Wetmore wildfire in Custer County

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw2872

Wetmore Wildfire (Custer County near Fremont County) near Hwy-96 and Hwy-67 has already destroyed three structures

(started from one of those) and about 350 homes have been evacuated. This fire was first reported to be about an

acre in size but it has grown quickly since then with the high winds.

When they first reported the size they said about 1 acre, then 30-40 acres, and now I have heard 200 acres.

They closed 22 miles of Hwy-96 (into Pueblo County) from the Pueblo Reservoir to Wetmore due to fire/smoke that has

reached east to Pueblo West.

2 choppers and and 2 hotshot crews ordered to support firefighting ops.

Wetmore schools are holding students because busses cannot access the area.

The Colorado Emergency Operations Center just activated at level 4, monitoring the situation and sending their OEM

field manager to Wetmore to support their emergency manager on site.

http://www.coemergency.com/2012/10/state-eoc-activated-october-23.html

Air Quality change pending from the Pueblo County Health Department

Lots more info coming out by the minute.
Dan

Sent from my T-Mobile Smartphone using Tapatalk2

sking128

Premium Subscriber
I am Monitoring on MAC 10 SE (4009), PBO CO MAC (4310) and West Park FD (4300). Off the TWR 148.

Last edited:

dw2872

The fire has exploded to 600-700 acres.

Dan

dw2872

I am Monitoring on MAC 10 SE (4009), PBO CO MAC (4310) and West Park FD (4300). Off the TWR 148.

Yeah, I had to unlock the Cheyenne Mountain tower on my scanners just so I could listen in too.

Dan

sking128

Premium Subscriber
BLM E52 is operating on FERN and attached to the Holmes Rd Strike Team. Accountability Roll call will be at 1720. I will attempt to get a resources list then.

dw2872

Just heard, they are going to turn this incident over to a Type III IMT this evening, and then a Type II IMT tomorrow.

I just heard that on Pueblo MAC also. But also heard something about a Type 1 with 3 personnel on its way.

Dan

dw2872

That is for a Type 1 and Type 3 Eng, the other post is for an IMT.

Yes, you are right. It sounds like they just started the role call a little late. I am sure your next post will have list (otherwise I would be jotting them down LOL).

Dan

sking128

Premium Subscriber
OK this what I got from the over the air PAR, CMD is calling in the status of what is at staging.

Highway 96 TF:
Red Creek E1
ESV E2 W/ RT34 and RT12 on board
Wildlife 236, sounds like a Tender not sure

Holmes Rd TF:
Red Creek B2
Pueblo Rural 94 (E?)
Red Creek Tender 1
BLM E2

Siloam Rd TF:
West Park E2
Tech Center B3
S17 (?)
Wildlife 211

Everhart(SP?) TF
Pueblo West E3
ESV E1
Pueblo Wet Tender 1
S19 (?)

Total personnel in the field = 54

Pueblo County D43 sounds like IC.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Why would you expect to see a TFR today?

I posted the info so people would not waste time looking for a TFR ATT - and so they would have the URL for future use.

If you have info about when TFRs are posted or not posted, why dont you share it?

dw2872

It sounds like Pueblo County's Hwy-96 TF lost accountability of 2 Cheraw (just north of La Junta) tenders for a long while and they found them about 20 minutes before 8pm. They were somehow re-assigned to Custer County protecting structures.

Also, Dept of Wildlife 236 was just re-assigned from Pueblo County to TF Bainbridge in Wetmore and will now be on their Simplex-3.

dw2872

This fire is now over 1000 acres and the entire town of Wetmore, as well as Greenwood Village have been evacuated in Custer County. Even in Pueblo County over 300 homes have been evacuated.

rfburns

If you have info about when TFRs are posted or not posted, why dont you share it?
TFR's are only implemented on a wildland fire incident when firefighting aircraft are preparing to fly on the incident. They don't happen just because there is smoke in the air. I think most people here know that. Is it different in Massachusetts?

Obviously there wasn't going to be any aerial firefighting this afternoon when winds were gusting 58-77 MPH at the fire's RAWS site.

BTW the RH was 9% when the fire began and the fuel temperature was 81 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.