Ham radio ?s from a rocky mountain wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I had some basic questions that google isnt really helping with so Im here to get the answers. I offroad in the mountains a lot and this year i had a circumstance that really would have been smart to have the proper radio for emergency communication. I know this requires a license if i pursue getting this radio. I have a cb midland 75-822 that i could buy an magnetic antenna for, but much of what ive read suggests a cb in the mountains isnt much better than a walky talky sooo...

-Is ham radio my best chance to reach out for emergency contact when deep woods?
- is this what forest service, rangers/ search and rescue use?
- ive seen some videos of jeepers using CB and ham for more serious comm in their rig but i cant see how, do they have two individual radios or do some hams allow you to use both?

- do you recommend any radios or set ups for a jeeper? i see kenwood hams a lot in videos but clearly i have much to research on this.

thanks for entertaining the newb ?s, im strongly considering my investment and education into this radio for my safety.

bharvey2

Just as (if not more) important than the method of communication you use is the condition that someone will be on the other end of that communication. While ham radio offers many methods and bands, there is no guarantee that someone will be on the other end to listen to you. I'm not "poo poo"ing ham radio it just that it wasn't necessarily designed as an emergency service although in many instances it has been used for that purpose.

If there is someone in particular that you intend to contact, it may be of use to you. If you're relying on an anonymous responder then you could be out of luck. Have you considered a PLB (personal locator beacon) or satellite phone? They're probably better suited for true, off the grid, emergency use. There's nothing wrong with CB or ham radio to supplement other forms of communication but I wouldn't want to rely solely on either.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all,

I had some basic questions that google isnt really helping with so Im here to get the answers. I offroad in the mountains a lot and this year i had a circumstance that really would have been smart to have the proper radio for emergency communication. I know this requires a license if i pursue getting this radio. I have a cb midland 75-822 that i could buy an magnetic antenna for, but much of what ive read suggests a cb in the mountains isnt much better than a walky talky sooo...

Welcome!

I do a fair amount of off roading, mostly in UTV's in Northern California and Nevada, so take my input as a guy that's driven through Colorado many times, but not spent much time off road.
I am an amateur radio operator. I also work in the 2 way radio industry.

-Is ham radio my best chance to reach out for emergency contact when deep woods?

Individual people will have different definitions of "emergency". To me that's a immediate threat to life, limb or property. To me getting a flat tire in the woods isn't an emergency, it's probably not your definition, either.

In an emergency you want to contact someone who can get you help on the way ASAP. Any two way radio can fill that role, but ONLY if there is someone on the other end of the radio that knows what to do. That's the hard part. Simply owning a radio won't do you any good if:
You don't know how to use it.
You don't have the right radio for the job.
You don't have the right radio for the application
You have no one to talk to on the far end.
You don't have it installed/programmed/setup correctly.
You don't have power.
And probably a hundred other things.

The issue with Amateur radio is that it depends solely on volunteer cooperation. In other words, no one is being paid to sit at the far end and listen to the radio. That makes the ability to reach someone who can help you a toss up.
Nothing against amateur radio. If you have the correct equipment you can often reach someone 24x7, but there are a lot of variables involved.
VHF/UHF radios that are so common are -primarily- line of sight. In other words, your antenna has to be able to "see" the other antenna to have a two way conversation. Back in the mountains this can be difficult. Repeaters can provide coverage that extends beyond your own line of sight, but there has to be a working repeater, your radio has to be programmed to use it, and there still has to be someone listening.
That's a lot of "if's" for an emergency.
HF (High Frequency -short wave-) radio can get you communications around the world, but there's a lot involved. It requires some big antennas, more expensive radios, and more knowledge to make it all work right. Chances are you'd always find someone to talk to, problem is they may be in another state, country, continent, etc.

If you want to reach someone in a true emergency, then you need to be looking at a Personal Locator Beacon. This is a small device that picks up a GPS signal and will transmit that to a satellite. The signal gets routed to a center that will decode that signal and do something with it. 24x7. As long as you can see enough of the sky to reach a satellite, it'll work. It won't work in a cave, bottom of a well, etc.
Using that signal, they'll know the PLB ID number, which would be tied to you, a brief note that you can have added to your ID number file and your GPS location. Any activation of one of these PLB's get treated as a true emergency and someone will (eventually) come and find you.
A PLB will run you from $200 or more. No license required, and all you need to do is properly register it. Every couple of years they have to be sent in to the manufacturer to have their internal battery replaced. The current models do not have a user replaceable battery.

