Recommendation on cheap scanner as a present

Status
Not open for further replies.

GV27

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for this and please forgive my ignorance and laziness.

I just started a new job and am working my tush off and have zero spare time to research. I try to avoid posting threads where "do a search" is the best answer. I have done some searching but just found myself mired and I just don't have spare time to really dive deep. I'd really appreciate if y'all could humor me here!

I'm a ham (KE0OIC) but I'm completely ignorant about scanners and wide-band receivers in general. My father-in-law just moved out here to Colorado from Florida to be near us and I'm finally getting to "really" know him after only spending about 1 week a year with him for the last 20 years. He's mildly interested in my ham radios but I can tell he's really interested in listening to police/fire/EMT traffic. I'd like to buy him one for Christmas but have been strictly forbidden from spending "real" money.

Can you guys recommend a scanner or wide-band receiver for under $100? I know that that sort of money isn't going to get me the digital scanner that he really needs for listening to the police in our area but I've spent a bit of time with my ham gear listening to ambulance services, the county jail, air traffic control, etc. so I know there are plenty of interesting analog signals to listen to around here (Denver metro area). He's not very technical but could definitely handle looking up frequencies here on RadioReference and tuning his radio in to them.

Thank you so much in advance for any input, and again my apologies for my general, poorly researched "I don't have time" post. It's not generally how I roll but this Christmas season it's really what I need.

Chris

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
If you’re content with what you hear on your ham gear, a Bc125at would probably be worth looking into. I have heard pretty decent things about them, for what they are, but I have no firsthand experience with them.

Jeff.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
GV27-Where are you located? Quite a bit of scanner traffic in Colorado is on one of the trunked systems. Knowing where you (or your Dad) is will allow us to determine what features are needed for a scanner in your area.

You can also check the database and 'see' what your local EMS is using.

wbswetnam

If you’re content with what you hear on your ham gear, a Bc125at would probably be worth looking into. I have heard pretty decent things about them, for what they are, but I have no firsthand experience with them.

Jeff.

I have a BC125AT, it is an excellent scanner. However, it is analog only, and no trunking. You would not be able to listen to anything on your statewide digital system. I did a reverse look up of your ham callsign, and you seem to live in the greater Denver area. With a BC125AT the only thing you will be able to hear is rural fire dispatches.

I'd recommend a Whistler WS-1065 from its "Scratch and Dent" sale page. You can get a refurbished WS-1065 P25 digital scanner with a few cosmetic faults for the ultra-low price of $135. With that radio, you can monitor the Colorado statewide system. The sale includes the programming cable, which is usually sold separately for an extra $20: https://whistlergroup.com/products/scratch-dent-ws1088?variant=763211513884

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I'll second the 125. It also works well for aircraft and other analog listening.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I have a BC125AT, it is an excellent scanner. However, it is analog only, and no trunking. You would not be able to listen to anything on your statewide digital system. I did a reverse look up of your ham callsign, and you seem to live in the greater Denver area. With a BC125AT the only thing you will be able to hear is rural fire dispatches.

I'd recommend a Whistler WS-1065 from its "Scratch and Dent" sale page. You can get a refurbished WS-1065 P25 digital scanner with a few cosmetic faults for the ultra-low price of $135. With that radio, you can monitor the Colorado statewide system. The sale includes the programming cable, which is usually sold separately for an extra $20: https://whistlergroup.com/products/scratch-dent-ws1088?variant=763211513884

I'll second getting at least an analog trunking scanner. There appears to be a lot of public safety in the Denver area that is on analog trunking. See:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=259

The WS-1065 is a really good deal for a P25 Phase I digital/analog scanner (including 90 day warranty) but you will probably need to pay for programming software. I don't think there is a free alternative for most Whistler models. Another option to consider is a Uniden BCT15X analog trunking scanner. Amazon has one that is used for $106. I believe Amazon will cover it against being DOA. You can use the free software FreeScan with that model although you may need to buy a cable. Just a thought.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I'll second getting at least an analog trunking scanner. There appears to be a lot of public safety in the Denver area that is on analog trunking. See:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=259

Public safety for Denver is on that system. The rest of the surrounding Denver area is split up between many different P25 systems.

An important thing to know before considering an analog trunking scanner is that Denver is planning to migrate to a P25 Phase 2 system in the next year. Getting an analog trunking scanner will only let one listen to Denver for maybe another year before they end up in the same place as getting a non-trunking analog scanner.

The WS1065 route is not a bad idea, but it will not work on any system that uses Phase 2 (TDMA) mode on their talkgroups. Aurora is an example of this, and Denver will likely be the same. Also keep in mind that there is big trend towards encryption by law enforcement, so getting latest scanners does not guarantee that you will be able to monitor them in the future.

