Denver Firefighter down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Hey I just turned on my scanner and heard they where taking a Denver Firefighter code 10 to DG...anyone got any info?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Hey I just turned on my scanner and heard they where taking a Denver Firefighter code 10 to DG...anyone got any info?

He was injured while fighting a fire at Virginia and High.

They are reporting serious injs and Chief of the Dept now enroute to Denver Health.

Jim<

cstockmyer

That's to bad. Most the news stations say they found him face down not breathing....not good at all.

Last I heard they had called for Arson and Homicide to come to the scene.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
CBS4) DENVER A firefighter was injured late Tuesday morning while fighting a fire at 501 S. High Street in Denver. Another firefighter found the injured man face down inside a home and dragged him out.

The veteran firefighter was hospitalized after having to be resuscitated at the scene. He was said to be in serious but stable condition. It wasn't clear exactly what caused the injury or why he fell.

Other firefighters on his crew were relieved and allowed to head for the hospital and check on the injured man's condition. He was said to be in great shape and very experienced.

Two people were in the home when the fire started in the basement. They were able to get out without being hurt.

People driving by the home had noticed the smoke and called 911. One woman then went to help the residents get out of the home.

"I went up to help him bring her out of the house and find out if anyone else was in the house and she was really worried about her cat that was in the house," Carol Singer, a witness who called 911 said. "We were able to get her safely across the street and smoke was billowing out all over the place by this time."

Firefighters said basement fires can be especially dangerous because heat can be trapped below firefighters who don't know what to expect as they head to the lower level.

fairrpe86

DENVER -- A strong, physically fit, Denver firefighter collapsed late Tuesday morning battling a basement fire at 501 South High Street and investigators are

Billy Green, 35, had to be resuscitated at the scene and was then transported to Denver Health Medical Center.

"He is in critical condition, but is stable," said Fire Chief Larry Trujillo of the Denver Fire Department. Trujillo said that he and the doctors are optimistic but that Green still has not regained consciousness.

Trujillo said he "had no idea" what injured the firefighter but that firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire when they arrived at the one-story home. A few minutes after attacking the blaze, the firefighter was found face-down on the first floor of the home. He was discovered when another firefighter tripped over him.

The firefighter's wife was rushed to Denver Health Medical Center to be with her husband.

"This was one of the hotter and smokier fires that we've battled," said Trujillo.

Trujillo said that the injured firefighter was healthy and in good shape.

The blaze was quickly brought under control.

Two people who were in the home at the time of the fire were rescued by a Good Samaritan who was driving by and saw smoke billowing from the residence.

hoser147

Sorry to hear another brother is down My Prayers are with him and his family both the family and his working family as firefighters are a very tightnit group. I was once the firefighter down and after 4 neck surguries I had to drop down to adminastrative and Investigations untill last year when complications from the injury brought me into full retirement. hopefully the firefighter will pull thru and be able to continue serving the public in the capacity which Im sure he loved..........hoser147

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
Any more word on the DFD brothers condition?

Last I heard the chief was reporting he was stable but still uncon, also investigation underway on a possible malfunction or failure of the mask portion of his scba.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Good News

DENVER - A press conference was held Wednesday afternoon with an update on the condition of injured firefighter Billy Green.

Injured firefighter in critical but stable condition

Firefighter injured during fire

In Wednesday's press conference Fire Chief Larry Trujillo said Green is in good condition. He was not breathing, but paramedics revived him. A few more seconds, and he would not have survived.

Green was found by other firefighters lying on the first floor of a house fire Tuesday morning.

Green was immediately taken out of the house on a stretcher and emergency workers started CPR.

He was then taken to Denver Health Medical Center where he is now recovering. Today's press conference revealed that Green is in good shape and will most likely survive.

Green's wife, Dawn, was at the conference and said that he had been sitting up and joking around like he always does.

The fire broke out in the basement of a home where Rosa Lee was upstairs sleeping, according to her daughter Brenda Lujan. Lee was able to escape from the fire.

Last edited:

cstockmyer

The news @ 6 said he was awake and alert now, witch is good. His wife looked like she needed a days rest though.

evilklown

wow that is amazing that he pulled through that most people dont survive after they stop breathing but great efforts on the people that did bring him back. very lucky man.

Status
Not open for further replies.