The other option is the "Spot" units. These are a subscription service, so you are paying a monthly/annual fee for the service, plus the cost of the device. This will quickly cost more than a simple PLB, but it does give you some options like a "check in" function that will send an e-mail to a predetermined list saying "I'm OK and providing your location". The other is a "I need assistance" type non-emergency message that is intended to reach family/friend and let them know you are OK, but need some help. There is also a service you can buy that does a "breadcrumb" type trail that others can access on line. In addition to these non-emergency functions, ther is the true "SOS" type function that does pretty much the same thing as the PLB.
But, like I said, all that will cost you. The devices are not as durable and stories of awful customer service from the service provider abound. Some I ride with has one, and he likes it. On the other hand, when we got one to keep with us, we went with the PLB model.
Either one will work.

Amateur radio, CB, GMRS, FRS, etc. are all good things to have. You may be able to get help on one of those, but it is NOT guaranteed. The flip side is that if you are monitoring the right frequency/channel, you might be able to hear someone else calling for help, giving you the chance to be the rescuer. You can also use those for trail communications, talking to others, etc, so they do have their place. I'd still recommend a CB as the default choice with at least a VHF amateur radio also.

The other option, a good, but expensive one, is a satellite phone. They'll work almost anywhere and give you the opportunity to call whoever you want. But, figure on $1500 or so for the phone, $50/month for basic service. Drawback is that they do not work well under the tree canopy, so you do need a view of the clear sky.

Sort of comes down to budget and picking the best communications tools for what you perceive to be the situation you'd most likely run into. I'd recommend at least two of the above options, with a strong preference for a PLB/Spot type device as one of them.

- is this what forest service, rangers/ search and rescue use?

No. They use specifically licensed channels that you will not have access to with your amateur radio or amateur radio license. Some search and rescue teams do have amateur radio operators, however they would need to know what channel/frequency you were on to make contact.

- ive seen some videos of jeepers using CB and ham for more serious comm in their rig but i cant see how, do they have two individual radios or do some hams allow you to use both?

The current FCC rules require them to be separate radios. Sure, some guys ignore the rules and do it anyway, but there's a lot you need to know to do it correctly. Also, think of it as the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario. Separate radios would be a benefit, plus if done right, legal.

- do you recommend any radios or set ups for a jeeper? i see kenwood hams a lot in videos but clearly i have much to research on this.

A good 2 meter band VHF mobile would be a good place to start. Kenwood makes great radio, you won't go wrong with them. There are also other manufacturers, Icom, Yaesu, and a few others. Asking for advice on brands is like asking what brand of car you should buy, everyone will have a different opinion. None of them wrong, all good brands, but you'll get a lot of people telling you what brand they have and why you should buy the same. Not always helpful.

Other option is a dual band VHF/UHF radio. These give you a bit more flexibility, but neither has a huge advantage over another. The radios will cost more, they are often a bit more complex, but still a good option.

More importantly than which radio is "which antenna". Your radio is ONLY as good as your antenna. You need to pay very close attention to the type or antenna you chose. This is a big deal, and because you are in a Jeep, it makes it a bit of a challenge. The important thing is to figure out what radio you want and then pick the antenna from there. My only word of advice is to avoid the low end Chinese stuff (both radios and antennas) and to stick to known good brands. There is some real junk out there, and you do not want to be relying on cheap junk in an emergency.

thanks for entertaining the newb ?s, im strongly considering my investment and education into this radio for my safety.

Amateur radio is a great tool to have at your disposal, but it's a tool, not a solution on it's own. Knowing how to properly use the tool is a bigger part of the success. The amateur radio test alone won't teach you much. It's important to find someone to tutor you and assist with getting the equipment set up and how to use it. It's not necessarily easy, so make sure you nail that part down or you may find your frustration level rising.

As for me and my family, we run commercial VHF radios in our UTV's. Every UTV has a mobile radio with a permanent mount antenna. The radios are programmed to use a couple of 2 meter amateur radio frequencies. They are invaluable on the trail, as it's really easy to get separated. I would not ride without a radio, either in a group or on my own.
We're mainly concerned about talking between family members (they all have their amateur radio license), so not much in the way of random contacts. We do have the radios programmed to use local repeaters where we frequent, as well as a few common "calling" channels.

bharvey2

mmckenna, you gave him the unabridged version. I'd say you answered just about any question he had. You earned your beer today.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Welcome!

