Aurora Fire Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Today I could only hear the "dispatch" side of AFD Dispatch (TG 529). Furthermore on AFD TAC-2 (TG 530) I was hearing what sounded like a separate fire dispatcher talking to fire units, but you could hear both sides of AFD TAC-2 just fine. Can someone explain why they would have two dispatchers talking to fire units on different channels, and why the main Fire Dispatch channel only had one "side" working?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
You do not hear units in the field responding to the dispatcher on the AFD dispatch talkgroup is because units in the field transmit in provoice digital which scanners are incapable of decoding on their own.

Originally everything was setup as provoice digital for APD and AFD when this radio system went live. After a short period of time AFD dumped the digital mode. For whatever reason when the FD radios were reprogrammed field radios were left in the digital transmit mode on the dispatch talkgroup.

As to why more than one dispatcher. Aurora isn't exactly a walk through town.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You do not hear units in the field responding to the dispatcher on the AFD dispatch talkgroup is because units in the field transmit in provoice digital which scanners are incapable of decoding on their own.

Originally everything was setup as provoice digital for APD and AFD when this radio system went live. After a short period of time AFD dumped the digital mode. For whatever reason when the FD radios were reprogrammed field radios were left in the digital transmit mode on the dispatch talkgroup.

As to why more than one dispatcher. Aurora isn't exactly a walk through town.

So, when I'm using my 396XT (standalone) I can still hear FD radios on every other Fire channel, other than FD Dispatch? I guess that may not be a huge deal because it seems like they typically direct all responding units to TAC-2 or another TAC channel shortly after a call goes out.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
So, when I'm using my 396XT (standalone) I can still hear FD radios on every other Fire channel, other than FD Dispatch?

Almost. Admin and Dispatch are the two channels where the units in the field are in Provoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.