Persuit leads to officer involved shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGroves

At 1:17am a Commerce City PD unit attempted to stop a dully pickup pulling a flat bead trailer with a piece of heavy machinery on it pulling out of Reunion at 104th near Tower Rd. The vehicle failed to yield and headed W/B 104th. The watch commander then asked what the reason for the stop was. The officer advised that it was traffic and the fact that he was pulling out of a construction site in the middle of the night. The watch commander advised the officer to discontinue the pursuit. The officer then began to follow from a distance. The suspect was halted by a train at 104th and Hwy 85. The suspect pulled in to a business parking lot, blacked out, and went to turn around. When the suspect pulled out he attempted to ram the perusing officer. The pursuit was then re-initiated. The vehicle traveled at speeds no greater then 50 mph back to Hwy 2, then north to sable. At sable Blvd the suspect went eastbound on to I-76. Stops sticks were deployed along the way by the officers that went north on Hwy 85 to get around the train. At around 128th Ave the vehicle crossed over the median and continued eastbound in the westbound lanes. When the watch commander was finally able to get on the radio he ordered the pursuit terminated again. By this point the suspect vehicle was just west of 136th Ave. At that point the suspect went off to the left side of the highway. The next radio traffic was shots fired. Chopper go!! For some reason they had to extricate him out of the truck. Not sure what happened with the truck. It was still upright when it came to a stop. The guy had two warrants at the time.

uspshooter

DGroves said:
When the watch commander was finally able to get on the radio he ordered the pursuit terminated again.

Leave it to Combat City, they have always been good for a pursuit!:) I had to delete my first reply to this because the soapbox broke partway through. Suffice it to say it sounds like the only injury was the bad guy, glad no officers were hurt.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Not much left of the pickup

ADAMS COUNTY - A section of I-76 was closed Wednesday morning following a police pursuit and shooting that ended with a pickup truck crashing through a median and into a tree.

The pickup was towing a bobcat that police suspect was stolen from a construction site. A Bobcat looks like a small front end loader.

Commerce City Police say officers saw the truck pull out of the Reunion subdivision with the Bobcat in tow. Officer had the area under surveillance because of several recent thefts of construction materials.

The officers tried to pull over the pickup, but the driver didn't stop, according to police. Another officer tried to lay down stop sticks in front of the pickup, but the driver tried to run over the officer.

A short time later, officers opened fire on the truck. The truck went off the road at I-76 and 136th and crashed into a tree in a campground just off the interstate.

The weight of the backhoe crumpled the truck against the tree. The driver was airlifted to the hospital, but a condition has not been released.

Officials have not said whether the suspect was hit by gunfire.

Last edited:

Troop

I bet some heads roll over that one...when a chase is terminated it means just that....stop chasing, stop following...turn around.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Troop said:
I bet some heads roll over that one...when a chase is terminated it means just that....stop chasing, stop following...turn around.

But we are talking Comm City here the metro area's pursuit "experts" remember when they chased someone well into Thornton with an unmarked car and then caused either a fatal accident or a very serious inj accident. I monitor them just for the pursuits.

Jim<

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Let me see if I get this right or not. CCPD is staking out this particular construction site due to all the thefts and such lately. In the early morning hours an officer observes a truck pulling out of the const site with a bobcat in tow. He attempts to stop the vehicle, the vehicle refuses to stop so he gives chase. Then the supervisor calls it off. Now what sense does that make. Lets stake out an area of high crime. We see a suspicious vehicle loaded with const equipment pulling out in the early morning hours and we call off the attempted stop of that vehicle.

And then the superivsor tried to call it off a 2nd time after the vehicle attempted to run down and officer applying stop sticks. Am I reading that right??? If all of that is correct. Its the supervisor that needs spoken to. That or CCPD needs to quit wasting taxpayer money staking out crime areas..

But thats just my opinion of course.

Dave

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
CCPD also assigns traffic units to that area as its a well traveled path from DIA to the north and northeast suburbs.