I do a fair amount of off roading, mostly in UTV's in Northern California and Nevada, so take my input as a guy that's driven through Colorado many times, but not spent much time off road.
I am an amateur radio operator. I also work in the 2 way radio industry.

Individual people will have different definitions of "emergency". To me that's a immediate threat to life, limb or property. To me getting a flat tire in the woods isn't an emergency, it's probably not your definition, either.

In an emergency you want to contact someone who can get you help on the way ASAP. Any two way radio can fill that role, but ONLY if there is someone on the other end of the radio that knows what to do. That's the hard part. Simply owning a radio won't do you any good if:
You don't know how to use it.
You don't have the right radio for the job.
You don't have the right radio for the application
You have no one to talk to on the far end.
You don't have it installed/programmed/setup correctly.
You don't have power.
And probably a hundred other things.

The issue with Amateur radio is that it depends solely on volunteer cooperation. In other words, no one is being paid to sit at the far end and listen to the radio. That makes the ability to reach someone who can help you a toss up.
Nothing against amateur radio. If you have the correct equipment you can often reach someone 24x7, but there are a lot of variables involved.
VHF/UHF radios that are so common are -primarily- line of sight. In other words, your antenna has to be able to "see" the other antenna to have a two way conversation. Back in the mountains this can be difficult. Repeaters can provide coverage that extends beyond your own line of sight, but there has to be a working repeater, your radio has to be programmed to use it, and there still has to be someone listening.
That's a lot of "if's" for an emergency.
HF (High Frequency -short wave-) radio can get you communications around the world, but there's a lot involved. It requires some big antennas, more expensive radios, and more knowledge to make it all work right. Chances are you'd always find someone to talk to, problem is they may be in another state, country, continent, etc.

If you want to reach someone in a true emergency, then you need to be looking at a Personal Locator Beacon. This is a small device that picks up a GPS signal and will transmit that to a satellite. The signal gets routed to a center that will decode that signal and do something with it. 24x7. As long as you can see enough of the sky to reach a satellite, it'll work. It won't work in a cave, bottom of a well, etc.
Using that signal, they'll know the PLB ID number, which would be tied to you, a brief note that you can have added to your ID number file and your GPS location. Any activation of one of these PLB's get treated as a true emergency and someone will (eventually) come and find you.
A PLB will run you from $200 or more. No license required, and all you need to do is properly register it. Every couple of years they have to be sent in to the manufacturer to have their internal battery replaced. The current models do not have a user replaceable battery.

The other option is the "Spot" units. These are a subscription service, so you are paying a monthly/annual fee for the service, plus the cost of the device. This will quickly cost more than a simple PLB, but it does give you some options like a "check in" function that will send an e-mail to a predetermined list saying "I'm OK and providing your location". The other is a "I need assistance" type non-emergency message that is intended to reach family/friend and let them know you are OK, but need some help. There is also a service you can buy that does a "breadcrumb" type trail that others can access on line. In addition to these non-emergency functions, ther is the true "SOS" type function that does pretty much the same thing as the PLB.
But, like I said, all that will cost you. The devices are not as durable and stories of awful customer service from the service provider abound. Some I ride with has one, and he likes it. On the other hand, when we got one to keep with us, we went with the PLB model.
Either one will work.

Amateur radio, CB, GMRS, FRS, etc. are all good things to have. You may be able to get help on one of those, but it is NOT guaranteed. The flip side is that if you are monitoring the right frequency/channel, you might be able to hear someone else calling for help, giving you the chance to be the rescuer. You can also use those for trail communications, talking to others, etc, so they do have their place. I'd still recommend a CB as the default choice with at least a VHF amateur radio also.

The other option, a good, but expensive one, is a satellite phone. They'll work almost anywhere and give you the opportunity to call whoever you want. But, figure on $1500 or so for the phone, $50/month for basic service. Drawback is that they do not work well under the tree canopy, so you do need a view of the clear sky.

Sort of comes down to budget and picking the best communications tools for what you perceive to be the situation you'd most likely run into. I'd recommend at least two of the above options, with a strong preference for a PLB/Spot type device as one of them.

No. They use specifically licensed channels that you will not have access to with your amateur radio or amateur radio license. Some search and rescue teams do have amateur radio operators, however they would need to know what channel/frequency you were on to make contact.

