "nothing works as good as analog period" is demonstrably untrue.

Danny37

Because a "non-standard DPL" isn't likely to be a permanent fix for the problem, and "nothing works as good as analog period" is demonstrably untrue.

Well it kept CCR radios off the system and I don't need to be told I need digital/P25/DMR etc by radio shop just trying to pitch a sale. I don't trust Digital for urban environments like NYC and never will, we have a tough time as it is with analog. Can't imagine what a mess it would be for digital. Yes digital offers more features then analog but are they really used? That depends, but it's usually push a button and talk and that's it for most officers, FF's and EMT's

Papa-Bill

July 5th, 2018 Chicago Tribune article talking about this incident......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-police-investigating-rogue-radio-incident-20180705-story.html

This link above by JPSCAN has the full 7 min audio clip.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

But when it's all you can afford.....

Not everyone who provides services, such as a volunteer ambulance service, can afford to switch to DMR simply because the radio shop is pushing it. Budgets may be non-existent and an established working system will perform better than anything that can be purchased piecemeal over what in some cases may be many years. A well maintained analog system that meets the user's needs should not be dismissed simply because newer technology might work better.

As far as the non-standard DPL not being a permanent fix goes, I have used this solution for many customers when I was in the business. One of which was a campus police department-that was in 1995 and they haven't had an issue with rogue operators since. Yes, it's not completely undefeatable, but the effort involved goes beyond what most people are willing to expend for the cheap thrill.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well we all know that this is going to be a "HOT" topic with city and county officials. First they will say

"How was this able to happen". Second they will "say how do we fix this issue so it does not happen again"

Third they will bring in the consultants from the radio comms department and Motorola and they will come up with the plan to budget in money in the near future and upgrade the older system and if its already a trunked system then goto digital that everybody is doing and then Encrypt the system.

Now lets really examine what was going to happen before this idiot blurted out his crap over the radio. The system was going to be upgraded anyways down the road in the near future and encryption was most likely going to be part of the upgrade package. So everybody really needs to understand that the majority of systems nationwide on the LE side of radio comms systems are going to be locked down as the world continues to tick away. And if the system is not encrypted then these newer TRS system at the flip of a dime will have the ability. So to say its digital in the clear can change over a period of a day.

Example. Just look at the forums on what happened in Las Vegas for LE. There were on a newer Phase II TDMA system with LE in the clear and over of period of two months everything went BYE BYE. All it takes is one crazy incident and they will find the gaps that have been opened and then close them. End of Story

Status
Not open for further replies.