Also, none of us were in the car with the officer(s) involved, so we don't have all the facts other than what was overheard on their DTRS channel.

DGroves

The reason it was called off a second time was when he crossed over the median and started traveling the wrong direction on the the highway. I like the fact that Commerce isn't affraid to persue. I would like to see statistics of how many people ran from the police when they were allowed to freely persue versus now adays with all the politics.

I hate all the revenue generating traffic enforcement they do up here at 104th and Hwy 85. My GF especially does, they got her. She's retarded for not remembering that they are out there almost every day though.

Commands to stop pursuit have to be a tough decision. The folks taking that position have a job which likely requires skills and exprience most of us likely cannot comprehend or relate to at best. The balance of public safety and catching the bad guy is, and likely will be, an ongoing issue. Troop's comment regarding the termination is valid. Stop means just that, it's a directive from command. I would prefer command take a position: Get the bad guy. I'll take the risk of being in the area of the pursuit.

cstockmyer

k0pwo said:
Let me see if I get this right or not. CCPD is staking out this particular construction site due to all the thefts and such lately. In the early morning hours an officer observes a truck pulling out of the const site with a bobcat in tow. He attempts to stop the vehicle, the vehicle refuses to stop so he gives chase. Then the supervisor calls it off. Now what sense does that make. Lets stake out an area of high crime. We see a suspicious vehicle loaded with const equipment pulling out in the early morning hours and we call off the attempted stop of that vehicle.

And then the superivsor tried to call it off a 2nd time after the vehicle attempted to run down and officer applying stop sticks. Am I reading that right??? If all of that is correct. Its the supervisor that needs spoken to. That or CCPD needs to quit wasting taxpayer money staking out crime areas..

But thats just my opinion of course.

Dave

The minute he used his car as a weapon, in trying to run down a police officer. That's assault 1 boys and girls. That Sargent needs to go back to patrol where you watch your brother or sisters back.

Troop

until you have been in alot of high speed chases it's hard to understand why anyone in their right mind would call off a chase. After being in a bunch it's very easy to see, sure catching the bad guy is what every cop is taught and it's easy to get tunnel vision and miss the big picture. There's several factors that could have been brought into play, was the officer new?, what's the department policy? etc.....Now dont get me wrong, I love a good chase but i'd almost rather call one off then start one. That's why our agency has never had a issue with chases, we are trained to chase when it's needed and call it off when it's needed, with little or no input from supervision. I can tell you one thing forsure, if a chase is terminated and people are still "following", the trail of liability follows them from that point on, and it's just not worth it.

Ok

Troop,

I respect your opinion, well thought out, and influeced by department policy.

Be safe out there, wish there were more like you...........

Mic.

uspshooter

Unless something has changed in the last couple years, CCPD is not normally a department that will terminate any chase. Some of the best chases I've dispatched were in CCPD. If you search the news for the past 10-15 years, you'll find CCPD coming up quite a bit. (I think the first major negative news was from a pursuit that ended up on I76 where the suspect hit and killed a highway worker near I270.) Apparently bad things happening during a pursuit don't affect their decision making process. Troop I think the officer's training is just the opposite of yours, they'll chase until told to stop.

I'm not at all surprised at all that this pursuit resumed as it was normal for officers to "follow" the suspect vehicle after termination.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Victim dies at DG.

ADAMS COUNTY - A man died Thursday after being airlifted Wednesday from the scene of a car crash that started with a police pursuit.

Pickup crashes into tree after police pursuit and shooting

Toby Cordova, 33, died at Denver Health Medical Center.

Police pursued Cordova Wednesday after he attempted to steal a small tractor from a construction project in Reunion subdivision.

Police say that Cordova tried to elude officers despite several attempts to stop him.

According to the police report, when officers attempted to use Stop Sticks for the second time, Cordova drove his truck toward one of the officers who opened fire.

Cordova lost control, drove across a field, and collided with a tree.

He was airlifted to Denver Health Medical Center in critical condition until Thursday when he died. An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the cause of death.

Cordova's crash forced the closure of a section of I-76 on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.