The current FCC rules require them to be separate radios. Sure, some guys ignore the rules and do it anyway, but there's a lot you need to know to do it correctly. Also, think of it as the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario. Separate radios would be a benefit, plus if done right, legal.

A good 2 meter band VHF mobile would be a good place to start. Kenwood makes great radio, you won't go wrong with them. There are also other manufacturers, Icom, Yaesu, and a few others. Asking for advice on brands is like asking what brand of car you should buy, everyone will have a different opinion. None of them wrong, all good brands, but you'll get a lot of people telling you what brand they have and why you should buy the same. Not always helpful.

Other option is a dual band VHF/UHF radio. These give you a bit more flexibility, but neither has a huge advantage over another. The radios will cost more, they are often a bit more complex, but still a good option.

More importantly than which radio is "which antenna". Your radio is ONLY as good as your antenna. You need to pay very close attention to the type or antenna you chose. This is a big deal, and because you are in a Jeep, it makes it a bit of a challenge. The important thing is to figure out what radio you want and then pick the antenna from there. My only word of advice is to avoid the low end Chinese stuff (both radios and antennas) and to stick to known good brands. There is some real junk out there, and you do not want to be relying on cheap junk in an emergency.

Amateur radio is a great tool to have at your disposal, but it's a tool, not a solution on it's own. Knowing how to properly use the tool is a bigger part of the success. The amateur radio test alone won't teach you much. It's important to find someone to tutor you and assist with getting the equipment set up and how to use it. It's not necessarily easy, so make sure you nail that part down or you may find your frustration level rising.

As for me and my family, we run commercial VHF radios in our UTV's. Every UTV has a mobile radio with a permanent mount antenna. The radios are programmed to use a couple of 2 meter amateur radio frequencies. They are invaluable on the trail, as it's really easy to get separated. I would not ride without a radio, either in a group or on my own.
We're mainly concerned about talking between family members (they all have their amateur radio license), so not much in the way of random contacts. We do have the radios programmed to use local repeaters where we frequent, as well as a few common "calling" channels.

Like mmckenna, I do something similar as well. All of the ranch vehicles (UTVs, pickups and Jeeps) have VHF radios (which we are finishing migrating to off of the UHF radios we used to use). The "ranch" stuff is generally located up in Colorado but here lately dad and I have been hauling ATV's and my Jeep back and forth between that place and our hunting lease in central Texas. Dad just bought an Artic Cat side-by-side so I've been figuring out a radio plan for that one.

It's not the end all solution, but VHF is where I'd start. If you're running a XJ, ZJ...something with a roof, a 1/4 wave VHF antenna would be your best performmer. Somemthing like a CJ/YJ/TJ/JK...a flat fender mount with a 1/2 wave VHF antenna would be your best bet. I'm planning on putting a new radio in my XJ this Thanksgiving and upgrading the anlog dual band radio to a digital VHF radio. I'm the only one in the family with a amteur license so I run mostly on commercial licensing. Luckily, I've done some work for a few of the local municipalites and have been given permission to use their systems in an emergency but not everyone has access to some of that information (like mmckenna, I also work in the industry).

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
My 2 cents :)

Unless there's an amateur repeater handy, CB or FRS/GMRS will be pretty well as effective as ham radio VHF or UHF..... Especially in the mountains.

I have a Jeep JK Wrangler and have both ham radio HF and UHF/VHF capability. On the lower bands (80 and 40 meters) I get dependable communications that allows me to talk to people up to around 200 miles during the day and much further at night. (I was just chatting with a friend who was 90 miles away on the 80 meter band yesterday evening).

My ham radio can be modified to operate on the CB band, but it's illegal. CB radios have to be type accepted so no ham radios can be legally modified to operate there. When I wheel with friends, I have a basic little el cheapo Midland CB and a 102 inch whip that fits on the same connector that I normally use for my HF ham antenna. (Our local Jeep club requires that you have a CB while on outings)

But, as pointed out.. To use HF you need to get a more advanced license than the entry level beginner's ticket. To do this requires quite a bit of knowledge and study.

Unless your friends are all willing to get their licenses ham radio won't be of much use if you want to be legal since you can only talk to other licensed hams on amateur frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
mmckenna, you gave him the unabridged version. I'd say you answered just about any question he had. You earned your beer today.

Well, crap, I've already had two, so I owe someone….

But seriously, I've been tackling this question for decades, both off roading in full size trucks and then moving to ATV's and UTV's.

