Not hearing CSP 1A TGs at all in JEF CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cohamwx

Just moved to Ken Caryl/Unincorporated Littleton area and monitoring the state DTRS and I can’t hear any CSP traffic at all on any of the 1A/Jeff Co or Clear Creek TGs. Anyone else having trouble hearing them or are they just that quiet?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Just moved to Ken Caryl/Unincorporated Littleton area and monitoring the state DTRS and I can’t hear any CSP traffic at all on any of the 1A/Jeff Co or Clear Creek TGs. Anyone else having trouble hearing them or are they just that quiet?

If you have a Uniden scanner, then you are encountering issues with patching. The Colorado State Patrol wiki article has a section covering patching and has a lot of good information for monitoring CSP.

An example of today: 1A was on 1E (2401) around the time of your post, then on 1C (2301) for about half an hour, their own TG (2381) for several hours, back to 1C briefly, and have been on 1E for the rest of the morning at the time of this reply. The last time they were on their own TG throughout the entire day was a couple of days ago on the 20th.

Monitoring the right site is also important for a large system like DTRS. It is important to use sites intended to provide coverage for the agency you are trying to monitor. One might be able to hear a site 30 miles away, but that does not mean it is the best site to monitor.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Thanks for the info and I am using a RS pro197. I didn’t see any sites dedicated to CSP traffic near me.

Apologies if my previous reply was misleading. I meant it more as you should select sites that are designed to cover a particular geographic area that the agency is normally found in.

Colorado DTRS, like most large multi-site trunked radio systems, uses the process of affiliation to determine what radio traffic a site will carry. A radio basically checks in with a site with what talkgroup they are using so the site will know what talkgroups to transmit over the air. This works to preserve frequency resources as it is not possible for any single site to carry all traffic on the system at once.

As a scanner user who does not have an actual radio, you will want to select sites that will most likely have an affiliation for the talkgroup you want to monitor. A general rule to follow is to select sites that are close to what you are trying to monitor. The database has a site map that can be used to see site locations. Keep in mind that Colorado has a lot of geographic features, like mountains, so the closest site might not be the best one. There are also a number of special exceptions for certain sites which makes picking the right site a bit complicated.

A few users program individual sites as their own systems to monitor certain talkgroups because of this. Lookout Mountain (1-008) provides good coverage for a big part of Jefferson County (and other parts), so it is the first site you should try.

Status
Not open for further replies.