Move as-heard event posts to another forum please?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverdog

CO discussion forum users:

Is anyone else interested in having the in-progress calls and those things that people are reporting as-heard on their scanners moved to a new forum? I for one would prefer that this forum remain "technically" oriented like the other state forums, with discussions of TG's, radio resources, state site status, programming for our systems, etc.

fairrpe86

I feel that the events are just as big a part of the Colorado Radio Discussion as the other issues are. There may be tg's and towers and resources and programming but none of thta means anything if you dont get to hear any of the incidents or hear about the good ones that you missed out on that make you wanted to get a bigger and better scanner so you can hear anything and everything. i know a lot of the time I am bummed out when I miss something good but then again I cant afford a $500 scanner because I dont have the money right now.

RISC777

If in-progress and related type posts get moved, where would they be moved to? What I'm getting at by that question is let's say they make a forum for them, then they would have to divide it out state by state I'm thinking. That's something I don't quite see the forums administration doing.

Not saying it's a bad thought. To me it doesn't matter 'where' they are posted, but I do appreciate the fact that they are and they we/they can post such.

rc104a

Liverdog said:
CO discussion forum users:

Is anyone else interested in having the in-progress calls and those things that people are reporting as-heard on their scanners moved to a new forum? I for one would prefer that this forum remain "technically" oriented like the other state forums, with discussions of TG's, radio resources, state site status, programming for our systems, etc.

It would seem to me that this is a violation of Sect 705 of the Comm Act of 1934 as amended 1996.

SEC. 705. [47 U.S.C. 605] UNAUTHORIZED PUBLICATION OF COMMUNICATIONS.
(a) Except as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, United States Code, no person receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof,...

RISC777

The definitions of "publication" and "publish" more than ninety percent of the time specify written material. The definition of "divulge" specifies disseminated information meant to be kept secret. I would think that the administration of this message forum would step in and make a policy change since I know they take the steps necessary to remain within the guidelines of the law and regulations.

Besies, anything posted here, if someone wanted to use it for criminal intent, would already own a scanner, or more than one, and not have nor take the time for reading a message forum, yes? If they do or did, they're not very good at being criminals.

(And, yes, I'm the one that responded to a post [VA3CEF or such actually started that particular thread] of yours offering to help you any or all that I can with getting your new BC796D setup and programmed. State Patrol monitoring is what the main focus was, right? It's still a standing offer.)

Last edited:

hoser147

If it aint broke dont fix it. Lindsay and the Moderators are doing a great job. The occasional incidents that are post worthy make interesting reading and bring those who didnt catch something up to speed on what they have missed out on............hoser147

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Everyone take a look at the Maryland Forum. They have a Sticky for Major Events... http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I can create a Sticky thread just like they have for major events, or we can keep it they way it is with a thread for every event.

I was also thinking to create a new Sticky thread every month, it will be easier to go back and do a search :)

Everyone needs to put Vote on this! This is OUR Forum!

LFRfreak

No separate forums and no stickies

I'm with captaincraig44. I like one stop shopping. As far as sticky threads go, I don't like the idea. I want to have a separate thread for each incident. Its quicker and easier to see what's going on. This forum is perfect just the way it is.

-LFRfreak

Scan-Denver

abqscan said:
Everyone take a look at the Maryland Forum. They have a Sticky for Major Events... http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I can create a Sticky thread just like they have for major events, or we can keep it they way it is with a thread for every event.

I was also thinking to create a new Sticky thread every month, it will be easier to go back and do a search :)

Everyone needs to put Vote on this! This is OUR Forum!
Thanks Erik for presenting an option, we appreciate all you do !

My vote... leave it the way it is. My opinion, this makes it easier to go back and search within a specific thread for a particular post rather than searching in a sticky.

rc104a

RISC777 said:
The definitions of "publication" and "publish" more than ninety percent of the time specify written material. The definition of "divulge" specifies disseminated information meant to be kept secret. I would think that the administration of this message forum would step in and make a policy change since I know they take the steps necessary to remain within the guidelines of the law and regulations.

Besies, anything posted here, if someone wanted to use it for criminal intent, would already own a scanner, or more than one, and not have nor take the time for reading a message forum, yes? If they do or did, they're not very good at being criminals.

(And, yes, I'm the one that responded to a post [VA3CEF or such actually started that particular thread] of yours offering to help you any or all that I can with getting your new BC796D setup and programmed. State Patrol monitoring is what the main focus was, right? It's still a standing offer.)

The discussion made me think of an incident in the mid-late 1960's, I was a kid in a small Nebraska town of 3000 or so. The police caught wind that I was listening to them (and probably blabbing about what I heard). I had (still have) a Realistic DuoBand tuneable Lo-Hi VHF receiver. The Chief of Police copied Section 705 and brought it to our house and told me that listening was fine, just do not divulge what you hear or I would have some serious problems. That really stuck, still to this day, I do not discuss what I hear on public service frequencies, or any other, for that matter. Yes, I am here to learn about monitoring the CO DTRS for my personal entertainment. Since I live in GJ, I could care less about incidents on the eastern slope, so I simply do not open the discussions that I am not interested in. And thank-you for your standing offer. My laptop does not have a serial port so the software doesnt really do me much good until I find a USB-RS232 adapter (that works) or I get my Sager notebook (with serial port) back from CA. My BC796D seems to work fine after typing in some local towers and id's. A lot has changed in the past 35-40 yrs regarding public service monitoring, I thought I would throw that in and see what kind of responces it would generate. No offence or challenge is/was intended.
Rick

BobWeb

My feeling is leave things the way they are. If you don't want to read about incidents as they happen, don't open the post. Likewise, if you feel posting what you hear is wrong, then don't do it.

Todd-NG

rc104a said:
It would seem to me that this is a violation of Sect 705 of the Comm Act of 1934 as amended 1996.

SEC. 705. [47 U.S.C. 605] UNAUTHORIZED PUBLICATION OF COMMUNICATIONS.
(a) Except as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, United States Code, no person receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof,...

This was just discussed a little over a week ago. "Crayon" pointed us to a thread that clarifies things a little better. Here is a link to that thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525 Crayon's input to this thread makes for some interesting reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.