Westminster & Arvada P25 Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Lots of chatter in radio-land that Westminster may be choosing to sole source Cassidian for their P25 system, and not bringing Arvada along? There is also word of an RFP on the street for a P25 system for Arvada too. Interesting...

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I would think it would make more sense for both of these departments to join the DTRS system. I don't see a lot of advantages for departments this size to maintain their own radio system anymore when there is a system that covers their cities and allows them to roam out of their cities and stay in contact. I understand the wanting to control their own radio system, but the state system's advantages far out way that. At least I think so.

greenthumb

Database Admin
It seems that Westminster is looking to do their own thing, but Arvada wants to share a system with someone else. DTRS is one idea, but it is too capacity-limited to be able to handle these cities as it sits today, and coverage limited on the west end of these cities. With no sites in Westminster or Arvada, they lose a lot of in building coverage. They would probably end up having their own site(s) on DTRS and then not be allowed on any neighboring site(s) like the simulcast, Thorodin, Lookout, etc. until they add channels - which adds more cost to them on top of what they're needing in their cities. The other issue is the sustainability of DTRS these days - being so big without any funding - which I would imagine these cities view as a problem and risk unto itself.

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Agree completely DTRS is out of money and is not a substainable business model.

Jim<

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I would love to see the Rocky Mountain EDACS users group (including Lakewood) create a metro wide P25 system somewhat like what El Paso County has. Sure, Death Valley might get 10 feet of snow before this happens, yet, I think the benefits of this type of system would have wonderful advantages for the users of it.

towersites

Premium Subscriber
Its around the corner. Want to find out more? We are looking for a few good men with RF back grounds.

rckydenver

Thanks greenthumb for the above info. I read the first part of adobe reader part where there looking at min of 7 to max of 14 freqs. Sounds like well be putting our scanners in search mode down the line.. Take about 9 months. To be completed by the years end.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The RFP states the desired use of an existing P25 system while adding a primary site (68th and Estes). Has the City already established inter-governmental agreements with neighboring P25 systems? If yes, can the City indicate the specific neighboring system(s) with which an IGA has been established?
No inter-governmental agreement has been established for the system requested in this RFP.

Also says 800MHz only, no 700MHz will be used.

Jim<

greenthumb

Database Admin
Theoretically, there are a lot of ways to get that system to work with Network First. It will be interesting to see if it happens though.

greenthumb

Database Admin
Westminster just applied for a 10 GHz microwave link from the public safety center on Yates out to the fire station near 100th & Wadsworth. We'll have to see if this ends up being one of their P25 sites - no tower there that I can see right now and the microwave is supposed to be mounted on the fire station.

Last edited:

rfburns

Did anyone hear the P25 testing in Westminster comparing Tait and Motorola subscriber radios? They were testing with the windows down and music blaring, evidently trying to determine which radio was the most resistant to background noise. For the most part I thought the Tait radio had better sounding transmit audio. Anyone else have an opinion of the test?

Status
Not open for further replies.