Skywarn Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

The weekend of 12/5-6 (Friday-Saturday) will be Skywarn Recognition Day. For the first time I (and my father) will be participating.

Here is a listing of participating offices -- SKYWARN Recognition Day

I got into Amateur Radio, because I have been trained as a spotter. In the past I have wanted to do this, but usually have ended up having to work that weekend.

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
I took part last year. I signed up to take part from 10am to 1pm and was there the whole day. After working HF and making my first long distance contact I got a 10m rig. I had a blast trying to make contacts to other services. I now have a Kenwood TS-440 and I am studying for my General class ticket. I have signed up for this year and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I can go. Things have changed where I work and there may be a conflict with work and taking care of my mom.

N5TWB

I checked the link and see the Tulsa WFO is not participating. I thought they would as they recently added an HF radio to the equipment. Guess I'll contact our local volunteer coordinator to see what's up.

KC0KM

I (we) did our part on 12/6. Went down to the Pleasant Hill NWS office, from 1400-1600, under the call KC0SKY (don't they have a great call on that one?). Did 32 QSO's from all over. I called, my dad logged, and we had another operator there as well to help us out. I even had a few pile ups, but I had them go slow, had them repeat things a lot. But, it was fun, all told we only "really" operated for about an hour, the other hour was "rag chewing" with some of the WX people, and getting caught up on paper work, and other stuff. I took both my headphones, and all the stuff that went with them. It work out well, just might do it again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.