ARRL Field Day 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

Next weekend is Field Day.

The Raytown ACR will be operating as 2A Missouri, with the calls K0GQ (Phone/CW), and out GOTTA call will be KC0MO. We also will be having a VHF/UHF, Satellite. Hope to hear you on the air.

KC0KM

I guess I will give a Field Day report.

All in all we had fairly good Field Day, although it was not without problems. We had two or three people who where supposed to show up, and provide shelter (trailers) and equipment. We where setting up our 6M station at 1:00 PM Saturday, because as of that morning we did not have a 6M station. Also, the computer at CW conked out, so someone had to go and get another one. So we had a late start, getting on the air about 1:45 CDT (16:45 Zulu). We had a slow start on our Phone (HF), and where fighting QRM most of the night. I got my 20 GOTA contacts, although I was told to "pep" up my voice (I tend to have a fairly flat, monotone, southern British type accent). Later, at about 3:00-4:00 AM (local) I wondered over to the HF Phone, and sat in as second chair, and even operated for a while. I started using my racing headphones which block something like 35 db, so it really helped block out the back ground noise, and helped pull out those faint QSO's.

Not sure how many contacts we had but I estimate we had something like at least 3500. I pulled the entire 25 hours there, with a small exception when I went home to grab a pair of headphones and a Y leg connecter. -- I am still tired.

k9rzz

More! More!

How were the bands? 15M? 10M? 6M? any SSB on 2?

I tuned around a bit in the mobile, but had no time to operate.

KC0KM

Not too sure. I know 6M opened up, it did fairly well, and all we had was a quad loop on a 25 foot tower. We mostly where on 20, 40, and 80 Meter, although 20 did open up, we where fighting QRM from our station. At 330 local time, we made QSO's from as far as Alaska, Hawaii, and a lot of CA, but also from our own town -- one that was only a few miles away. I think I heard they made a few contacts on 2M without the repeater.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I operated 1D from Ohio.

Hard to gauge band conditions. Why? Because a band could be fairly open but nobody would know it unless more people called CQ to raise attention to the heightened propogation.

There was 6m activity, but I think overall the propogation on 6m wasn't as good as it was during the ARRL VHF contest a few weeks back.

10m was open, but not as open as I had seen it on some previous days. However, wiht all of the stations on, there was no shortage of activity on 10m.

15m was rocking for me here in Ohio. There were more stations to contact than I had time. 20m was very nice too.

I think overall the bands were quite good for us folks in Ohio.

I operate predominantly CW, but I decided I wanted to make some SSB contacts and so I did. However, something odd was going on because everyone and their mother kept mistaking AA8IA for AA2IA, and they often still couldn't copy an 8 even after 5+ repeats. So I suspect I have some horrid SSB audio that makes me unintelligible. I'm glad I had CW as a main mode.

Code:
 ARRL Field Day

Call: AA8IA
Operator(s): AA8IA
Station: AA8IA

Class: 1D LP
QTH: Toronto Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Summary:
Band   CW Qs Ph Qs
—————————-------------
80:     22     2
40:     64
20:     97     8
15:     73    45
10:     26    18
—————————-------------
Total: 282    73 Total Score = 1,274

355 contacts using an FT-100D, an Alpha Delta DX-EE 40 (shortened) through 10 parallel dipole up at about 15 feet. I operated the better part of 18 hours.

20m would have been more productive for me if I would have worked more SSB, but by that time I got sick of everyone thing I was AA2IA that I gave up on SSB.

Dummy me -- I never gave it a thought to run RTTY or PSK. If I would have, I'm sure I could have picked up another 100+ contacts. There was a tremendous amount of digital activity based upon results I've seen posted.

All in all I think the conditions were great, and I had a blast. Definitely proof to me that the cycle is on the upswing and we are going to have more fun for the next few years.

Mike

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I am in central Alberta (VE6 land) .. where I estimate we had less than 200 contacts as the conditions were terrible. I was working 40M (very very noisy) and had probably 25 contacts and 20M conditions were even worse(seems stations couldn't hear us well on our G5RV equipped station). It just seemed that no one could hear us. So . . maybe next year will be better for Field Day as this year even though it was fun, it was very disappointing as we had lots of difficulties working many stations.

Tommahawk

Our Field Day (W3AD) at our local Amateur Radio Club.... We had some individuals pounding away at the microphones, especially 6mt and 10 mt, but most of our contacts were in person. Sitting around the fire talking about everything technology except for Amateur Radio.... We even had three individuals take a impromptu 5 mile hike to find a geocaching site at midnight in total darkness in the woods..... Yeah our club is unique....

We like it that way. Get together and have a QSO face to face with individuals we only see once a year. Its interesting our club.... We have about 8 -10 individuals that get together without fail just about every Friday night throughout the year, go to dinner at a local italian pizza place, and then headup to our Cabin and Club Repeater site. We've been doing it that way since 1995

Lancaster Radio Transmitting Society W3AD Lancaster, Pennsylvania

elk2370bruce

Worked as part of the K2GE club team for Field Day. Had six meters open to south and west for great contacts. CW on 40 and 20, ssb on 20, 40, 15 and ten. Had the opportunity to see a real expert on satellite communications and saw some qso's there too. Band conditions were not all that great but we managed about 600 contacts. Lots of fun, plenty of food, learned a lot and we all had a lot of laughs.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I was at the 2F VA (state EOC) N4VEM station and while we had one operator who was really pulling them in on several bands, most of us took it easy just hanging out! Will know how we did later.

Status
Not open for further replies.