Coast Guard Auxiliary Anniversary Special Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

elk2370bruce

On October 19, 2013, the Coast Guard Auxiliary will be celebrating its 74th anniversary from 0900 to 1600 Eastern time, Stations around the nation will be operating on a number of bands and modes. 1x1 calls will be used. Special QSL cards will be issued to all contacts, The Sayreville NJ flotilla will be operating on 20 and 40 meters primarily. Join us. We'd love to hear from you while you're working the NY QSO party,

NOTE: The date was edited by the moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

elk2370bruce

Do you have frequencies on 20 and 40 that Sayreville will be operating on?

Knowing that there is a large NY QSO party and scheduled nets, it is kind of up in the air at the moment. I will be operating on 20 meters and usually hang out on 14.265 USB. Our 40 meter operations may be around 7190 to 7220. If you are in the area, we are awaiting approval of repeater K2GE that is a linked 144/440 system. I may also try QRP 900 MHz but that will likely be limited in scope. Hope that helps. Other flotillas are usually spread out across the bands and frequencies, Our last effort was 22 states and 11 foreign countries for 82 contacts over a five hour period. Skip distances on 20 and 40 are always kind of iffy in short hop propagation. We will also be offering the special QSL to SWL who sent in an accurate report. Our tempory callsign will be W2N. QSL and SWL reports to N2DV (use QRZ for address)

Last edited:

prcguy

Howdy from District 11 South, Flotilla 5-13!
prcguy

On August 19, 2013, the Coast Guard Auxiliary will be celebrating its 74th anniversary from 0900 to 1600 Eastern time, Stations around the nation will be operating on a number of bands and modes. 1x1 calls will be used. Special QSL cards will be issued to all contacts, The Sayreville NJ flotilla will be operating on 20 and 40 meters primarily. Join us. We'd love to hear from you while you're working the NY QSO party,

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Bruce, I took the liberty of editing your first post in this thread to correct the date just in case someone views this thread and doesn't scroll down to your most recent post.

Also, a Google search of the subject turns up this document from the Coast Guard Auxiliary web site that gives instructions to CGAux stations wishing to participate in the special event.

http://rdept.cgaux.org/documents/Comms/Special Event Radio Station 19 Oct 2013.pdf

elk2370bruce

Based on the federal government shutdown, Coast Guard Auxiliary's annual amateur radio special event program for October 19, 2013 (along with all other Auxiliary missions) have been cancelled. We deeply regret not having the opportunity to share this event with our colleagues around the nation and othr nations.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Isn't the USCG Auxilliary a volunteer program? Or are you paid for your hours? Just curious as to why they would cancel it, if you're volunteers?

elk2370bruce

No. We are volunteers and, therefore, unpaid. We are, however, carried on liability insurance by USCG for travel and our mission activities.We are treated as members of Team Coast Guard and follow the usual protocols and operational constraints. Hope that answers your question.
Bruce

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Ok, thanks.
My dad is retired USCG, 1964-1968. He was stationed on the USCGC Halfmoon (WHEC-378); at Sandy Hook, NJ; and on the Roamer Shoal Lighthouse, the second lighthouse going into New York Harbor.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame the event is cancelled, Bruce.

I didn't serve, but I did spend several weeks as a "Sea Scout", along with three other high-school classmates on the USCG cutter Tamaroa WMEC-166!

This was in 1974.

elk2370bruce

This would have been my fourth year and I, too, was looking forward to it. Its a great PR event and it gives the opportunity for other members to get used to being on the air and getting that apple out of their throat. We even have large scale charts up and mark contact locations and a computer-based logging system. We have a ball doing it and my staffing this year would have been around a dozen members.

Status
Not open for further replies.