Colorado Interoperability

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfburns

"Technology is no longer the de facto problem with interoperability: in most cases, the technology exists, but as mentioned previously, challenges often remain in the areas of governance, SOPs, training and exercises, and usage."

The above is quoted from the Dept. of Homeland Security report released to the public yesterday titled Multi-Band Radio Pilot Report (December 2012).

I wonder if the authors spent any time in Colorado during the three year investigative period.

How many agencies in Colorado have MBR units now?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
How many agencies in Colorado have MBR units now?

Few are out there, and even fewer are used on a day-to-day basis. If you do see them, they're probably only going to be in command type vehicles, mobile command posts, EOCs and radio shops.

No agencies in Colorado participated - the list is in the report:

Arizona Emergency Management
Blaine Police Department / Vancouver Transit Police
Boise Fire Department
Chicago Police Department / Emergency Management
Hawaii State Civil Defense
Indianapolis Fire Department Miami/Dade County Public Safety
Michigan Department of Community Health/EMS and Trauma Systems
Murray State University
National Capital Region Public Safety Communications Interoperability Group
New Orleans Public Safety
Phoenix Police Department
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Last edited:

nathancarlson

I know that even with the capabilities to communicate between agencies, there are several times when law agencies aren't sure where to find the mutual aid channels in their radios. I can understand when a bunch of agencies are looking for a dangerous guy (like at Johnsons corner last week) they don't want to play around with their radios but you would think they would be more familiar with them. Fire agencies seem to do a lot better when it comes to knowing how to use the radios, channels, and work with their neighboring agencies. It sure makes monitoring interesting! I have a lot of confidence in our dispatchers, and they seem to get people patched together when its needed and I wish they got more credit from the public on the amazing service they provide us with! They are my heroes along with all the cops and firefighters (and radio techs).

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide real examples of the above?

Communications in law enforcement in mutal aid settings are typically different than what you may find in the fire service.

There is very little need to have 20+ officers all gather on the same channel/talkgroup and try to sort things out. The "interoperbility" buzzword does not equal the entire shift to be on another channel.

The general SOP is for incident commanders, shift commanders and tactical commanders between agencies or intra-agency be able to speak to each other - while other comms are done on the respective agenices channel or talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.