ARRL and clubs for CBers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdelraso62

Premium Subscriber
Quick question- does any body know if ARRL have any clubs for CBers?

I know about amateur radios and ham radios but I don't see hardly anything on citizen band radios.

That would be great to know.

- bdelraso@aol.com

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
ARRL membership is open to anyone, but it's focus is on amateur radio as defined in the FCC Part 97 rules.

bdelraso62

Premium Subscriber
I think the ARRL need to address towards CB users too

I understand about FCC Rule 97 that's good and all but truthfully in all fairness - I would think ARRL would have a club for Citizen Band Radios too . There's people still out there that have CBs and loving it. Not everyone is a ham or amateur radio user. It would be nice if the ARRL would also add more events and clubs for Citizen Band Radio users.

Aero125

I would think ARRL would have a club for Citizen Band Radios too.

That would be like saying the NRA should be a resource for and support squirt gun owners. Two different things entirely. The "A" in ARRL stands for Amateur - as in Amateur Radio. ARRL is busy in Washington lobbying for ham radio which is regulated and also provides training and licensing for operators - both of which is NOT needed for CB.

cmdrwill

CB would fall under the REACT clubs.

And some remember that 11 meters WAS a portion of the Amateur Radio bands back in the '50's.

Golay

Eleven Meters

Perhaps one should write a review of a CB radio or antenna, send it to Newington, and see if it makes QST.

N0IU

And some remember that 11 meters WAS a portion of the Amateur Radio bands back in the '50's.

And that is also when you had to walk uphill both ways barefoot through a blinding snowstorm in the middle of July to an FCC Field Office to take your tests. Thankfully we don't have to do that any more either!

Perhaps one should write a review of a CB radio or antenna, send it to Newington, and see if it makes QST.

Have you ever seen a copy of QST?

Here is a snip of the cover:

arrl_zpsj5nt4npi.jpg

Those words have appeared on the cover of the magazine for over 100 years! What makes you think they will accept an article about CB radios or antennas??

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I guess CB radio has dipped so low that there are no longer any real agencies or magazines devoted to CB? If that were required, I'm sure it would be done. But I don't think ARRL should be involved with CB, especially the way it has degenerated over the last 40 years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand about FCC Rule 97 that's good and all but truthfully in all fairness - I would think ARRL would have a club for Citizen Band Radios too . There's people still out there that have CBs and loving it. Not everyone is a ham or amateur radio user. It would be nice if the ARRL would also add more events and clubs for Citizen Band Radio users.

There used to be magazines that covered many facets of radio, not just the amateurs.

Those days are pretty much gone, though. ARRL has stuck around since amateurs have remained a big enough and cohesive group of users.

ARRL wouldn't be the place for CB related articles, just like they don't do GMRS, MURS or FRS.

Likely your best resource is right here.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
+1 on Mckennas comment. Probably one of the best, recently demised comms magazines ever was Popular Communications, of which I still have a few of the last editions to be published... :). 73, n9zas

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Let's see;

Public Safety, business users, aviation comms, MURS, GMRS, along with CB should be covered by ARRL?
They are one animal, BUT they are of different "Class, Order, Family...", you get the picture.
ARRL is devoted to the amateur Class, nothing else.
CB does not belong in the amateur league and vice versa.
There are a multitude of websites that are devoted to CB, and as mentioned above, Radio Reference has a forum also.
I own several CBs and use them once in a while. They have their place. I think they serve a good purpose. But they ain't amateur radio equipment, don't need a license.

cmdrwill

I own several CBs and use them once in a while. They have their place. I think they serve a good purpose. But they ain't amateur radio equipment, don't need a license.

Actually CB IS Licensed by rule. So yes it is licensed.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
CB rules are enforced when the FCC has the time and budget to do so, though they typically go after sellers of equipment that doesn't meet the standards for the CB radio service rather than individual users.

If you look back through the FCC enforcement actions, you'll find several actions that have been taken against sellers of "export" CB radios and amplifiers.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CB rules are enforced when the FCC has the time and budget to do so, though they typically go after sellers of equipment that doesn't meet the standards for the CB radio service rather than individual users.

If you look back through the FCC enforcement actions, you'll find several actions that have been taken against sellers of "export" CB radios and amplifiers.
On paper yes, but not in reality. If you look at the actual dates that the commision has taken action on violations, you'll find its very sporadic if at all. So "License by rule" is pretty much an excuse for little to no enforcement. :roll: 73, n9zas

RFI-EMI-GUY

So true about Popular Communications. It is sad to see that many of the more general communication magazines are gone.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On paper yes, but not in reality. If you look at the actual dates that the commision has taken action on violations, you'll find its very sporadic if at all. So "License by rule" is pretty much an excuse for little to no enforcement. :roll: 73, n9zas

I believe the FCC just threw in the towel. CB is constantly abused and the rules are violated BUT it doesn't usually affect anything else and since their funds are limited, they elected to turn their efforts elsewhere.

KE0GXN

Before I got into amateur radio, I listened and even used a CB for a time. Some of the things I heard I could not repeat in any circles, much less here, however, an unfortunate fact is it also occurs on the amateur bands as well.....I heard the same if not worse malfeasance on HF on 20 meters and 80 meters. At least on the CB band folks had the sense to be anonymous. These hams actually ID or worse use someone else's ID..... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.