CQ VHF Worldwide Contest -- this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The CQ VHF WW contest is this weekend. It starts at 1800z (2 PM Eastern) on Saturday and ends at 2100z (5 PM Eastern) on Friday. Bands are 6m and 2m. I'm expecting/hoping for some nice activity on 6m.

WA7BNM Contest Calendar: 8-Day Calendar
CQ WW VHF Contest - Rules

If you have a 6m or 2m, you should look around for some contacts on those bands this weekend.

Sporadic-E propogation on 6m has been pretty good the past week. Tropospheric ducting has been noted (at least in East Ohio) on both 6m and 2m.

Most 6m and 2m activity will likely be on SSB / CW, so its best if you have an all-mode radio. All the people serious about operating this event are likely using SSB and CW with horizontal antennas. So for those of you only operating FM, the available contacts may be much less. Regardless, if you've got 6m/2m capability, jump on.

Hope to hear some of you guys on! I'll only be doing 6m. Although I have a radio capable of 6m/2m all-mode capability, my 2m antenna is only a vertical up about 20 feet. If I check out 2m, it'll probably only be a rare check late night Saturday and early morning Sunday for a couple strong SSB sigs out of the FN grids. And, I might check the 2m FM simplex freqs on occasion. But, I'll be primarily using my Moxon antenna on 6m most of the daylight/evening hours.

Mike

zguy1243

might have been bitten by the bug....

Was a blast listening to the contest this weekend. I had no antennas for 6 meters so I built a simple dipole and used my Icom R7000 to copy loads of DX on 6 meters. Sporadic E is very interesting, things go from silent to having floods of 6 calls or south American stations in a instant. Those of you into weak signal VHF/UHF stuff maybe can tell me what to shop for when it comes to a nice VHF/UHF SSB radio. I was thinking Icom 910H? By the way, here is my home brew 6 meter antenna that did a great job on RX at least....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.