It really does come down to figuring out who it is you want to talk to and then just agreeing on a method.
CB worked well for us for a long time, but as kids/wives came along, the crap on CB became unacceptable.
I'd had my amateur license for decades, but since no one else in the family would get theirs, I went the GMRS route.

GMRS worked well since we were running 35 watt mobile radios with a permanent mount antenna on all the vehicles. Talking 15 miles between trucks on the highway was no issue.
While we did have access to a few repeaters, it wasn't enough coverage for what we wanted.

Finally got a few of them to take their amateur test, and moved everyone to VHF on the 2 meter band. That has worked very well for communications between riders. A 50 watt mobile with a good antenna will work well.

As for emergencies, I'd never rely on amateur, GMRS, FRS, or CB. Just no faith that anyone would be helpful. In the past when I've tried to use amateur radio to get help in an emergency, I've always ended up talking to someone who "didn't want to get involved", or was just too useless to continue talking to.

A PLB or satellite phone is the ONLY way to go if you are looking for life/death emergency communications. Radios will work, but you have to plan ahead, have someone listening on the right frequency and they have to be within range. Too many variables and too hard to arrange in most cases.

Even around here many of the utility and public safety vehicles are starting to sprout satellite antennas. If you really get out in the sticks, the only reliable help is from overhead.

Again I'm very uneducated in the radio world:
I will look into a PLB as one tool, though a radio is smart to have. It sounds like Vhf/Uhf wouldn't be bad, but I'll let you decide.

The situation I got into was hydro locking a vehicle without supplies. Not like a fixed radio would have been any help if the vehicle wasn't going to supply power.

Since then I've been looking for a means that would be a smart communication device that I could reach out to somebody with. being high in the mountains whether it be with other offroaders, campers, some close enough people passing that could pick up a communication. As you have mentioned it's just an additional tool but I would like to pick the more likely of one that I could get somebody else on the other end with.

That being said do you have any information on where I could look up where there would be repeaters, how they work and what radio would be a smart choice for reaching out to people. Would this be of any use to me in the situation where I needed to get in touch with somebody with some immediacy?

kc0kp

I will look into a PLB as one tool, though a radio is smart to have. It sounds like Vhf/Uhf wouldn't be bad, but I'll let you decide.

The situation I got into was hydro locking a vehicle without supplies. Not like a fixed radio would have been any help if the vehicle wasn't going to supply power.

Since then I've been looking for a means that would be a smart communication device that I could reach out to somebody with. being high in the mountains whether it be with other offroaders, campers, some close enough people passing that could pick up a communication. As you have mentioned it's just an additional tool but I would like to pick the more likely of one that I could get somebody else on the other end with.

That being said do you have any information on where I could look up where there would be repeaters, how they work and what radio would be a smart choice for reaching out to people. Would this be of any use to me in the situation where I needed to get in touch with somebody with some immediacy?

This is a general idea of where repeaters are in Colorado:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=8&tab=ham
Some are VHF, some are UHF. The Colorado Connection repeaters ( The Colorado Connection Repeater Sites ) are all interlinked so when you make it into one, your transmission is heard on all 13 of them.
The front range is covered by a network of DMR amateur radio repeaters that has a Rocky Mountain talk group that covers from Cheyenne to Albuquerque although there are a lot of holes in the coverage, it does cover I 25 from Wyoming to New Mexico with about 70 % coverage.

In short, mountain top repeaters cover a large amount of the back country. I have been involved with VHF amateur radio repeaters since 1970 Not too many of the posters on here can make that statement. Not many are even from Colorado. I will not go in the back country without a VHF radio, a map and a compass.
GPS can fail, Google maps do not work if there is no cell signal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

OK, so hydro locking your engine wouldn't be a life or death emergency on it's own. That wouldn't be something I'd trigger a PLB for. But, that's a great application for amateur radio or a satellite phone.

As I said above, the satellite phone is an expensive option, especially if it's only occasionally needed. The benefit of it, though, is that you could call a tow truck or a friend directly, give them your location, and have a pretty good level of confidence that they are going to come and get you.
The other bonus is that it's a phone. No license required for you or the person you call or calls you.
Yeah, but the cost….

Cost wise, amateur radio is probably your best bang for the buck if you can accept the limitations.

