Highlands Ranch Fatal, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

Another Sad tragedy....HEY WAIT

:mad:Just once, I'd like to see this portrayed as what it is.

A Totally Preventable Incident. I'm sick of scraping up teenagers, only to see yet another candlelight vigil held in the memory of ___________

How about what ever is left of the car gets put on a flatbed trailer, maniken's with the kids faces hung on them. Then the names of all 4 kids on the football billboard and a mandatory assembly where the Colorado Driver's Rules (passengers under 21, seatbelts, etc) are passed out and signed for. Add a few pamphlets from the various Driver's Training programs and maybe, just maybe we won't have to do this again before the end of the year.

Heaven forbid we think that the teen's driving habits were a learned response from the parents. But the courts would be hard pressed to hold the parents responsible for thier kids behavior. Much like the "tragedy" in the crosswalk at Dakota Ridge. Who gave the keys to that Driver?

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Not an original idea; this has been done since James Dean's car toured high schools. Douglas County has one and rest assured it will be touring as usual with the same frequency as before.
Coors had an accordian pickup next to the tracks by their coal chute for the employees to be reminded of a mishap on their property. Stop for those trains. Even the ones going 5 mph.
Also, even scanner hobbyists have kids in High School. My daughter is a student at Thunder Ridge and is consoling classmates. believe me, after towing her horse to Jeffco three times a week for two years, and a vacation to The Collegiate Peaks driving to meet her family, I'm here to say there are teens with more driving experience than many graduate students. Please don't group teens into areas they don't deserve to be in.
laz
MNN /094.
:mad:Just once, I'd like to see this portrayed as what it is.

A Totally Preventable Incident. I'm sick of scraping up teenagers, only to see yet another candlelight vigil held in the memory of ___________

How about what ever is left of the car gets put on a flatbed trailer, maniken's with the kids faces hung on them. Then the names of all 4 kids on the football billboard and a mandatory assembly where the Colorado Driver's Rules (passengers under 21, seatbelts, etc) are passed out and signed for. Add a few pamphlets from the various Driver's Training programs and maybe, just maybe we won't have to do this again before the end of the year.

Heaven forbid we think that the teen's driving habits were a learned response from the parents. But the courts would be hard pressed to hold the parents responsible for thier kids behavior. Much like the "tragedy" in the crosswalk at Dakota Ridge. Who gave the keys to that Driver?

lazierfan

Feed Provider
A teen is an empty book ready to write the correct behavior. I still hold out hope for all teens, myself. Also, it's been proven that the pre-teen brain is not fully developed until age eighteen. Sixteen is too young for the advanced decision making skills a lot of driving situations demand. The motions of driving can be rote and fatiguing. Defensive driving and incident awareness takes much more training and the correct student. I contend there are many more teens who have decided not to drive than when I was 16. There may be statistics to back that up, but in talking to my daughter's friends i have found that to be the case. Moosemedic used a generalization which did offend me.
try please don't group Some teens into areas they don't deserve to be in.

Last edited:

n0doz

Don't go getting all mushy-liberal there, fellas. Moose is right-on. If your kids are uber-responsible, then God bless ya, you're the exception, not the rule. But even good kids, great kids, get killed doing stupid things in cars. In my 30+ years of doing the cop thing, I've seen more than my share of reckless kids whose parents invariably say, "But officer, MY kid NEVER exceeds the speed limit," etc. Like Reagan said: "Trust, but verify." Take every opportunity to get it in their heads that they're not immortal beings gifted automatically with the skills of the Andretti family upon reaching their 16th birthday. Drill it into them that driving is NOT playing. Make them follow the letter of the law, or walk everywhere. Never stop trying to get across to them that what happened in the story above could happen to them or their friends. Never stop, because there's nothing worse than a dead kid.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Thanks for shooting down all hope in an uber-pessimist way. The field of work does it to ya, Sometimes it takes a little responsible optimism to turn the tables.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Don't go getting all mushy-liberal there, fellas. Moose is right-on. If your kids are uber-responsible, then God bless ya, you're the exception, not the rule. But even good kids, great kids, get killed doing stupid things in cars. In my 30+ years of doing the cop thing, I've seen more than my share of reckless kids whose parents invariably say, "But officer, MY kid NEVER exceeds the speed limit," etc. Like Reagan said: "Trust, but verify." Take every opportunity to get it in their heads that they're not immortal beings gifted automatically with the skills of the Andretti family upon reaching their 16th birthday. Drill it into them that driving is NOT playing. Make them follow the letter of the law, or walk everywhere. Never stop trying to get across to them that what happened in the story above could happen to them or their friends. Never stop, because there's nothing worse than a dead kid.
it took a LOT of irresponsible assumption that I don't do the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.