BCD325P2 ProVoice Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

punky1402

Premium Subscriber
I have the Uniden BCD325P2 and saw that there is an optional (paid) upgrade you can get that enables the ProVoice system CODEC. Is it worth it? I do live in Denver and see that the Denver County EDACS system does seem to be one of systems that has this. Anyone do this yet and is it worth it? What would it enable me to listen to without the upgrade? I know it wouldn't be able to decode the encrypted talk groups. Am I missing out on something?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I have the Uniden BCD325P2 and saw that there is an optional (paid) upgrade you can get that enables the ProVoice system CODEC. Is it worth it? I do live in Denver and see that the Denver County EDACS system does seem to be one of systems that has this. Anyone do this yet and is it worth it? What would it enable me to listen to without the upgrade? I know it wouldn't be able to decode the encrypted talk groups. Am I missing out on something?

ProVoice is limited to a few talkgroups used by special units within Denver Police Department and those talkgroups are not always active. You can get a sense of what the upgrade would get you by looking for any talkgroup flagged with D(igital) under the Mode column in the database. It is really personal preference for whether or not it is worth it for those kind of talkgroups. Keep in mind that Denver will likely be on a P25 system by 2019.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Spitfire, when Denver goes to P25, will I be able to hit them up north by Loveland or will they still be on a low power wattage?

punky1402

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replys guys. I guess I'll ponder on that, since it only looks like a handful of talkgroups that are using the D mode. I'll probably go ahead with the DMR upgrade.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Spitfire, when Denver goes to P25, will I be able to hit them up north by Loveland or will they still be on a low power wattage?

It is unlikely if you cannot currently hear Denver. They do not have a design for the new system yet, but they will likely reuse many of the same towers that they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.