Loveland Pass Hazmat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else listening to the communication side of this call?

First off because of where the accident occured on US-6 switchbacks just above Arapahoe Basin it's already known or I thought it was there is no DTRS coverage, even though CSP 6B (Summit County) completely switched to Denver dispatch on DTRS April 1st. Summit County hazmat team was having no trouble talking to Summit County Comm Center on VHF but when CSP arrived onscene they were "out of touch" with Denver dispatch, DTRS, Nlec and State 3 did not work they even tried the old 155.445 with CSP Craig but were told that link had been disconnected. And of course no cell phone coverage in that area either.

So they began to relay thru Summit County and all was fine until the CSP Hazmat units began arriving onscene (8 Charlie units) from the big city, they were talking to Denver dispatch until they "went past Keystone" and now the CSP Captain is leaving the Frisco office and advising Summit County dispatch to have one unit onscene go to the top of Loveland Pass so he can talk to them on DTRS Tac. (Squaw).

http://tinyurl.com/mjplr

Any idea why is digital technology implemented in a county that does not have the towers (only one currently) to support it. ?

Jim<

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Kind of a critical spot to have DTRS comms with all the HazMat cargo passing through there, one would think?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
I thought FREN 1 and 2 where statewide....just for times like this???

Are you referring to FERN? That's Fire Emergency Radio Network and not used by CSP or police agencies and does not cover the distances involved in the troopers talking back to Denver, as Fern channels are simplex.

Jim<

Troop

jimmnn said:
Are you referring to FERN? That's Fire Emergency Radio Network and not used by CSP or police agencies and does not cover the distances involved in the troopers talking back to Denver, as Fern channels are simplex.

Jim<

Actually most of our cars have it somewhere on the VHF radio...i've used it to land airlife several times, talk to the local fire departments, and from Greeley talked to the Airlife base to find out where they were going....albeit most Troopers dont know what it is or what it's used for

cstockmyer

The whole reasion I brought up FREN is I saw this when I was looking around for radio frequencies

FERN Fire Emergency Radio Network
FCC Designated Fire Mutual Aid Frequency. Mutual aid must be involved to be used (can include non fire mutual aid - i.e. helicopter ambulance, law, etc).

But like Troop said...I've heard it used for a lot, mostly Air life and fight for life landings. The info I have is that FREN Ch3 is for hazmat incidents. Any one eles have info?

Also does anyone have the Air life, Flight for life dispatches...also the Denver Unicom frequencies? I had them on my scanner, but when I loaded it using win 97 I lost them.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Troop said:
Actually most of our cars have it somewhere on the VHF radio...i've used it to land airlife several times, talk to the local fire departments, and from Greeley talked to the Airlife base to find out where they were going....albeit most Troopers dont know what it is or what it's used for

The 6B troopers I work with have no idea what, who or how FERN is used.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Also does anyone have the Air life, Flight for life dispatches...also the Denver Unicom frequencies? I had them on my scanner, but when I loaded it using win 97 I lost them.

Might check the datebase and past threads also.

AirLife Denver 123.075, 462.950

FFL Denver 130.150, 462.975 (155.355 Springs) (155.340 Frisco)

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.