The media and Pro-96's

Status
Not open for further replies.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I was a 2 alarm fire in Colorado Springs Monday evening, and it was quite the media event (3 blocks from KRDO, and less than a mile from KOAA). I noticed that although not every media person was carrying a scanner, quite a few were and everyone of them was a Pro-96. Not a Uniden in the bunch.
Nothing more than an observation, and I have no idea why it is this way.
As for me, I was carrying my XTS-3000!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Nothing more than an observation, and I have no idea why it is this way.

Maybe because they are so easy to program and overall just a very good solid, dependable radio, especially for non-commercial quality.

Jim<

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No, more likely because it was the first to market. For most selling the Pro96 and getting a 396T wasn't worth the hassle, for me it was only about a $100 cut from EBay-ing (and got nearly two years service so worth it.)

But I can see how media outlets would not find the need to upgrade.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
rdale said:
No, more likely because it was the first to market.

I might be wrong... but didn't UNIDEN beat RadioShack to the market with a Digital APCO25 scanner?

BCJ2

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they use win96 to?? haha

safetyobc

The major media outlets here in Arkansas (a couple of them anyways) use the BCD396T's. I programmed several of them. They also use the BC796D's in their stations. Probably just buyer's preference on what the media outlet's purchase.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"but didn't UNIDEN beat RadioShack to the market with a Digital APCO25 scanner?"

No, Uniden had the first digital but it only worked for mixed-mode systems. The Pro96 was the first that handled APCO P25 digital systems, like Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.