Fatal Amb Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Fatal accident involving a Pridemark Ambulance running emergent at the corner of 30th & Euclid in Boulder this evening, driver of the vehicle hit by the ambulance did not survive.

Jim<

Last edited:

scanjunkie

God Bless the victim and their family...

That is ashame and I feel for the family, but your assesment of EMS response is incorrect. EMS response to a fire incident is certainly an emergency response. There may be unreported injuries at the scene, they need to set up rehab at major incidents, be on scene right away to assist any injured or ill firefighters, some may be involved in rescue efforts, etc, etc. I don't know the details of the incident, but as much as the Emergency driver has a responsibility to drive with due regard, the public has a legal obligation to yield to emergency vehicles...
Take care....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It matters not what the call turned out to be, it matters what it was dispatched as.

Far too often I see people criticizng emergency services for responding lights and sirens to a "false alarm". That's not the case. It's not false until it's confirmed false. If it's reported as a possible house fire, it's treated as a house fire until proven otherwise. If it's a barbecue fire and it's up against the wall of the house, it's treated as a house fire.

EMS here will respond "cold" (no lights/sirens) if it sounds like there are no patients at a scene. However, if there is any doubt as to whether or not someone needs medical assistance, they'll go "hot".

There's far too little information in the original post to make any kind of armchair critique of the situation. Was the call reported as a barbecue fire or a house fire or an "investigation" of smoke? Did the ambulance have the (normal) right of way - i.e. a green light or lack of stop sign? Did the vehicle struck by the ambulance pull out when it was unsafe to do so?

The death is indeed tragic, but blaming it on the ambulance crew or their response is inappropriate to say the least.

skipshark773

Jay said:
It matters not what the call turned out to be, it matters what it was dispatched as.

Far too often I see people criticizng emergency services for responding lights and sirens to a "false alarm". That's not the case. It's not false until it's confirmed false. If it's reported as a possible house fire, it's treated as a house fire until proven otherwise. If it's a barbecue fire and it's up against the wall of the house, it's treated as a house fire.

EMS here will respond "cold" (no lights/sirens) if it sounds like there are no patients at a scene. However, if there is any doubt as to whether or not someone needs medical assistance, they'll go "hot".

There's far too little information in the original post to make any kind of armchair critique of the situation. Was the call reported as a barbecue fire or a house fire or an "investigation" of smoke? Did the ambulance have the (normal) right of way - i.e. a green light or lack of stop sign? Did the vehicle struck by the ambulance pull out when it was unsafe to do so?

The death is indeed tragic, but blaming it on the ambulance crew or their response is inappropriate to say the least.

I agree with the above statement, there is not enough information on the incident to determine weather or not the ambulance crew was at fault. But also keep in mind that the use of code 3 equipment does not automatically relieve emergency services personnel from driving with due regard for the public safety.

hoser147

Heartfelt sympathy to the family of the victim of the accident. Your assesment of the EMS units response was not correct it is standard protocal for ems to respond with Fire crews to the scene for unknown victims and for emergency personel on scene, just as law enforcement responds to such incidents. To little information on the Fire was the grill in a garage or close to exposures, or the posibility of the fuel tank exploding? When responding to emergency calls the responding units are well aware of other traffic and pedestrians, all to often people are being unattentive with thier driving have the radio turned up or on cell phones or talking,eating and what not, or just dont see or hear the approaching EV. Dont be so quick to place judgement the accident will be investigated and critiqued far more than anyother MVA. Please keep us posted on the outcome................hoser147

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
OK rather than make this a national debate on response criteria and SOP's, which vary greatly by the way, let's get back on the subject and topic at hand. Many local departments here do not send EMS or PD on house fire calls as Hosier mentioned as being "standard procedure", so just because it's your procedure or policy certainly does not mean it's my departments, areas or states.

Jim<

DFD broadsided a car this morning as well so let's put the focus on safe emergency vehicle operation instead of Monday morning quarterbacking.

Thanks Jim<

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Teenage girl dies after hitting ambulance

By Camera staff
May 2, 2006

The driver who died Monday night after her car collided with an ambulance has been identified as a 16-year-old girl.

The Boulder County Coroner’s Office today said Hannah Nicole Bauer Boemker of Lafayette died of multiple blunt force injuries sustained in the accident, which happened at 6:50 p.m., according to Boulder police. Friends said she was a junior at Boulder High School.

A Pridemark Paramedic Services ambulance was traveling southbound on 30th Street en route to a call when a Honda driven by Boemker made a left turn from Euclid Avenue onto northbound 30th Street. The ambulance, which had its siren and emergency lights activated, struck the driver’s side of the Honda, police spokeswoman Julie Brooks said.

Boemker was transported to Boulder Community Hospital, Brooks said. The driver of the ambulance also was taken to the hospital. Police did not have information on the extent of his injuries Tuesday. Another Pridemark paramedic traveling in the ambulance did not need to be transported, Brooks said.

Boemker was leaving work from Golden West Senior Residence when the accident occurred, friends said Tuesday. They were creating a makeshift memorial to Boemker today at the accident scene.

The intersection is controlled by stop signs for east and westbound traffic, but there are no traffic controls for north and southbound traffic. Residents in the area said 30th and Euclid is a dangerous intersection.

From my experience as a paramedic and a police officer............ If you do not get to the call you were sent on you are not doing anyone anygood.....

I can only imagine how the driver of the ambulance must feel............

Accidents happen no matter how careful we are........

Mic

uspshooter

Mic,
You got that right! My biggest fear was being in an accident, I can remember two instances from years ago where I nearly wrecked.

My kids jokingly call me a "grandpa driver," I call it defensive driving. Old habits die hard!

epbernstein

twowayradiomouse said:
From my experience as a paramedic and a police officer............ If you do not get to the call you were sent on you are not doing anyone anygood.....

I can only imagine how the driver of the ambulance must feel............

Accidents happen no matter how careful we are........

Mic

I feel awful for all concerned. When I was in EMS we took great care to clear intersections, stopping if necessary, hitting vehicles with our spotlights, etc. What makes this tough is that the intersection in question was not signalled--there is a stop sign which applied to the driver of the hit vehicle. I don't know what the driver of the emergency vehicle can do in that case, especially given the particular visibility at that intersection.

I was working at Denver General (now Denver Health) in 1978 when one of our paramedics became paralyzed after his ambulance was involved in a crash enroute to DGH. He was thrown into the corner of a cabinet in the back of the rig, IIRC...

My condolences to all involved. My daughter knew who the victim was, but did not know her personally...

RISC777

skipshark773 said:
I agree with the above statement, there is not enough information on the incident to determine weather or not the ambulance crew was at fault. But also keep in mind that the use of code 3 equipment does not automatically relieve emergency services personnel from driving with due regard for the public safety.
Anyone and everyone driving any motorized vehicle should do so with a 'defensive driving' mentality be it a POV, utility rig, semi, emergency service, etc. But the bottom line is, regardless of all when there's lights and siren going...get the hell out of their way (safely).

Status
Not open for further replies.