RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Clubs, Contests & Events


Clubs, Contests & Events - A forum to discuss upcoming events, contests and to discuss local clubs and club activities.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2018, 6:08 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 2,085
Default Hamvention - May 18 - 20, 2018 - Who is going?

Hello,

I think things are finally aligned so I can go to Hamvention this year. I wonder who else from RadioReference is planning on attending? I noticed past "Are you attending?" threads are all in other forums, but I think this is the correct one.

I assume Whistler will have a booth. I got an email from ScannerMaster that Rich Barnett, Jonathan Higgins, Rich Carlson, and Gommert Buijsen will be at their booth. Jonathan and Rich are driving from Boston, as will I.

Looking forward to Hamvention as 2007 was the last one I attended.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2018, 6:37 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,545
Default

I'll be there.
prcguy



Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

I think things are finally aligned so I can go to Hamvention this year. I wonder who else from RadioReference is planning on attending? I noticed past "Are you attending?" threads are all in other forums, but I think this is the correct one.

I assume Whistler will have a booth. I got an email from ScannerMaster that Rich Barnett, Jonathan Higgins, Rich Carlson, and Gommert Buijsen will be at their booth. Jonathan and Rich are driving from Boston, as will I.

Looking forward to Hamvention as 2007 was the last one I attended.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2018, 9:11 PM
W8RMH's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Grove City, Ohio (A BearCat not a Buckeye)
Posts: 7,275
Default

I finally got time off from work this year to attend my first one, and I am less than an hour away.
__________________
SKYWARN SPOTTER Unication G4 Home Patrol 2 BCD996XT BR330T Bearcat 4
Columbus Police Dispatch - Citywide (Ohio MARCS P25)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2018, 9:38 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: deland florida
Posts: 51
Default

Anybody know if they have tractor trailer parking? Wouldn't mind swinging thru if I'm in the area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2018, 3:51 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 2,085
Default

Hello,

I noticed this about Truck parking in last year's program.
TRUCK & TRAILER PARKING
Semi-Trucks (except Vendor Semi-Trucks with pass and other parking instructions) and/or other oversized vehicles will park in the impound/tour bus /taxi lot. Use Gate 4 entrance and be directed to parking spot. If that becomes full, you will be redirected to a nearby lot within shuttle distance. Monitor Talk-In for early notice if lot is full. No overnight parking or camping is permitted. All vehicles must be removed by 9:00pm. The Greene County Sheriff and Greene County
Parks Ranger will enforce the No Overnight Parking Rule.

There is a listing of the indoor and outdoor booth assignments of vendors. Scanner Master will be at booth 3303 and The Whistler Group at booth 1503-1504.
https://info.pcboard.ca/hamvention/

I stayed in Fairborn for past Hamventions at Hara, so my route was "overland" on residential streets. This time I am staying in Miamisburg and it looks like my route is mostly divided highway. I will likely use one of the satellite parking lots.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-10-2018, 5:03 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: deland florida
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

I noticed this about Truck parking in last year's program.
TRUCK & TRAILER PARKING
Semi-Trucks (except Vendor Semi-Trucks with pass and other parking instructions) and/or other oversized vehicles will park in the impound/tour bus /taxi lot. Use Gate 4 entrance and be directed to parking spot. If that becomes full, you will be redirected to a nearby lot within shuttle distance. Monitor Talk-In for early notice if lot is full. No overnight parking or camping is permitted. All vehicles must be removed by 9:00pm. The Greene County Sheriff and Greene County
Parks Ranger will enforce the No Overnight Parking Rule.

There is a listing of the indoor and outdoor booth assignments of vendors. Scanner Master will be at booth 3303 and The Whistler Group at booth 1503-1504.
https://info.pcboard.ca/hamvention/

I stayed in Fairborn for past Hamventions at Hara, so my route was "overland" on residential streets. This time I am staying in Miamisburg and it looks like my route is mostly divided highway. I will likely use one of the satellite parking lots.

73 Eric
Thank you for the information

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2018, 8:12 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 2,085
Default

Hello,

A couple of scanner related vendors at Hamvention.
Scanner Master Corp. 3303
The Whistler Group 1503-1504
Universal Radio, Inc. 2005-2006

Whistler mentioned a few months ago that there was a announcement planned for May. I wonder if they will have something new at Hamvention.

Scanner Master will have a Uniden SDS-100 to demo at their booth.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-27-2018, 9:09 PM
NC4AB's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Wallburg, NC
Posts: 71
Default

I plan on being there. First time for me and looking forward to it.
__________________
Andy
Firefighter / EMT
Amateur Call NC4AB / Echolink Node 5761
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM
wa8pyr's Avatar
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,877
Default

I'll be there. Haven't missed one since the late 1980s.

Tom
__________________
Tom Swisher, WA8PYR
Lead Database Administrator
PSR500/Pro197/Pro2035+OS535/BCD436HP/TRX-1

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 3:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,723
Default

Is Friday less crowded than the weekend? I have always wanted to go and my do so this year. The sad thing is I went to college in Dayton (UD) and was not into ham radio/scanners so much back then, and was not even aware of the Hamvention!