I think you are on the right track, then. Amateur radio fits that bill. Between repeaters and the simplex frequencies, you have a number of options.
There are a lot of different bands, modes and different ways of communicating that you'd have at your disposal. The VHF/UHF radio and an available repeater gives you pretty reliable communications. VHF/UHF simplex gives you good line of sight communications.
HF would give you longer range communications, but will require larger antennas, more expensive radio, etc.
Another facet of amateur radio you may find interesting is APRS. This is a way you can transmit your location out over the radio, have it picked up by gateways and posted on the internet. Using it while off road would give someone else the ability to see your location, which can be useful.

KCOKP covered that well. There are lots of sources of repeater info, both printed handbooks (see the ARRL Repeater Directory) as well as numerous on line sources.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of options and it's rare for someone who becomes active in amateur radio to have only one radio. You'll likely find a portable radio is a good option, especially if you need to abandon your vehicle and hike out.
Also, you may find that as your interests and needs change, you'll want to upgrade your radio. I'd recommend starting off with either a single band VHF mobile or a dual band radio. Use that for a while and see what you think. If amateur radio interests you and fills the need, you may want to look at other radios down the road. A HF radio might be a good option, or a VHF/UHF radio with more features.

Either way, you'll have a lot of options with the amateur license. Even more if you can get others interested in obtaining their own licenses.

Thank you all very much for the informative, and supportive knowledge.

I'll do more Google research on this question but feel free to add any comments to help steer my education: are all amature radio licenses one test such, is it to each their own?

Also as mentioned above in this route I do plan to get a mobile radio and a permanent one for the jeep xj.

I'm very grateful for you all being so outgoing on explaining what it's probably the common new guy asking the basics.

ok, gonna burst a bubble here: I have been reading more, and i believe for me, I would appreciate my money/ability being spent toward a dual band/ dual receive radio.

who has experience with the kenwood TM-D710GA. dual receive/band and aprs/ gps all in one. It may be a tad more than a beginner radio, but i do not like spending as has been recommended on here, cheap or junk equipment. an investment is into a good or better than good tool. Its not the greatest, but its also capable.
Im just digging here, if something along these lines seems like a good route for dual band/receive uhf/vhf then this seems like a route worth more research for me. ide later add a mobile unit to this set up. through just current research it appears a popular route for communication- the dual frequencies i mean+ dual receive.

if anyone again has more links.advice, wisdom that they recommend i thank you kindly for you help on me learning and condensing my choices. I think this tool and license can aide me more than my immediate intended use, but it could also be an aid for others.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll do more Google research on this question but feel free to add any comments to help steer my education: are all amature radio licenses one test such, is it to each their own?

Each license class has it's own specific pool of questions.
So, for the Technician test, the questions would be pulled from the Technician question pool
For the General Test, the questions would be pulled from the General question pool.
etc….

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
who has experience with the kenwood TM-D710GA. dual receive/band and aprs/ gps all in one. It may be a tad more than a beginner radio, but i do not like spending as has been recommended on here, cheap or junk equipment. an investment is into a good or better than good tool. Its not the greatest, but its also capable.
Im just digging here, if something along these lines seems like a good route for dual band/receive uhf/vhf then this seems like a route worth more research for me. ide later add a mobile unit to this set up. through just current research it appears a popular route for communication- the dual frequencies i mean+ dual receive.

Excellent radio, I owned one for several years.

If your budget will allow it, then go for it. It would be hard to find a better VHF/UHF dual band radio on the market. There are some newer radios that combine some digital modes, but there's a big issue with going digital:
There's several digital modes used by amateur radio operators. The radios out there now usually only support a single digital mode. Buying into digital locks you into that mode.

But, as for the TM-D710, great radio. Dual receivers allow you to run VHF/UHF, VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF, which can be handy.
Using the APRS side, you'll tie up one of the receivers just for that, but you'll still have the other side for your voice use.

Kenwood makes some solid radios. I've been happy with mine. I think this would be a good choice.

if anyone again has more links.advice, wisdom that they recommend i thank you kindly for you help on me learning and condensing my choices. I think this tool and license can aide me more than my immediate intended use, but it could also be an aid for others.

