Hamvention - May 18 - 20, 2018 - Who is going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I think things are finally aligned so I can go to Hamvention this year. I wonder who else from RadioReference is planning on attending? I noticed past "Are you attending?" threads are all in other forums, but I think this is the correct one.

I assume Whistler will have a booth. I got an email from ScannerMaster that Rich Barnett, Jonathan Higgins, Rich Carlson, and Gommert Buijsen will be at their booth. Jonathan and Rich are driving from Boston, as will I.

Looking forward to Hamvention as 2007 was the last one I attended.

73 Eric

prcguy

I'll be there.
prcguy

Hello,

I think things are finally aligned so I can go to Hamvention this year. I wonder who else from RadioReference is planning on attending? I noticed past "Are you attending?" threads are all in other forums, but I think this is the correct one.

I assume Whistler will have a booth. I got an email from ScannerMaster that Rich Barnett, Jonathan Higgins, Rich Carlson, and Gommert Buijsen will be at their booth. Jonathan and Rich are driving from Boston, as will I.

Looking forward to Hamvention as 2007 was the last one I attended.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I noticed this about Truck parking in last year's program.
TRUCK & TRAILER PARKING
Semi-Trucks (except Vendor Semi-Trucks with pass and other parking instructions) and/or other oversized vehicles will park in the impound/tour bus /taxi lot. Use Gate 4 entrance and be directed to parking spot. If that becomes full, you will be redirected to a nearby lot within shuttle distance. Monitor Talk-In for early notice if lot is full. No overnight parking or camping is permitted. All vehicles must be removed by 9:00pm. The Greene County Sheriff and Greene County
Parks Ranger will enforce the No Overnight Parking Rule.

There is a listing of the indoor and outdoor booth assignments of vendors. Scanner Master will be at booth 3303 and The Whistler Group at booth 1503-1504.
https://info.pcboard.ca/hamvention/

I stayed in Fairborn for past Hamventions at Hara, so my route was "overland" on residential streets. This time I am staying in Miamisburg and it looks like my route is mostly divided highway. I will likely use one of the satellite parking lots.

73 Eric

Hello,

I noticed this about Truck parking in last year's program.
TRUCK & TRAILER PARKING
Semi-Trucks (except Vendor Semi-Trucks with pass and other parking instructions) and/or other oversized vehicles will park in the impound/tour bus /taxi lot. Use Gate 4 entrance and be directed to parking spot. If that becomes full, you will be redirected to a nearby lot within shuttle distance. Monitor Talk-In for early notice if lot is full. No overnight parking or camping is permitted. All vehicles must be removed by 9:00pm. The Greene County Sheriff and Greene County
Parks Ranger will enforce the No Overnight Parking Rule.

There is a listing of the indoor and outdoor booth assignments of vendors. Scanner Master will be at booth 3303 and The Whistler Group at booth 1503-1504.
https://info.pcboard.ca/hamvention/

I stayed in Fairborn for past Hamventions at Hara, so my route was "overland" on residential streets. This time I am staying in Miamisburg and it looks like my route is mostly divided highway. I will likely use one of the satellite parking lots.

73 Eric
Thank you for the information

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

A couple of scanner related vendors at Hamvention.
Scanner Master Corp. 3303
The Whistler Group 1503-1504
Universal Radio, Inc. 2005-2006

Whistler mentioned a few months ago that there was a announcement planned for May. I wonder if they will have something new at Hamvention.

Scanner Master will have a Uniden SDS-100 to demo at their booth.

73 Eric

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'll be there. Haven't missed one since the late 1980s.

Tom

GTO_04

Is Friday less crowded than the weekend? I have always wanted to go and my do so this year. The sad thing is I went to college in Dayton (UD) and was not into ham radio/scanners so much back then, and was not even aware of the Hamvention!

GTO_04

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
While you are in the area check out this free event less than 15 miles away - Memphis Belle

One of the most recognizable symbols of World War II will once again report for duty exactly 75 years after its crew finished their last mission in the war against Nazi Germany on May 17, 1943. Plans call for the fully restored Memphis Belle to be placed on permanent public display in the WWII Gallery of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force on May 17, 2018. The new exhibit surrounding the Memphis Belle will include interactive displays, rare archival film footage and many personal artifacts which have never been seen before by our visitors.

The three-day celebratory event (May 17-19, 2018) will include three B-17 Flying Fortresses, six P-51 Mustangs, and three WWII-era trainer aircraft on static display; a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Memphis Belle and Strategic Bombing Exhibits; more than 160 WWII military and home front reenactors; 30 vintage military and civilian vehicles; a Big Band Concert; book signings; and both Memphis Belle films featuring guest speakers in the Air Force Museum Theatre ($). Activities will be both inside and outside the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.

Boeing B-17F Memphis Belle™ Promotional Video-NMUSAF

Last edited:

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Definitely going to be there this year :D. Looking forward to the ride. On a side note, anyone planning on snagging a new radio toy too? I might. N9NRA

N4KVE

Liking for a P25 900, & UHF repeater in Dayton.

Been a ham since 1984, but this will be my first “Dayton” [Xenia]. Will be staying in Dayton, & driving to the show. Looking for a 900 P25, & UHF P25 repeater to use. Also a UHF Brandmeister DMR repeater. The radio sites do not specify P25, so maybe a local would know. Thanks.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Hamvention

Our club takes a charter bus on Saturday from Ann arbor. Any ham or radio enthusiast is welcome. We still have 5 seats left. See W8RP.org for info if you live in SE Michigan.

Yagi

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Been going for years. I would never miss it. We will be there for all 3 days. It's a mini vacation for us!

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I noticed AOR was listed as a vendor for last year's Hamvention, but I do not see them listed for this year. It would be neat to see the DV-10.

73 Eric

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Our club takes a charter bus on Saturday from Ann arbor. Any ham or radio enthusiast is welcome. We still have 5 seats left. See W8RP.org for info if you live in SE Michigan.

I remember another ham telling me about your one day bus run to Hamvention :), long ride, but i bet it`s a fun one! hopefully i`ll see ya there. N9NRA

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Bus trip

About 3 and a half hour ride, but with friends and hams plenty to talk about. A prize drawing is also held on the way, and last year everyone on the bus won something. The best prize was a Heil headset, and I won a Pi3.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
About 3 and a half hour ride, but with friends and hams plenty to talk about. A prize drawing is also held on the way, and last year everyone on the bus won something. The best prize was a Heil headset, and I won a Pi3.

Nice :D! Nice and short. I was thinking it was longer for some wonky reason. Anyway, nice that you have all that fun on the trip, makes for less boredom on the run, and from what the other ham told me it fills up every year, which is good, less worry about having to drive (we chat that up all the time on my run after i was asked why i decided to take a train to the show, can`t drive anyway due to a visual impairment so it`s all good). And unlike flying you can bring some eats with ya, which is also very nice. Oh, and don`t forget to BYOB, meaning bring your own bottle hint hint (just kidding, we`re more mature than that lol) :D! 73 & hope to see ya at Xenia! N9NRA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.