Michael-SATX

Get him the WS-1065 for only $135 - All Day Long !!!

The WS-1065 is a really good deal for a P25 Phase I digital/analog scanner (including 90 day warranty) but you will probably need to pay for programming software. I don't think there is a free alternative for most Whistler models.

Get him the WS-1065 for only $135 - All Day Long !!! Have Digital capability forget the analog BCT-15X.
After receiving your scratch and dent WS-1065 and it passes the NOAA WX receive test - go download
a program called WIN500 from starrsoft.com and use to get your father in law loaded during 30-day trial.
I basically have 4 of those equivalent models and love the features such as hit counters and favorites.
I can visualize and older guy that may not be quite able to read a smaller scanner display especially if
he is sitting away from it appreciating the custom pilot LED that could be assigned say Blue=PD, Red=FD,
Gold=SO, Green=Military, Violet=Federal and White=Air and even have it flash for say dispatch groups.
So he hears traffic and glances at the red LED color he can then think ok that is Fire/EMS type traffic, etc.
Last he can shift gears from SCAN to say "FAVS" when he just wants his favorites only to be scanned.
Lastly in looking at your Denver Co public safety trunking systems - don't even think about the BC-125AT.
After one looks over what is in Denver Co Colorado to be scanned you NEED a Digital Scanner Period !

Denver and SA have the same EDACS /ESK yours is mostly analog with very little Pro-Voice Digital TG's
The WS-1065 would RX the vast majority of talkgroups https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=259

Wow you NEED to RX the State of Colorado DTRS https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=329

The older Military Trunking system look here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2990

Bottom Line: wbswetnam 's recommendation is the best - find that $35 over budget make Santa proud ;)

ps ~ There might even be some guys willing to email their Denver Co WIN500 file for a starting point ?

GV27

Hey now we're really getting somewhere. I might be able to get him something that he can use to listen to a lot more stuff than I thought within my budget. I was thinking it was going to cost at least $400 (at least for brand new gear) to listen to any of the trunked systems around here.

I have no illusion that within the budget I've been given by both my wife and mother-in-law that I was going to be able to get him something ideal for all that he might want to listen to. We moved them out here from Florida in the spring and the man needs a hobby. He was into woodworking in Florida but now they live in a condo. I've offered up my garage and tools but it's just not the same as being able to go out to your own shop and putter in your free time.

We paid for probably 75% of their moving costs out here and so I've been forbidden from spending much, but I'd like to get him a christmas present and he's expressed quite a bit of interest in my ham gear. I can tell though that he's not really interested in the ham side of things - his questions always go to what sort of other things I can pick up and reminiscing about a scanner he had in the 70s. I just want to get him something he can play with, keep his interest for a little while and see if it's something where he might want to save up and buy the scanner he REALLY wants.

My FCC registration does indeed have my correct address which is on the west side of the Denver Metro area. From what I can see all the police and fire are on digital trunked systems (which I know zero about). But there are quite a few analog frequencies around here that are interesting.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Chris

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you give him a gift certificate for $150 or $200, let him come up with the rest of the money, and get a scanner he can really use and enjoy the Denver area.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
What area or city is he located in or is of interest for him? There are several law agencies
that are unfortunately unmonitorable however fire agencies are monitorable.

Denver will eventually move to P25 in the future.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Like posted above SDR is a cheap option but requires above basic computer skills and a working knowledge of FM radio systems. If he can install his own computer OS hardware and software he most likely has the PC skill levels and you only have to help him with the FM radio side of this. Its only $20 to $30 dollars for this route.

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
scanner for under $100.00

i just bought a uniden bc125at and have been using it for about a month now and it is a great handheld scanner although it does not pick up 800 mhz i got mine from amazon for under $90.00 i think now there at a little under $100.00 might be just what he needs

GV27

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think i'm going to go with the bc125at. I missed that "scratch and dent" Whistler unfortunately. They only had the one and somebody else bought it. I know the little Uniden isn't ideal and won't do everything he might want it to do but it'll get him started I think.

SDR is a good idea but he's pretty computer illiterate. He does have laptop but I don't think he could handle it. He can find the "any" key but his skills get shaky beyond that! I ordered one for myself though!

Thanks again,

Chris

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
So many scanner suggestions without the OP specifically listing what agencies they want to monitor.

First figure out what agencies you want to monitor, then match the scanner you need to monitor that agency.

Denver Public Safety will be Phase II in a year and I'd hate to see anyone invest in a scanner that wont' work in a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.