So much of your success with amateur radio will depend on the installation and the antenna. Often people will try to take shortcuts on the install, and this rarely ends well. Especially off road, you want the radio mounted well where it won't bounce around. You want power fed directly off the battery, not tapped into existing vehicle wiring or, worse yet, cigarette lighter plugs.
Also, you really need to put a lot of effort into the antenna. Often antennas become an after thought. People buy the radio, then sort of grab a random antenna at the last minute. You need to treat your antenna choice, install and setup with as much care and focus as choosing your radio. On a Jeep, it becomes even more important. Don't go cheap on your antenna, you'll regret it.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I always thought rule #1 was never go off road alone ? That said - I'm guilty as well. I'm in Ohio - but took a week trip in CO several years ago. Around '02 - so conditions and cell coverage may be better. No super tough trails, but would not have wanted to walk either.

Had a 2 meter installed and decent antenna. I seemed to never be out of repeater range, but fellow Hams know how that works. This was when you still carried repeater books as well. There is a pretty good linked repeater system in CO (or was). No idea how just plain cell reception works.

As others mentioned Spot is really the way to go - if you go a lot and are aware of the monthly charge.

I hydro locked a 4.0 YJ and had to walk out around 4 miles. A 2 meter did help - was able to get someone to call home for assistance.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Each license class has it's own specific pool of questions.
So, for the Technician test, the questions would be pulled from the Technician question pool
For the General Test, the questions would be pulled from the General question pool.
etc….

Just to add.. Amateur radio is technical hobby, not a 'talking' hobby like CB, GMRS, FRS etc. You have to know electronic theory, operating practices, and rules and regulations. For a non-technical person, it takes a fair bit of ambition and effort to get involved.

Here is a site that has the exam questions for each level of amateur license so you know what to expect: https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/question_pools.htm

cmdrwill

It's actually never go without telling someone when/where you are going to be.

EXACTLY, this IS what we were told on no uncertain terms. Even if I was making that trip to Mt Wilson, I had to make sure the boss knew where I was going and when I would be coming down the hill. Luckily we had fairly good coverage on two commercial UHF repeaters. But the repeaters did not cover all the dirt roads we had to travel. Cell phones do not cover even a little bit of these roads today. Nextel did not work in the hills either, 1990's.

Rred

"Google maps do not work if there is no cell signal."
Obsoleted. While Gargoyle Maps can still be fun ("Continue driving east for five miles" while I'm looking at the setting sun. "Continue south for 758 miles then make the next available u-turn.") it has had the ability to cache maps for off-line use for several years and versions now.
You just have to select the area in advance, then tell it to cache them for later use offline.

The OP really might want to look at DeLorme InReach, or Spot, or YellowBrick. Yes, they are all satellite devices that charge subscriptions (with different plans and rates) but they give you the option to contact your own "helpers". Sometimes to have two-way text messaging. And always, to call for professional SAR if necessary, using satellite communications (no worry about coverage) and not much brains needed. In case a totally untrained guest has to punch the button.

It could also be worthwhile to buy a secondhand ham radio and magmount antenna, throw them on the jeep one weekend and see if you can HEAR any traffic while scanning the repeaters. If you don't hear any traffic, don't hear any repeaters ID'ing on the air? There may be no coverage, so no use for an expensive radio and permanent installation. To a lesser extent, a cheap Chinese handheld (ahem) can pretty much do the same thing for $30 and just be thrown in the Jeep.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
"Google maps do not work if there is no cell signal."
Obsoleted. While Gargoyle Maps can still be fun ("Continue driving east for five miles" while I'm looking at the setting sun. "Continue south for 758 miles then make the next available u-turn.") it has had the ability to cache maps for off-line use for several years and versions now.
You just have to select the area in advance, then tell it to cache them for later use offline.

The OP really might want to look at DeLorme InReach, or Spot, or YellowBrick. Yes, they are all satellite devices that charge subscriptions (with different plans and rates) but they give you the option to contact your own "helpers". Sometimes to have two-way text messaging. And always, to call for professional SAR if necessary, using satellite communications (no worry about coverage) and not much brains needed. In case a totally untrained guest has to punch the button.

It could also be worthwhile to buy a secondhand ham radio and magmount antenna, throw them on the jeep one weekend and see if you can HEAR any traffic while scanning the repeaters. If you don't hear any traffic, don't hear any repeaters ID'ing on the air? There may be no coverage, so no use for an expensive radio and permanent installation. To a lesser extent, a cheap Chinese handheld (ahem) can pretty much do the same thing for $30 and just be thrown in the Jeep.

That actually gives me an idea with a sat phone like device that is strictly pay-as-you-go for texting since more and more 911 centers are gearing up for texting support.

Status
Not open for further replies.