GTO_04
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 PM
W8RMH's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Grove City, Ohio (A BearCat not a Buckeye)
Posts: 7,275
Default

While you are in the area check out this free event less than 15 miles away - Memphis Belle

One of the most recognizable symbols of World War II will once again report for duty exactly 75 years after its crew finished their last mission in the war against Nazi Germany on May 17, 1943. Plans call for the fully restored Memphis Belle to be placed on permanent public display in the WWII Gallery of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force on May 17, 2018. The new exhibit surrounding the Memphis Belle will include interactive displays, rare archival film footage and many personal artifacts which have never been seen before by our visitors.

The three-day celebratory event (May 17-19, 2018) will include three B-17 Flying Fortresses, six P-51 Mustangs, and three WWII-era trainer aircraft on static display; a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Memphis Belle and Strategic Bombing Exhibits; more than 160 WWII military and home front reenactors; 30 vintage military and civilian vehicles; a Big Band Concert; book signings; and both Memphis Belle films featuring guest speakers in the Air Force Museum Theatre ($). Activities will be both inside and outside the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.

Boeing B-17F Memphis Belle™ Promotional Video-NMUSAF
__________________
SKYWARN SPOTTER Unication G4 Home Patrol 2 BCD996XT BR330T Bearcat 4
Columbus Police Dispatch - Citywide (Ohio MARCS P25)

Last edited by W8RMH; 05-03-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2018, 5:38 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 850
Smile

Definitely going to be there this year . Looking forward to the ride. On a side note, anyone planning on snagging a new radio toy too? I might. N9NRA
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2018, 7:17 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: PALM BEACH, FLORIDA
Posts: 2,602
Default Liking for a P25 900, & UHF repeater in Dayton.

Been a ham since 1984, but this will be my first “Dayton” [Xenia]. Will be staying in Dayton, & driving to the show. Looking for a 900 P25, & UHF P25 repeater to use. Also a UHF Brandmeister DMR repeater. The radio sites do not specify P25, so maybe a local would know. Thanks.
__________________
FORMERLY MOONBOOTS
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2018, 8:03 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,446
Default Hamvention

Our club takes a charter bus on Saturday from Ann arbor. Any ham or radio enthusiast is welcome. We still have 5 seats left. See W8RP.org for info if you live in SE Michigan.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
While you are in the area check out this free event less than 15 miles away - Memphis Belle


The three-day celebratory event (May 17-19, 2018) will include three B-17 Flying Fortresses, six P-51 Mustangs,

Boeing B-17F Memphis Belle™ Promotional Video-NMUSAF
I've gone to the Hmavention almost every year for the last 10 years. Lots of fun to see new and old gear.

Also as W8RMH mentioned the air museum is well worth the time to visit.
__________________
Flex 5000, Kenwood TR-751, SDR-Play, Kenwood R-2000
Radio shack Pro-2004 & DX-440, Cobra 148GTL
Pixel Pro-1, Hustler 6BTV, 92 foot dipole
M2 6 meter and 2 meter yagis
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2018, 1:06 PM
SEMTTP's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ypsilanti Michigan
Posts: 1,186
Default

Been going for years. I would never miss it. We will be there for all 3 days. It's a mini vacation for us!
__________________
Eric-KB8UYC
Dispatcher for FNNM(fnnm.net)

http://flickr.com/photos/erchambers
http://kb8uyc.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2018, 4:22 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 2,085
Default

Hello,

I noticed AOR was listed as a vendor for last year's Hamvention, but I do not see them listed for this year. It would be neat to see the DV-10.

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 850
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
Our club takes a charter bus on Saturday from Ann arbor. Any ham or radio enthusiast is welcome. We still have 5 seats left. See W8RP.org for info if you live in SE Michigan.
I remember another ham telling me about your one day bus run to Hamvention , long ride, but i bet it`s a fun one! hopefully i`ll see ya there. N9NRA
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,446
Default Bus trip

About 3 and a half hour ride, but with friends and hams plenty to talk about. A prize drawing is also held on the way, and last year everyone on the bus won something. The best prize was a Heil headset, and I won a Pi3.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2018, 6:30 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 850
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
About 3 and a half hour ride, but with friends and hams plenty to talk about. A prize drawing is also held on the way, and last year everyone on the bus won something. The best prize was a Heil headset, and I won a Pi3.
Nice ! Nice and short. I was thinking it was longer for some wonky reason. Anyway, nice that you have all that fun on the trip, makes for less boredom on the run, and from what the other ham told me it fills up every year, which is good, less worry about having to drive (we chat that up all the time on my run after i was asked why i decided to take a train to the show, can`t drive anyway due to a visual impairment so it`s all good). And unlike flying you can bring some eats with ya, which is also very nice. Oh, and don`t forget to BYOB, meaning bring your own bottle hint hint (just kidding, we`re more mature than that lol) ! 73 & hope to see ya at Xenia! N9NRA

Last edited by N9NRA; 05-10-2018 at 6:32 AM.. Reason: small correction.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions